Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

People on maintenance

1a1a
1a1a Posts: 761 Member
Do you find yourself hungry at the end of the day? How do you deal with it?

Do you have many spike days? Do you worry about them or do you find they don't matter too much?

I may (or may not) be maintaining on 1770, eating intuitively I tend to find myself over by 100-200 most days, occasionally I go over by a bit more (maybe 600-700 cals), some days I might be under by 100-200 cal. I still do a fair bit of HIIT/cardio and occasional strength training...

Just wondering, if I'm hungry at the end of the day, should I eat?

Ah, I'll add, living as described, I've been sitting around 61kg since January

Replies

• 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Anyone?
  • NonDebutante3dot0
    NonDebutante3dot0 Posts: 50 Member
    I think if you are eating intuitively and maintaining weight, that trumps anything estimated, written or suggested because it is reality. :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    I try to do good all day but do tend to want a snack by the end of the night. I like fat free microwave popcorn, it fills me up with not to many calories. I also eat pickles. If you look at my diary the last few days its not good because we had my daughters b-day party this weekend. To maintain MFP has my calories at 1690 but I usually bump that up with exercise.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    If you are hungry, eat! that sounds like a pretty low maintenance number anyway. I personally try to have something on hand that is lower calorie but large quantity that I can eat at the end of the day so i don't go too far over. Things like baby carrots, cherry tomatoes or popcorn that you can eat a fair amount of :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    I am often my hungriest at the end of the day, and more prone to eat after 8pm, so most of my calories, well at least half, are eaten between 8pm and 3am. I am maintaining on around 2000-2500 calories, bearing in mind I tend to exercise at least an hour everyday except one, sometimes an hour of cycling, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes, like yesterday, 2 hours cycling and 2 hours of walking. Without exercise, my maintenance is about 1800. I am maintaining, sometimes losing a bit but remaining around 123-126Ibs. I sometimes go over by a few thousand, sometimes under by 400-500, but I just take it as par the course, it seems to balance out in the end, so yes, I do sometimes have a spike day, so to speak.

I just deal with my tendency to get hungrier in the evening/night, by basically not eating much between going to bed and dinnertime at 8pm. It seems to work well enough for me, and I found that if I ate before my exercise, I found it a lot harder and seemed to become more sluggish. If I am hungry at the end of the day, I eat pears, apples, a hard boiled egg, apple rice cakes, diet hot chocolate and my greek yoghurt with pb2, seeds and a little jam mixed in. The latter is pretty filling.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    I do get hungry at the end of the day sometimes. I try to space my meals and snacks out so I'm eating every 3 hours or so. Forget that nonsense about not eating after 7:30 pm. As long as you're staying close to your calorie goal, there's nothing wrong with having a snack at night. I just had a post-weight lifting protein drink and it's 11:00 at night. I have one spike day per week where I go 400-700 calories over my goal and this seems to work for me. I've been maintaining for 6 months.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    I've grown pretty used to my 1630 net maintenance calories. I've been maintaining since January. Some days I'm not as hungry, others I'm ravenous, but I just go with what my body is telling me. 90% of the time, my maintenance is perfect. I was at 125 (my original goal) until a couple months ago when I started strength training more often. Now I hover around 130 (5'5", slender frame). HTH!