heartbeat in my tummy

Options
I can feel a pulse in my stomach whenever I'm laying down. It kind of freaks me out! Anyone know what causes this? I've noticed it since I've lost weight (about 40 lbs).

Replies

• sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i think I was told once that what you are feeling has something to do with your intestines
  • danielle63026
    Options
    Eww! It's really annoying me...
  • maggiemay365
    maggiemay365 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I get that from time to time..I have no idea what causes it..but I'm in the same boat as you :)
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    This could be very serious and you need to make an appt to see your doctor. Symptom sounds like an aortic aneurysm.

http://www.sirweb.org/patients/abdominal-aortic-aneurysms/
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It could be, but it's probably not. I can feel mine a lot.
  • emmaline8
    emmaline8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's just your aorta in your abdomen. Nothing to be concerned about! :)
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    preggo eggo??
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    Please get checked for an aortic aneurysm. My husband had those symptoms and that was the problem. It might not be that, but it can't hurt to get it checked out.
  • ChiJD
    ChiJD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    More blood goes to your intestinal tract while digesting. You may be feeling that when you lay down. I'd still get it looked at by an MD though.
  • watchtheworld
    Options
    Abdominal aorta? It runs down your stomach more or less just left of the belly-button. Lie down and put your right hand palm down on your stomach, lining up your little finger tip with the "start" of your belly-button. Forget about your thumb for now, but if your hand is the right way it should be pointing vaguely up to your shoulder/head. Using your three fingers, push down with the pads of your fingers until you feel an impulse, and then once you've found it use your finger tips to feel it out properly.

It's more or less easily felt in people depending on genetics and weight. I've always been able to feel mine, as have plenty of people I know.

If it feels particularly "wide" this can be linked to aneurysm (bad) but it's unlikely that a layperson could pick this up, and if you're worried ask a doctor.
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    abdominal aorta is the primary artery that carries blood from your heart to your head and extremities. The "heartbeat" you can feel is your aorta pulsating. Thinner people can feel this more due to less fat around there abdomen. It's normal. By the way, your title totally made me think this was a pregnancy announcement :smile:
  • danielle63026
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'm not preggers, haha...I guess my title was sort of misleading.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    An aneurysm can have absolutely no symptoms. My husband's was 7 centimeters when they found his. They like to operate at 5 centimeters.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The reason you can feel it is because you have lost weight! Great job : )
  • melissa_leah
    melissa_leah Posts: 107
    Options
    that happens to me when i lay down, i can see it.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Its normal, just one of the places you can feel your pulse, I can see mine :) so don't freak out if that happens!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    that happens to me when i lay down, i can see it.

Me too, I've always been like this
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    You have a big artery that runs down there. It's one of the biggest, in fact. Nothing wrong with being able to feel your beat.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Ever see Alien?:laugh: