"real" vs. "fake" protein

Options
Hi all. I just recently came to the revelation, oh hey, maybe everyone isn't making this whole "eat a bunch of protein" thing up. I have my macros set at 40/30/30 and it's been awesome. I used to have problems with binge eating and I don't anymore because I always feel full.

My question is... Is there a difference between getting your protein from food and getting it from protein bars, shakes, etc.? I probably get about half of my 135 grams of protein from shakes and bars. That seems high to me. I'm sure it would matter if you're hardcore about not eating anything processed, but I'm not really a stickler for that.

Thoughts?

Replies

• EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    Bump ... anyone?
  • luluattacks
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too...
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If I tried to hit my protein without shakes or bars, I wouldn't be able to actually eat that much. I seriously can only handle just so much chicken! But protein shakes, oh so many yummy combos to be enjoyed!
  • mruszaj
    mruszaj Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well, my personal trainer suggest eating your weight in protein in grams. So i weigh 115 lbs so he wants me to eat about 115 grams of protein a day, and he recommends shakes and protein bars. He suggest a high protein, moderate carb, and low fat diet, so your protein count should be a little bit higher or equal to your carb count, with fats being the lowest.

I've been working out with him for 6 weeks and I have lost about 6 lbs :) I'm fairly small already, so its hard for me to lose weight, but his advice is amazing.

Also, he suggests checking every single protein shake/bar/ any food at all for high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, or chemical sweeteners .. those actually make you put on weight, and they are even in so called healthy foods such as some oatmeal brands.

Hope i helped :)
  • parnyparn
    parnyparn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Currently I get 90% of my protein from a shake but thats only because I am trying to slowly re-establish a good relationship with food because I too im a binge eater.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I just recently came to the revelation, oh hey, maybe everyone isn't making this whole "eat a bunch of protein" thing up. I have my macros set at 40/30/30 and it's been awesome. I used to have problems with binge eating and I don't anymore because I always feel full.

My question is... Is there a difference between getting your protein from food and getting it from protein bars, shakes, etc.? I probably get about half of my 135 grams of protein from shakes and bars. That seems high to me. I'm sure it would matter if you're hardcore about not eating anything processed, but I'm not really a stickler for that.

Thoughts?

Not really, the only reason you may want to opt for whole foods would be satiety reasons, generally people find whole foods more filling than shakes/bars
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to get in all my protein completely from food (ditto on the previous chicken comment!). I *do* love my nightly protein shake made with almond milk, and keep a supply of protein shots in the 'fridge for a quick post-workout boost in case I won't be able to eat for a while. I have to make sure it's whey protein isolate so it doesn't bother my stomach, but I'm sure plenty of people will chime in with what does or doesn't work for them.
  • JonathansMom0910
    Options
    My trainer eats bars and shakes and she isn't trying to bulk up-just stay in shape. I eat a bar in the am B4 my hard core days and if I am hungry in the afternoon between lunch and dinner, I will eat a shake. I only get about 100 protein a day though, so I may not be that helpful...the bar and shake are about 1/2 my daily intake as well
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get 30% protein too, and the only way I'm able to do it is with 1-2 shakes on lifting days and a protein bar for a snack 3-4x/week.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Great question
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    no, there is no difference
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I try to eat real food whenever possible, but I do have add a bar sometime. For some reason, drinking a shake just doesn't stick to my ribs like actually chewing something up and eating it does.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I try to eat real food whenever possible, but I do have add a bar sometime. For some reason, drinking a shake just doesn't stick to my ribs like actually chewing something up and eating it does.

Agreed. But if I am needing a snack on the run, I'm apt to choosing a protein bar.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont think there's a difference besides a psychological one. i personally prefer having to chew the majority of meals and for most of them to be hot. so i'll do at most 1 smoothie or bar a day, but i'd much rather prefer to eat extra eggs, an extra chicken thigh or more yogurt and avocadoes
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I find it relatively easy to meet my protein "goal" with normal foods. I do have bars just in case my workout or daily activity is a bit more strenuous.
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i dont think there's a difference besides a psychological one. i personally prefer having to chew the majority of meals and for most of them to be hot. so i'll do at most 1 smoothie or bar a day, but i'd much rather prefer to eat extra eggs, an extra chicken thigh or more yogurt and avocadoes
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting in the right amount of protein it doesn't matter at all. If bars and shakes are easier, use bars and shakes. If you like eating meat/eggs etc, eat lots of meat and eggs :)

I personally reach 200-250g protein every day simply from my normal food intake and don't really like forking out the large amounts of money for the bars/shakes
  • Misbehavin_Red
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I tend to rely on soy products and protein bars to get my protein (since I can eat so many nuts!). That being said, many protein bars are filled with sugar, so you want to be mindful and pick one that's lower in sugar.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I eat up to about 20-50% of my protein in supplement form (powder or bar), but I try to get as much as possible from whole foods.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    theres no difference. food is food. But just keep track of how much sugar & stuff is in the shakes/bars/etc...