I can't stop overeating...

Options
Hello, all. My name is Monique and I am a college student. I have been on a track to weight loss since summer of 2011 in order to better my health, as well as to feel more confident about my body. I managed to lose 40 pounds of my goal of 50 pounds and was able to maintain it... until there was about a month left of the school semester. Due to stress both at home and from school, I took to stress eating, which threw off my diet and lead me to overeat just about everyday during that last month of school. I particularly indulged in sweets, such as ice cream, muffins and cookies. Consequently, this unhealthy eating habit lead me to regain about 13 pounds. Since school ended, I returned to exercising daily and to getting a full night's sleep every night (I slept an average of 5-6 hours during the school year). Because I began exercising again, I managed to lose some of the regained weight, but I have not yet been successful in stopping the habit of overeating, which impedes my progress to finally reaching my goal weight. I exercise daily, but then I overeat, thus making my daily workouts ineffective in helping me lose weight, so my weight stays about the same or I gain a little poundage. In other words, because of my habit of overeating, I'm going no where in terms of weight loss. I could really use any tips/advice/words of encouragement or help from any one who is experiencing or has experienced this and has succeeded in overcoming it... I feel like I'm all alone in this because I have spoken to my parents about it, but they just give me the response "You need to control your eating." which doesn't help me at all. What's worse is that they continue to purchase the same foods that I overindulge in, despite me begging them to stop purchasing them at least until I can regain control of my eating habits and put myself back on track... I feel like they don't understand or sympathize with what I am going through whatsoever... Thank you in advance to those who respond and please know that I applaud each and every one of you for all of the progress you've made so far. I wish you all the best in your journey to improve your health.

Replies

• katykosto
    katykosto Posts: 80
    Options
    Biggest tip I can say is before you eat drink a FULL glass of water even if your not thirsty, and drink while eating as well this will limit the space the cravings have to fit in your stomach. Also I am a HUGE chocolate lover and when i fell off the wagon I was buying oreos and baking brownies etc. but Ive slowly cut it out of my diet and when I get a chocolate urge I eat snack pac pudding or something TINY and I make sure to burn extra calories specifically to make up for that treat. Also found that smoothies are a very sweet and healthy alternative to bad sugary treats =] hope this helps you...
  • brittanya92
    Options
    Eat desert daily. Keep busy whenever you can but have in the back of your mind I will have desert tonight. Then sit down, make yourself a 200-300 calorie desert or whatever fits your daily range. For me its a jarrah hot chocolate and maybe a small cookie or a cup of tea and a few pieces of chocolate. Remind yourself I am an adult in control of my body and i repsect it enough to sit down with this hot chocolate, enjoy it, not feel gulity about it and know that i worked out today and I deserve it. I have found by giving myself a treat daily, I am less likley to binge all at once. Goodluck and respect yourself.
  • katykosto
    Options
    In respect to what Brittany said just make sure you dont eat your treat 3 hours before you go to sleep, you need to give your body time to process it before it goes into slow motion for the night... =] and have a glass of water before bed =]
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same problems in my life, and finally realized that I have a sugar sensitivity, which leads to sugar addiction. Maybe you do too?

I've cut out all added sugar from my diet, and I feel so much more in control of my eating. Yes, I still want that brownie, but now the brownie doesn't talk to me non-stop and make me feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown if I dont eat it!

When I'm eating sugar, all I want is more, even when I'm not hungry. Then I feel guilty and beat myself up for being childish, gutless, weak and stupid.

Truth is, when you're a sugar addict, you don't have a moral problem, you have a brain chemistry problem. You can balance your brain by eliminating sugar, getting exercise in the sunshine, spending time with people you love, and practicing gratitude.

For a true sugar addict, going cold turkey is the only way. It's brutally hard for a few days, and then you feel like a new, strong person. During sugar detox, go ahead and eat your fill of other things and drink lots of water. Hot herbal tea helps me through because it's soothing and takes a while to drink.

I don't know if that was helpful or off base. Just thought I'd share just in case.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe your habits are the problem - I read a great book that explains why habits control us and how to change them. It's called "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. I got it at my local library. You might want to read it. Best of luck to you in your struggles!
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd be more firm with your parents about it, maybe try and go to the supermarket with your mum and stop her from buying those foods that you over indulge in, or help her find alternatives, e.g. low fat ice cream instead of regular, or frozen yogurt. Buying mini muffins instead, or cookie packs that are individually wrapped. It's hard if they don't help you, because then those same foods are there, tempting you. Instead of exercising some kind of superhuman self-control, I'd just try and focus on keeping those foods out of the house full stop.

If you can't keep them out, then I'd suggest finding ways to keep yourself out of the house, or keeping yourself really busy to keep away from those foods. Whenever I feel myself wanting to binge or overindulge, I knit (: Sleeping's great too, so's watching movies, reading, cleaning - anything to stay out of the kitchen (:

Good luck! It's going to be fine and get better, and congrats on losing those 40lbs, that's no easy achievement!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Monique. You can do this. There are a couple of things that come to mind here.

1. From your profile pic, you do not look like you have a lot to lose. Make sure your "overeating" is not "healthy eating" that your body actually needs. Often young girls, such as yourself, try to maintain a too calorie restricted diet to achieve some idea of what you are "supposed" to look like. Don't believe Hollywood's lies.

2. If #1 is not you then, make sure you eat adequate amounts of nutritious foods that include sufficient protein sources. This can help eliminate some of your appetite. Eating a well balanced diet will probably curb your appetite more than anything else.

3. Increase your activity level. ( I realize that you already work out but by increasing the workout and then eating a healthy snack afterward to stabilize your energy levels may help you as well).

I wish you the best.
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    Does anyone buy the part about NOT drinking liquids while eating as that fouls up the digestive process?
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Oh - I forgot the parental non-compliance thing. Can you stay with a friend for a few days? How about asking your mom to hide treats she brings into the house for just a week until you get on track? When the dessert comes out after dinner, can you go take a walk, or wash the dishes, or go sing in the shower? Plan ahead what you can do to physically get away from temptation. Good luck!
  • katykosto
    Options
    I might be the only one but im confused by what you said?
    Does anyone buy the part about NOT drinking liquids while eating as that fouls up the digestive process?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Anecdotally that's true for me. I can't stand to drink while I eat or after I eat because I just feel bloated. But if I drink a bunch of water 15 minutes before a meal it's long gone and I can eat without the bloat.
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    Drumstickz,

First, you CAN do it. You have done it before, and you can do it again. But I think you need to do a little soul-searching before you can conquer this issue. It is important to figure out what food represents for you. You mentioned that you stress eat (so do I!!), so at least in part, you use food to either distract yourself from the emotional upset, or you use it to fill up some part of you that feel empty or uncontrolled. Come up with a list of alternative ways to distract yourself or fill yourself up instead, and next time you have the urge to grab a cookie, try to substitute one of your other alternatives instead. Remember, too, that habits never change all at once. So, if your baseline is that 5 times a day you are grabbing unhealthy, high-calorie foods (for whatever reason), then tomorrow, your goal is to only do that 4 times, and substitute one time with a different choice. In a few days, when 4 is the baseline, then push yourself to 3. And then 2, and then 1, until you have mastered the art of making different choices. And, be OK with that; in fact, feel great about yourself every single time you lower your baseline a step more, because it's positive progress!

You also mentioned that you tried to talk to your parents about your struggles and you didn't get very helpful feedback from them. It makes me wonder if you are on this weight loss journey for them (to impress them, make them proud of you, etc.) or if it really is for you. It's important to know what is underlying the overeating because then you can face it head-on and change some patterns that aren't serving you well.

When you get to the point where you are truly doing this just for you, because you love yourself and care about yourself, then it's easier to turn away the foods that don't help you reach your goals. I won't say it's always easy, because we all have cravings and hunger from time to time, and we all eat things sometimes that aren't great for us. But when you face your food choices with the thought, "I want to eat the thing that helps me feel the very best I can about me," it makes a big difference.

So, that's my advice. Spend some time with yourself, really evaluating what a weight loss journey means for you. Write down the reasons that you want to do this. Post them on your bathroom mirror, and read them to yourself every single morning--look straight into your own eyes (in the mirror) and tell yourself what you really want and need. It's just simple self-affirmation, but it can be really effective.

And finally, get support from people who understand. It seems like this is a significant struggle for you, so you might consider looking up where your local OA (Over-eaters anonymous) group meets, and join them. Talking about it and learning how others overcome it can also be a great help.

You can do it!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    In respect to what Brittany said just make sure you dont eat your treat 3 hours before you go to sleep, you need to give your body time to process it before it goes into slow motion for the night... =] and have a glass of water before bed =]

You don't need to stop eating 3 hours before you go to sleep. There is no need.
  • katykosto
    Options
    Ive noticed a difference in how I feel when I wake up by not eating before bed and Id rather wake up feeling great about myself than guilty or blah, its a personal opinion

You don't need to stop eating 3 hours before you go to sleep. There is no need.
  • DRUMSTiCKSZ
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses. Really, I appreciate all of them. I read each and every one and will consider taking your tips and advice. To answer some of your questions, my main purpose for losing weight is to lower my chances of becoming diabetic, as diabetes runs on my father's side. This is why my eating problem is such a huge concern for me. I have a severe sweet tooth that I need to learn how to control and I need to learn how to control it as soon as possible. Personally, I would like to rid my diet of desserts for good. I was successful in doing so last summer when I was able to satisfy my craving for sweet foods with fruit or with a piece of sugar-free gum or mint. I was not tempted whatsoever by sweet foods back then, but since my stress eating began, I ate whatever what was insight, thus I developed the sweet tooth that I'm trying to control now.

To katykosto, I have tried the method of drinking large amounts of water in order to fill my stomach before having a meal. (Thankfully, I have completely given up on drinking sugary drinks. Nowadays, the only liquid I drink is water.) I found that this method hasn't quite worked for me, however. The water that I drink ends up going right through me, if you know what I mean. And I actually have a friend who is currently in college studying to become a registered dietitian. She told me that you can eat, at the latest, an hour or two before you go to sleep, but you need to make sure that whatever you eat is healthy, such as fruit. I'm not completely sure if it is true, but that is what she told me.

To brittanya92, I have tried that method of having a small dessert daily, but I end up going back for seconds or I end up giving myself a large serving. Basically, once I have a taste of something sweet, my brain goes haywire and I just go back for more and more. In other words, I'm pretty sure that I am a sugar addict...

To lefty421, you are right on point. That is exactly how I feel when these eating episodes occur and that is exactly how my brain reacts when I eat something sweet. I want to completely rid my home of foods with added sugars, but, like I mentioned in my first post, my parents continue to purchase the sweets or they bring them home from work despite giving serious talks about my eating problems to them. I have even teared up while explaining it to them, but like I wrote before, they just respond with, "You need to control your eating." and then they continue to buy those foods. I will try to have another serious sit-down conversation with them as soon as possible.

To VegGrrl, I will go out and purchase that book soon. (Surprisingly, all of the copies in the libraries in and around my area have been checked out.) Thank you for the recommendation.

To kritterxx, I have tried that method and it has worked in terms of keeping the sugary foods out of the house for the most part. Sometimes, for example, my mother will still buy something I told her not to buy because she tells me it's for her to eat and that I need to control my cravings and not eat it, but that has not worked. I will try to be more firm with her. I have also tried keeping out of the kitchen by staying in my room after having a healthy and portion-controlled meal and by occupying myself with internet surfing or with a movie. My parents have noticed this habit however and think that I'm always locked up in my room and don't spend enough time with them, so they force me to come out and hang around the living room or office. Both rooms, however, are connected to the kitchen, so you can all guess where this is going...

To kdeaux1959, I am more than sure that I am not mistaking overeating for healthy eating. For example, I recall one day in which I ate a large bowl of homemade fried rice, 4 ice cream treats, 4 fairly large chocolate chunk cookies, and a large bowl of sugary cereal with milk over the course of a 6 hour time span. In no way am I exaggerating. I do not believe in dieting for the purpose of trying to emulate a model or some Hollywood starlet, as I explained before that this is for my health since diabetes runs in my family. I work out daily for an average of 4-5 hours (running, walking, dancing and using hand weights), since I have a lot of time of my hands since finishing the school year, so my issue is primarily diet-related. I will still take your advice, however, so thank you. I do know that I need to increase my protein and fiber intake in order to curb my appetite.

To htolen, thank you for your words of encouragement. I should develop the habit of reflecting on myself more. I actually just thought of an idea of keeping a diary that I could write in everyday. To answer your question, I am not losing weight to impress my parents. I've actually tried convincing my parents to exercise more and to go on a diet themselves, but of course it didn't work. Regardless, my efforts are all for my own benefit and no one else's. I will seriously consider your advice and I appreciate your wise words. Thank you.

I feel like I just told my whole life's story to you all, but I certainly feel much better letting it all out. :smile: After going back and re-reading my responses to your posts, I've realized that the main issue concerns my parents and the fact that they continually buy foods with added sugars and desserts. I will most definitely have another serious conversation with them soon. Thank you again for all of your kind words of encouragement and for your advice. If you have any other tips, please do not hesitate to post more onto this thread, as I will continue to read them. Thank you all so much. I truly appreciate all of your help. Knowing that I'm not alone in this makes me smile. Thank you again.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Your parents may not get on board with you for their own reasons. Maybe they struggle with food addictions too and they aren't ready to deal with that now. Or maybe they, like many other intelligent, compassionate people, have never heard of food addiction before, and believe in good old-fashioned willpower.

Maybe you could offer some material for them to read to help them understand the science behind food addiction. I recommend an article in the magazine "VegNews" called Caution: Addiction. You can find it here: http://vegnews.idigitaledition.com/issues/aos15211172/
    You might just try googling sugar addiction to see what you come up with.

Give them time to process it all, but in the meantime, please know that you can do whatever you set your mind to, regardless of your current surroundings. I did not find your description of what you ate in a single day unfamiliar at all. My life used to revolve around my next fix. But now that I'm "clean" it doesn't bother me when my husband and two kids eat sweets. I do all the shopping and cooking, but I'm not strong enough to bake. I buy ice cream, etc., but I can resist it now because sugar isn't in my system anymore calling the shots.

When I decided to give up sugar, I was terrified. But I was also scared of continuing in my addiction. I just took it one hour at a time, and had the mind-set that this was like preparing my body for surgery or following some sort of medical protocol - that it was for a good cause, and it would be over soon enough. I ate fruit often and occupied myself with pleasant things like shopping, or a good movie, or talking with a friend. The hardest part was holding on to the belief that the torture would be over soon, and that I wouldn't have to live every day of the rest of my life fighting this hard with temptation.

On the forth day, the withdrawal was mostly over, and then it became extremely important to me to keep going, because I didn't want to have to repeat those three days of withdrawal!!

I can't even begin to describe how free I feel now. My addiction was holding me hostage, and making me despise myself. I believed all kinds of bad things about myself because I had a substance in my body that altered the function of my brain.

I wish the best for you, and hope you can come to believe that success will be yours, no matter what your parents are doing. You don't have to be a victim of circumstance! It's clear from your writing that you're very intelligent and mature. I know you can do it - I'm rooting for you!!
  • Nellanad
    Nellanad Posts: 5
    Options
    Are you over eating or just cant stop eating sweets??? If you are over eating, what helped me was eating slower. Take some time between bites to let the food go down, and enjoy your food for a second. The slower you eat, a smaller amount of food is being taken in while still filling you up, instead of eating quickly and a lot, which leads to a bloated feeling and a lot more calorie intake. I have also heard and read that you tend to eat more when watching TV. I cant say that I agree with that, but if you watch TV while eating, try clicking it off.

If you just cant stop eating sweets, I really cant help you there since I'm not really a sweet tooth, sorry. :)

Good luck
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    y not wear a swimsuit at home. you'll prob not feel comfy snacking in that!

if sweets is your problem. buy like 10 bananas and keep those in the kitchen, and bedroom, living room. they will fill you up fast!
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without seeing your diary. Much of this has been said already but I also have a serious sweet tooth. This is whatI do:

-make sure Im not thirsty
    -lots of protein - canned tuna for lunch I find really excellent
    -have a sweet/cake/ice cream ban until your sugar addiction eases a bit.
    -eat 1500. Anything under a 1300 and I get cravings - even if I dont cave that day I cave pretty soon
    -I budget a slimfast shake as my sweet treat at the end of the day - reasoning is this: Slimfast gives me sweet but with a 1/3 of my daily nutrient requirement which helps balance my appetite. I can easily adjust it without feeling deprived - so if I go over in a day then I have a half a drink or even a quarter. I cant have half a cookie or a dessert without it really bugging me. Im not saying do slimfast like this (it is odd I admit) but maybe find something you can use like this - frozen banana slices? If you need that hit then find a way of incorporating it that works for you.

I do considerably less exercise that you but I am convinced that diet is the main factor in weightloss. Exercise is great for lots of things but you cant out exercise crappy eating.
  • DRUMSTiCKSZ
    Options
    Thank you for the new responses. I'm sorry to say that I am currently writing this response while in tears. Despite my calm discussion I had with them about keeping sugary foods out of house a few days ago, showing them a 60 Minutes segment about the dangers of added sugars and even going grocery shopping with my mother to prevent her from buying the foods that I'm addicted to, my father still managed to buy a large bucket of ice cream and my mother came home from work with 3 dessert breads/cakes. I'm crying now because I just ate about a quarter of a loaf of one of the dessert cakes along with a heaping bowl of ice cream. After realizing what I had done, I confronted my parents about it, asking them why they continued to buy those foods even though I BEGGED them not to. When I told them I had a food addiction, they laughed. THEY. LAUGHED. That's when I began to break down crying. And now they're complaining that they have to make adjustments to accommodate me, like the world revolves around me. I am going crazy. When it comes to school or work, they fully support me, but when it comes to food addiction, they think it's a joke. They do think that all I need is strong willpower to resist the temptations, but I know that I need more than that at this point. I also have done some research and I most definitely have Binge Eating Disorder or BED. I am currently reading two books that are meant to guide me in overcoming BED ("Food: The Good Girl's Drug" by Sunny Sea Gold and "Why Can't I Stop Eating?" by Debbie Danowski and Pedro Lazaro, M.D.).

I read and will try all of your suggestions, but I am most confident with the idea of ridding my house of all sweets... that is, if I can ever get my parents to comply. I believe that method was key in my successful weight loss last summer. Thank you all again.