Oats

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
I love instant oatmeal and have been eating the "No Sugar Added Maple Syrup and Brown Sugar" type, but don't like the added ingredients... aspertame? no thanks. So I brought in the big container of rolled oats and prepared them according to the instructions (which are basically the same as for the instant) but they just don't taste as good! Not only the flavor but the consistency is horrible. Does anyone have suggestions for preparing regular old Rolled Oats in the microwave?

Thanks!

Replies

• famv5
    famv5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love the Quaker Old Fashioned oats in the cylinder shaped container. The way I make mine is I follow the "heart" healthy serving size which I believe is 3/4 cup of dry oats. Then you add a pinch of salt and 1 1/2 cups of water or milk. I prefer water and I put in just under 1 1/2 cups of water because I prefer my oatmeal a little thick.

I put mine in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds and it comes out perfect! I usually mix in 1 tbsp of brown sugar or some blueberries.

Try making it again because maybe it just didn't turn out right the first time. I have messed mine up before by giving too much water or leaving it in the microwave too long and it bombed. Also, if you take it out of the microwave and it's too thick, just add a little more water. :)

Good luck! I hope it turns out because it's really good for you.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know about rolled oats, but if you cook a big batch of steel cut oats on the weekend, you can refrigerate it, and then microwave your portions during the week. I find that to be as convenient and with less "unwanted" extras in the oatmeal.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    I learned this from childhood friends that were skinny swedish girls.

:heart: RAW Oatmeal (in a bowl)
    :heart: Sugar
    :heart: Cold Milk

Eat it like regular cereal.....Really stays with you....I know, I know...don't add sugar but a little sure helps the rawness of the oats. Mmmmmm good.:drinker:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am the same way -- I generally try adding things like cinnamon, unsweetened applesauce or jams, even maple syrup [that my family makes] , raisins, some dark choco chips, any lil thing that's still good for you to add and give it flavor, the best for me i find is the cinnamon and apples/applesauce

but it still always seems to taste way blander, i guess its just somethng our taste buds have to get used to :flowerforyou:
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I take 1/2 c dry quick oats, add hot water straight from the tea kettle into the bowl and stir. It takes some playing with it to get the right consistency that you like, but I've found this method is WAY better than boiling the heck out of it and letting it get all mushy and yucky....:sick: . I do add a ton of cinnamon and usually a couple tblsp of chopped walnuts. When I first started doing this I also used 2 - 3 tsp brown sugar but I've worked myself off of it.

I dont microwave it, just let the hot water do the trick. I find this way it stays a bit "crunchier" (for lack of a better word) more substantial, less mush.

Also, I omit the salt it calls for...extra sodium just not needed.

I top it with 1/2 c low fat vanilla yogurt too...yum!

its my fav breakfast and have it almost every day.
  • CrossedFlags
    CrossedFlags Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Coaches oats available at Costco are absolutely great. Stove top prep though. Almost anything instant and microvaveable can't really be good for you. Just my opinion.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats too. I add brown sugar and blueberries. Also craisens are good. So are walnuts and chopped bananas. A little bit of brown sugar goes a long way! This is what i eat every morning after my workout!
  • ismsdad
    Options
    I microwave the oats and water, always using a 2/1 water oat ratio with a pinch of salt for two minutes. I chop up an apple and let that cook in there as well. Then I add a little cinnamon and some walnut pieces and a half teaspoon of sugar after the cooking.
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I do know what you mean about it being bland. I buy the premade oatmeal with raisins and walnuts or something like that. Not to high in calories either.
  • bneal86
    Options
    I just recently joined this website. I am trying to lose like 8lbs or so. Every morning I eat oats. I think it is very filling and holds me for a long time. My favorite is this.

-1/2 cup of quaker quick oats
    -Boil water in microwave for 2 min. pour just a little over the oats to get the consistency you prefer
    -1 container of dannon light and fit yogurt

The vanilla and strawberry are my favorite. It is good with fresh cut strawberries on top!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

Eat it like regular cereal.....Really stays with you....I know, I know...don't add sugar but a little sure helps the rawness of the oats. Mmmmmm good.:drinker:

ooooo i will try that!
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    On thing I did years ago, shoud do it again, now that I'm thinking of it...
    Take a egg white and beat with a dash of sugar, I like a packet of splenda with fiber.
    Add your oats and make an oat pancake. Cook it with pam on your pan.. it doesn't take long to cook on both sides, I then like to add reduced fat Peanut Butter to it!!!! way yummy and full of protein, all good stuff.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options

yeah that is good, I grow up puting Butter in it too!!! Not anymore though!!!! maybe that's why I'm here now:laugh:
  • SulisVioletWings
    Options
    My son loved the quaker maple and brown sugar individually bagged garbage.... It took me a bunch of "tries" before my homemade stuff passed his tastebuds! Now he asks for it almost everyday.

I use

Presedints Choice Organic Oats.... 1/3 cup
    cold tap water 3/4 cup

Bring the water to a boil on the stovetop and pour in oats, cook for 3-5 mins.....
    It takes only a fraction longer than putting it into a microwave and "zapping" it with who knows what kind of electic feild......

He then puts on his own "real" maple syrup and golden brown sugar...

On mine I pour blueberries in the bowl under the oatmeal then as it settles over them they melt and pop in the bowl. Yougert and e.d.smith triple fruit jam also go well on top...

There are many options of what to sprinkle on top or under but its knowing you are giving your body the healthest oatmeal you possiblly can that feels good on the inside. Your taste buds will soon mature and recgonize more sutle flavors.

Thank you
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Try adding 1/2 of a mashed up ripe banana (not too ripe but if they aren't ripe enough, they aren't sweet enough). This adds a ton of sweetness and great flavor. I do prefer stove top cooking to microwave. I don't think the oats really cook in microwave.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,749 Member
    Options
    I microwave my old-fashioned oats. I have found I prefer the consistency if I use less water and cook it longer at lower power. I use 1/2 cup oats and 3/4 cup water (and salt) and cook for 5 minutes at 70% power.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    hmmm...this is my mom's recipe and I love it!
    u will have to play with the portions tho cuz i only know how to do it on the stove....

1 cup water (bring to a boil and add oatmeal)
    1 cup quaker oats

when the oats look a lil cooked add ....

about3/4 cups of milk (2%)
    i add a small can of carnation evaporated milk to make it thicker (*optional)
    sugar to taste

and when it's done, I add cinammon.

yummy :)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I microwave my old-fashioned oats. I have found I prefer the consistency if I use less water and cook it longer at lower power. I use 1/2 cup oats and 3/4 cup water (and salt) and cook for 5 minutes at 70% power.

I do the same thing!! Lower power, I use 1/2 c. oats and a little over 3/4 c. water (no salt) and cook 1 min on full power, and then do lower power (70%) for another 1 1/2 min, watching to make sure it doesn't bubble over.

Experiment w/ adding in different things. I like to add protein powder to mine, chocolate or vanilla flavor, also berries, sliced banana, and my fall favorite is to add pumpkin! Walnuts or natural PB is good to stir in too.

I love my oats!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,749 Member
    Options

I do the same thing!! Lower power, I use 1/2 c. oats and a little over 3/4 c. water (no salt) and cook 1 min on full power, and then do lower power (70%) for another 1 1/2 min, watching to make sure it doesn't bubble over.

Experiment w/ adding in different things. I like to add protein powder to mine, chocolate or vanilla flavor, also berries, sliced banana, and my fall favorite is to add pumpkin! Walnuts or natural PB is good to stir in too.

I love my oats!
    I do mine in a big 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup. I got tired of cleaning up the mess! :laugh:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Rolled Oats
    Hot water
    pinch of kosher salt
    brown sugar
    LOTS of cinnamon.
    I just let it sit for a bit. I like the chewier texture as opposed to the "mushier" texture of microwaving.

Although tomorrow I'm trying rolled oats with cold milk. Sounds good!