help IBS pain

Options
Hi I have run out of my tablets for my IBS and the pain as just kicked off has anybody got any ideas of what can help it please
thanks in advance !

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    My sister says that peppermint tea helps her or just chew on a whole bunch of altoids. Seriously. Peppermint relaxes your intestinal tract.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I had regular attacks, some that would put me in shock and cause me to vomit.

I found that a an ounce of cashews daily, and I no longer needed the medicine, and I haven't had a serious attack in over 5 years.
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I also keep peppermint tablets in my purse, they seem to help with the gas & pain. I was lucky to find the book Eating for IBS by Heather van Vorous several years ago & it has helped me be almost symptom free. Usually the only times I have issues now are stress related. check out this author's website http://www.helpforibs.com/
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary & I don't know if you already do this, but I found cutting out most processed foods & getting at least 30 grams fiber a day has taken all the IBS pain away. I noticed within a few weeks of joining MFP I felt all better. Peppermint never worked for me, but I have had others say it did for them. Good luck & feel better!
  • slimpickings36
    Options
    I also keep peppermint tablets in my purse, they seem to help with the gas & pain. I was lucky to find the book Eating for IBS by Heather van Vorous several years ago & it has helped me be almost symptom free. Usually the only times I have issues now are stress related. check out this author's website http://www.helpforibs.com/

will do thanks x
  • slimpickings36
    Options
    I can't see your diary & I don't know if you already do this, but I found cutting out most processed foods & getting at least 30 grams fiber a day has taken all the IBS pain away. I noticed within a few weeks of joining MFP I felt all better. Peppermint never worked for me, but I have had others say it did for them. Good luck & feel better!

Thanks I constantly drink peppermint tea and it don't help me so will try and add extra fiber
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ginger tea also works. i even a bet a peppermint ginger tea would be delicious
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Depends if its ISB-D or ISB-C,
    Supplements for Calcium or Magnesium solve most cases, if its ISB-D and you take the calcium get a supplement with Vit D as this helps it absorb.

A quicker option is to take milk or solid cheese, maybe mixed in with scrambled egg, this is a gentle way of settling an upset tum & the calcium stops the ISB-D effects. I found the triggers for me to be Caffine, anything from the alium family - onions, leeks, strong garlic, peppers & phenelephyline (sp) found in cold remedies & some fizzy drinks. By eliminating these I've been medication free for 2 years, after 3 years of taking Mebeverine & Fybogel (small fortune each month in prescriptions!)

Never suffered with ISB-C so can't help with that too much.