That's why old school opera singers were so heavy!

Options
Over my entire life I've been involved in singing organizations in whatever area I live in. I realized that a couple of years ago that I was just plain starving after rehearsal and REALLY hungry after big concerts. So with my bad eating habits of ole I had been stuffing whatever was available (no matter the calories) after these singing times and here I've gone to my current ballooned state (well as of a few months ago ballooned state).

So a few weeks ago I started back singing (new season) and realized that once again I am starving after rehearsal. I eat dinner before going but man once I get home I am about ready to eat a big juicy cheeseburger! I realized that singing for 2-3 hours burns over 500 calories!

So my question is: What do I do? Besides just going to bed hungry (which I've been doing and it sucks!)... It's already near 10pm by the time I get home. Is there anything I can eat that is inexpensive and easy to make that will hold me over during and after rehearsal?

Replies

• JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love a glass of skim milk after my work outs. It's not many calories and it has protein to help build muscles. I have heard not to eat anything after a certain time of night, but I don't know if I believe that works. HTH :flowerforyou:
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    When I need "stick to my ribs" food I always go for oatmeal. The whole grains are good for you and the calorie count stays low if use a non calorie sweetener or sugar free preserves to sweeten instead of sugar.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Protein bar. Tastes sweet, has a healthy balance of carbs, fats, and proteins, and keeps your tummy happy for a couple of hours. I like EAS Carb Advantage Cookies and Cream.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love whole grain bread and some cashew or peanut butter.
  • brwnsgr
    brwnsgr Posts: 78
    Options
    When I get like that, I usually eat a chewy bar, it's high in fiber and a good source of calcium; Walmart has a Oats and peanut butter (Great Value- generic for Quaker brand) I really like them; Fiber One has one also that is really good. Hope this helps.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Have you considered going a little lighter at dinner and saving some calories for a bit more of a bedtime snack?

Tell me this Linne - are you familiar with this?

I occasionally get together with some pals and we get out the guitars and and play/sing old rock covers, some country stuff. Strictly amateur, lightweight and fun - about 1/2 a step above karaoke. I play decently, but in the past I've sang pretty well. I have a rich baritone, pretty good range, and I used to have excellent control.

Well, as my ticker sez - I've lost a little weight. I've also built some muscle, and I'm much leaner than I was. When I was singing with the gang I was pretty good, and I was about 35% bodyfat. Now I'm closer to 14% bodyfat, and I sing like an alleycat. No control, less range - I've even squeaked a couple times! It seems to be getting better with practice, but I pretty much have to learn to sing all over again. Maybe there was a reason Pavarotti stayed so heavy (besides the love of pasta, of course :bigsmile: ).

Ever heard of this before? Are you experiencing any difficulties?
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    My favorite are....
    cottage cheese which is light and I can eat late at night. Skim Milk, string cheese or a slice of bread with peanut butter and reduced sugar jelly. hey its worked for me...I've lost quite a bit and I do eat at 8pm on certain days
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Almonds, pecans or walnuts followed by lots of water have gotten me through many a rehearsal. They're teeny, calorie dense and non-dairy so you can eat about 200 calories easily in 5 minutes.

I've noticed a difference in how my voice feels since I lost the weight. (fellow classical diva here) I think it's the fact that I have less weight to throw under my support mechanism. I hear plenty of teeny singers with great big voices, I still get pretty much the same sound, but it does feel like more work now that I'm not as heavy.

:flowerforyou:
  • Solandra
    Options
    CasperO, is some of the muscle you've built in your torso (abs, back, etc) and neck? And have you changed the way you breathe when you sing, as a result of breathing more efficiently because of the exercise? The loss of control and range makes sense to me if you've changed the equipment, so to speak, that's pushing the air past your vocal folds. What feels like the same effort is pushing more air, which can cause a voice to squeak just like it can cause a clarinet reed to squeak if the player blows too hard.

As a result of similar changes I'm relearning, in a way, how to manage my voice. If my abdomen or back is tired, my range is limited, as well as volume.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I know a little something about singing, since I am a classically trained professional singer with a master's degree in voice. Contrary to popular opinion, being heavy does not make one a better singer. It does nothing for resonance or anything else to enhance the voice. Actually, being heavy (obese) hinders the whole process of singing. As a teacher of singing, I can tell you from experience that employing proper technique and taking care of one's body is the only way to be a successful singer. Pavarotti was a great singer because of his superior technique, not his superior girth.

As far a being hungry, take a little snack for the break during your rehearsal and drink plenty of water also. This will help your hunger and give you an energy boost to carry you through the rest of the rehearsal.

Have fun!
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Have you considered going a little lighter at dinner and saving some calories for a bit more of a bedtime snack?

Tell me this Linne - are you familiar with this?

I occasionally get together with some pals and we get out the guitars and and play/sing old rock covers, some country stuff. Strictly amateur, lightweight and fun - about 1/2 a step above karaoke. I play decently, but in the past I've sang pretty well. I have a rich baritone, pretty good range, and I used to have excellent control.

Well, as my ticker sez - I've lost a little weight. I've also built some muscle, and I'm much leaner than I was. When I was singing with the gang I was pretty good, and I was about 35% bodyfat. Now I'm closer to 14% bodyfat, and I sing like an alleycat. No control, less range - I've even squeaked a couple times! It seems to be getting better with practice, but I pretty much have to learn to sing all over again. Maybe there was a reason Pavarotti stayed so heavy (besides the love of pasta, of course :bigsmile: ).

Ever heard of this before? Are you experiencing any difficulties?

i have noticed a change actually but for the better. I always had a fairly large range (1st soprano to 1st tenor) but I had noticed over the last couple of years I was having a hard time reaching those 1st soprano notes. I was getting really frustrated and then just was like "whatever" - i guess it's true that age makes the voice get deeper. BUT now I'm hitting the 1st soprano notes quite easily again and my voice control has stabalized.

It might be because i was classically trained though. We go through some major exercises and the decreased weight around the mid section helps maintain airflow.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm an amateur singer (choirs mostly) and have found that as I drop the weight, and build muscle, I'm singing with much better breath control. It's amazing!

I second the idea of nuts and water...protein and fat to keep you satiated.

I have the same problem with my choir practice as there is no time to go home after work before rehearsal and I don't get home til 9 which I find is really too late to eat.
  • singfree
    Options
    Cardi, I normally have a whey protein shake before choir and have no problem with hunger until I get home at 10:30 pm. (That's when i get the urge for a glass of wine).
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    LOL about the wine, Sing...I'm pretty hungry too, when I get home. Singing exhilirates me, and usually that lifts the appetite!

I'll look into the protein shakes. I think what I need to do is be more organized and take something with me to work to eat at around 5. That way I won't be as likely to eat something late. I hope.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good idea, Cardi. If for nothing else, you will have another shot of energy to get you through the evening. With wine comes thoughts of sourdough pretzel nuggets, yum! :drinker: