College exams AND weight-loss

Options
STRESS!

Everything about exams are stressful, the revising, the sitting the exam, afterwards when you compare answers with other people just generally sh*tting yourself because you know if you fail these exams you won't get into uni. Soo.. How on earth do people do it? I started 30DS and bodyrock.tv's 30 day challenge but now I have 6 life-changing (srsly) exams coming up in the next month.

How can I stop myself gaining weight over exam period? Is it possible to lose weight without doing hardcore exercise? What changes can I make to reduce my calorie intake without depriving my brain of nutrients? Are there any foods that actually help with stress eg. something like tea or whatever?

Any suggestions are thoroughly welcomed! Now I'm off to go revise for my Chemistry exam (which is tomorrow :cry: )

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    STRESS!

Everything about exams are stressful, the revising, the sitting the exam, afterwards when you compare answers with other people just generally sh*tting yourself because you know if you fail these exams you won't get into uni. Soo.. How on earth do people do it? I started 30DS and bodyrock.tv's 30 day challenge but now I have 6 life-changing (srsly) exams coming up in the next month.

How can I stop myself gaining weight over exam period? Is it possible to lose weight without doing hardcore exercise? What changes can I make to reduce my calorie intake without depriving my brain of nutrients? Are there any foods that actually help with stress eg. something like tea or whatever?

Any suggestions are thoroughly welcomed! Now I'm off to go revise for my Chemistry exam (which is tomorrow :cry: )

Most of weight loss is calorie reduction, not exercise, so yes, it's all right to skip hardcore exercise, or even all exercise. if this were a two-week exam period, I'd say not to worry about dieting for the duration, but your exams seem to be spread out for a longer period than that to which I'm accustomed. I would try to buy healthy treats, track your calories, but realize you're going to go over some days. Something has to give. Your university admission exams are more important.

For stress, you could try mindfulness or insight meditation. There are sites with free instruction. www.audiodharma.org is one.

Good luck!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I ran a lot. But then, I used to tend to use that as a cure all.

Alternately, yoga works pretty well for me now as well as really, really kick *kitten* loud music and doing anything at all, even walking or driving on the beach.
  • abeautifulmess
    abeautifulmess Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just finished with my set of exams, so I totally know where you're at. For me, grades are pretty much of utmost importance, so exercise kind of wasn't my priority what so ever. I think as long as you maintain a healthy diet during this time period, you should be fine! Yeah maybe you won't be losing much (or any) weight, but you should be able to keep from gaining. I know for me when I'm having a marathon session in the library it's helpful to bring some sort of snack so I'm not tempted to buy any kind of muffin/pastry. Along with that, remember that so many coffee drinks are loaded with calories/sugar! So I stay away from those too. Some things I like to bring: carrots, pretzels, yogurt.

Best of luck on your exams!
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am currently revising for my exams and the stress got to me so much that I ate ALL the time! When I study my brain is working overtime so I NEED food to keep me going!

but I tried to eat healthy stuff, like dried apricots, nuts, drank plenty of water so I did not feel so guilty!