Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ltalley1958
    Options
    :flowerforyou: found it!!!
    So I can't take credit for this recipe - I found it online! But I was off work today and did A LOT of cleaning so I wanted a no-fuss dinner. What's better than a crockpot meal, right? :) In mine, I did exactly as shown below, including washing the beans so there was less sodium. I even bought no salt diced tomatoes!! (based on that, I'm sure my version has less sodium than what's listed below)

:flowerforyou:

4 cans (15 oz.) S&W White Beans (I used white Great Northern beans)
    1 can (15 oz.) Del Monte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes
    1 can (4 oz.) Ortega Fire Roasted Green Chiles, Diced
    2 pkgs. McCormick White Chicken Chili Seasoning
    3 cups Water
    2 Large Chicken Breasts, Boneless/Skinless (8 oz. ea.)

Directions
    Drain and rinse beans. Add beans, tomatoes, chiles, both packages of seasoning mix and 3 cups water to crock pot. Stir ingredients to mix well.

Lay both chicken breasts on top of bean and seasoning mixture. Put lid on crock pot.

Turn on to high setting. Cook 3-4 hours, or 6-8 hours on low setting.

Before serving, remove chicken breasts from crock pot, and shred the meat. Add the chicken back in the crock pot, stir and serve.

Makes approximately 12 1-cup servings.

Number of Servings: 12

Nutrition (listed next to the recipe):
    * Calories: 167.2

* Total Fat: 1.1 g
    * Cholesterol: 21.9 mg
    * Sodium: 862.0 mg
    * Total Carbs: 29.9 g
    * Dietary Fiber: 9.6 g
    * Protein: 18.2 g
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    Options
    This sounds really good, I'll have to make a point to pick up the beans, chiles, and seasoning the next chance I get! Thanks for sharing!

jo
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NathanJ79
    NathanJ79 Posts: 36
    Options
    Bump again. My wife (SilentJo, near the end of page 1) and I made this once before, and it was great! I forgot to download the recipe, though, so I had to come back to this topic.

We got a little bit more calories -- I think she said around 190? And we take two "servings", but that's still less than 400 for a big bowl of chili. But whenever we do something big like this, we enter it as a recipe on MFP, and calculate how many servings it was. Last time, it made 10 cups. So we call it 10 servings, and take 2 at a time. Four two-and-a-half cup servings might be more ideal, but our bowls are not quite that big.

For what it's worth, my wife doesn't like beans, so we only used 2 cans of beans. In their place, we used a can of mixed vegetables (carrots, green beans, lima beans, and corn) and a can of corn, so it comes out more like a stew/soup, I think. I'm actually fine with it that way.

The thing about beans, for those of you worried about the sodium, is they carry a lot of potassium. This is good for your muscles, and I think most people don't get enough of it. Bananas and yogurt also carry potassium, if you want more in your diet.

And definitely rinse those beans. They're in some nasty heavy syrup. I can't go for that. Put 'em in a strainer/colander, and rinse them real good. Shake 'em good, get all that crap off of 'em.
  • fergie137
    fergie137 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • Ambiance247
    Ambiance247 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • channel11
    channel11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump, sounds yummy!