Backpacking Macro Nutrients?

Options
Thaea
Thaea Posts: 31 Member
Hey guys, I'm going on my first 3 day backpacking trip this weekend, so of course, I'm obsessing over food. For normal days, I eat fewer than 60 grams fat per day, 100+ grams protein and fill in the rest with carbs, depending on the amount of activity for that day. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. (that's a 2,000+ calorie a day diet)

For backpacking, I'm not planning on bringing anything to cook, and I obviously can't have as many fruits and vegetables as I normally do (though I am bringing some that are dried). I've been on here trying to calculate what to eat each day of the trip and I'm finding my fat is higher than usual (looks like 70-80 grams) and protein is lower (60-70 grams). Is that ok for backpacking? Are there any hikers on here who can recommend macro breakdowns for the three day trip? I just want to make sure I'm eating enough of certain things so I don't get too tired. I remember reading that for backpacking trips it's usually better to have higher fat and lower protein than normal.

Thank you!

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You'll want a mix of all three, but maybe a little heavier on carbs. Don't overthink it too much, though. Food = energy and that is all that really matters when it comes down to it. Just have enough of it.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jay, I hunt quite a bit (my husband and I bowhunt elk) and we backpack a lot where we live in the Bighorns of Wyoming. I probably eat 5000 calories a day compared to my usual 1800 and I have never gained a pound. You will starve if you are hiking everyday and trying to work it out to "in town" numbers. Bring oatmeal, protein bars, jerkey, dried fruit, canned fruits are yumm-o too. Packaged salmon and tuna is pretty good. I stay away from trail mix or I will gain weight. All those yummy m&ms and peanuts!
  • Thaea
    Thaea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!
  • amazondakini
    amazondakini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey there Moxette, I just got back from 3 days, 35 miles, of backpacking the Appalachian Trail in the Blue Ridge mountains. I packed in about 2000 calories a day - and I got home yesterday, and weighed in, and I know I am retaining water today, swelling up from the lack of constant movement... and I somehow gained weight?? I drank a ton of water because it was swampy hot (90's adn humid) and we did some decent altitude changes. But how can I have gained weight?? 6 pounds! Any tips for what I should do now? I have been on MFP, lost 20 pounds, now gained these 6, goal weight is still about 25 pounds away. I'd love any tips on what to do now that I am home and am heavier than when I left.... bummed about the weight, but happy with a fantastic backpacking trip!
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sorry, just saw this post. Did you lose it after a few days? I think it is the altitude that does it.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think rolled oats and peanut butter are a great travel combination. You don't even have to cook the rolled oats, just soak them in water for a bit.

https://www.icallthisliving.com