So tired of my body :( need help!

Options
I was doing so good a couple of weeks ago, doing workouts everyday and eating healthy. But then my hubby got sick and once he got better we have been so busy I don't even feel like we have been home at all! this weekend is going to be super busy along with the next. I know that I have to fit it in but with everything else going on and working everyday how do I do it? I work 10 hour days starting at 6am so, at 4pm I come home make dinner eat clean up then do all the other crap we had to do and then go to bed. I have to be in bed by 8pm to get like 7 and 1/2 hours of sleep so I dont get tired and worn down. So how do you it all in? I am feeling frustrated and so so disappointed in myself for not doing it this past little bit. I was so excited when I was continuing on and really believed I could wear a bikini this summer...

I do need some advice. I am pretty weak I have hardly any muscle can do maybe 2 pushups... but I would like to start lifting. I have never had a ton of muscle (except in my legs, I used to run track and dance) but I dont know if I need to do cardio and lose some flab and then lift or just start with the strength trainging... wont I be skinny-fat if I just lose the flab? I am 5'2" weigh 140 and and 23 years old

Thank you to everyone for your input I can do it this time... Everyone one MFP is awesome!

Replies

• annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    Something I heard a few days ago.... "You don't find time for exercise, you MAKE time".

I choose to exercise as soon as I get off work. Nothing else comes first--not chores, not TV, not eating dinner, nothing. You really have to give it first priority.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    First, honey, slow down and breathe. Life is full and hectic and almost always will be. It's okay...you can work around it.

Congrats on losing 5 pounds. You're on your way. 80% of weight loss happens in the kitchen, so if you have your nutrition nailed down, you're already ahead of the game.

Then, lets look at your day. Agreed, 10hr days don't leave much room for exercise (I work 12's, myself), but there is some time if you borrow it from somewhere else. Plan and prep meals on your days off, so that your time in the kitchen is minimal. Use paper plates and such when you can to cut down on clean-up.

The more organized you can be, the more time you can carve out for yourself. You said something about "all the other crap we have to do"...look at it critically, and see if it's really necessary or stuff can do when you have more leisure time. You'd be surprised how much time you waste, when you really look at it.

What type of workouts do you do? Can you break them up into smaller segments? A brisk, 15 minute walk between dinner and dishes, perhaps? Get up 15 minutes earlier and do some push-ups, jumping jacks, etc?

Then, there's the sneaky workouts, like walking partway to work, taking the stairs, walking during your lunch and breaks, etc. Use your imagination, and there are ton of things you could do, maybe even while you are working!

Good luck, and don't lose heart. Read some of the exceptional stories on here by people who overcome major obstacles to get fit and healthy...they can be quite inspirational.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    My husband works 10 hour days 4 days a week. He has 3 day weekends. He gets up an hour before work to get in cardio even though he's really tired during the week. Hits the gym afterwards. If he's to tired for the gym we have weights here at the house. Not the same as a gym workout, but it's better than nothing. I agree gotta find the time. Now me.. I go to bed way later than he does and get up an hour after he leaves for work. I have to work out by 11 a.m. or I won't do it. Has to be before the shower and change of clothes.
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice... I was doing so good then things just got so busy and I think I am just overwhelmed that I had just started getting in a set daily routine then it went crazy... But I am ready to do anything I can do for me to lose weight and tone up. Starting tomorrow treadmill right when I get home from work... no exceptions
  • bjpfight
    bjpfight Posts: 4
    Options
    I understand 100%,. I have been in your shoes for the last year and feel just like you, but I think it just takes us making ourselves a priority and deciding to put ourselves first for one.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I just joined a gym and am doing group classes to put peer pressure on myself.
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What worked for me in the beginning were Jillian Michael's 20 minute workouts (30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30). They're painful, but incredibly efficient. And, as I said, 20 minutes long, so no excuses! Good luck, and don't be too heard on yourself...
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Good topic with lots of good advice here. I have been going through the same thing. I workout all weekend and lose weight and feel great, then my company makes me work a 14 hour day, then a 12 hour day, then a 11.5 hour day and the dishes start piling up and the cupboard runs empty and my car is on empty and I feel exhausted half the time with no clean clothes. I totally understand what you are going through. One thing that is important is getting support from your spouse. It is critical that he helps and tries to be a cheerleader for you. Putting the excercise as top priority is also important. The home is a mess, but at least you are getting in your workout. It is tough, but you can do it.
  • MinervaTK
    MinervaTK Posts: 20
    Options
    Do you ever have 5 or 10 minutes of free time at work? Pick something heavy up at work and use it as a weight for a few minutes! Or split it up into more doable chunks... get up 15 min earlier and use that time to work out, do 15 min at lunch, 15 min when you get off work, or whatever. I know how hard it can be to find the time to work out and it seems like breaking it into smaller chunks makes it easier mentally to make it happen.
  • lizzie82088
    lizzie82088 Posts: 12
    Options
    Don't give up!! I'm in the same boat you are in. Its hard sometimes after a long day, errands, and chores to even have the WILLPOWER to get to the gym. But even just a little bit (brisk walking for 20-30 minutes, stationary bike, even a walk outside) is better than nothing and will keep the routine! Remember, cardio is more important than weight training to basic fat loss. It will help burn off the fat to later make way for those visible muscles. Make sure you eat less on days you don't exercise and you WON'T gain weight. At the worst, you'll just stall at your current weight. I gained 10 pounds over the last month or so after doing so well and now am trying to get back on track.

Again, don't give up!!! You're doing great!
  • shimewazaMan
    shimewazaMan Posts: 413
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having a rough time hun! Here are a few suggestions to fit in GOOD exercise in a very short amount of time.

Option1: Tabata Training. One round takes 4 minutes. Pick some exercise that is fairly aerobic for you. Burpees and squat kicks are excellent options. Set a timer for 30 second intervals. Rest 10 seconds and go 20 seconds all out as hard as you can go. When the timer beeps, rest first 10 seconds and then go as hard as you can for the next 20. Do a total of 8 - 30 second rounds. If you are up for it, when you finish one round pick another exercise and do another.

Option 2: HIIT rounds. One round takes 10 minutes. Pick 4 exercises. (Push-ups, sit-ups, jumping-jack-squats, burpees is an awesome combo). Do exercise 1 all out for 1 minute getting as many reps as you can. Do the same with exercise 2, 3, and 4 with NO REST in between exercises. Do the same for each exercise again for 45 seconds. Do the same for each exercise for 30 seconds. Do the same for 15 seconds. NO REST BETWEEN EXERCISES OR INTERVALS. If you finish one 10 min round and are up for it, try another with 4 different exercises.

I hope this helps! Best of luck to you!
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I am feeling better today knowing I am not alone! I am going to go home and get on that darned treadmill! I eat pretty good already but I need to step it up a bit! Starting over! day #1 :) I am going to try those exercises also they look like something I would enjoy doing and on my really busy days I can fit them in! :)