"real" vs. "fake" protein

Options
2»

Replies

• OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ It's all about preference ... but if your shooting for 100+ grams of protein a day, it will be hard to consume only solid foods to reach that goal ... therefore protein bars and or shakes can be a great source of protein. Just be certain to check the labels for sugar/ carbs / calories.

I get about 60-80 grams from whole foods and the remainder from protein bars / shakes. On really intense workout days I sometimes need 180+ grams of protein ... on non / low workout days I try to consume my lean body mass in grams.

My macros are 30 / 30 / 40 ( Protein being 40% )
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I just recently came to the revelation, oh hey, maybe everyone isn't making this whole "eat a bunch of protein" thing up. I have my macros set at 40/30/30 and it's been awesome. I used to have problems with binge eating and I don't anymore because I always feel full.

My question is... Is there a difference between getting your protein from food and getting it from protein bars, shakes, etc.? I probably get about half of my 135 grams of protein from shakes and bars. That seems high to me. I'm sure it would matter if you're hardcore about not eating anything processed, but I'm not really a stickler for that.

Thoughts?

Not really, the only reason you may want to opt for whole foods would be satiety reasons, generally people find whole foods more filling than shakes/bars

Correct, typically whole foods keep me fuller for longer. Probably because it takes longer to digest. But it's not a huge difference. I do a shake every morning for breakfast and a bar for a snack later on. Just avoid the shakes and bars that are just milkshakes and candy bars with a small amount of protein in them. At least 20g of protein in your bar or 20-25g per scoop in a shake is what I aim for. I generally shoot for an average of 225g per day so the supplements help.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am hitting 126g protein some days, with no supplements and being a pescetarian. I have eggs, cottage cheese, a lot of 0% Fage yoghurt, fish, seafood and avocados. I have no issues eating enough and often go well over my daily protein goal, tho my macros are set to 45, 30, 25 or somesuch. I need my carbs to fuel the amount of cycling I do.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have tons of shakes. I don't like meat. I eat the meats that I do like, but it ends up not being enough usually. Plus I love protein shakes. I dare someone to have a protein shake made with cottage cheese and psyllium husk powder and not feel satiated! :)
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't post when I'm exhausted. I meant to quote someone who wrote that there was no real difference between real and fake protein and instead I quoted someone who likes chicken thighs. To set the record straight, I am a vegetarian who is clueless when it comes to chicken thighs but I do love Tera's Organic Dark Chocolate Whey Protein Powder. Mix it up, put it in the freezer for a few minutes and voila! a 90 calorie chocolate milkshake.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there really is NOT a difference. I have stopped doing protein shakes but I still eat protein bars on days that I lift weights. I usually get my protein from MEAT lol, eggs and Greek yogurt. I generally can hit 90 - 120 grams of protein w/ out bars or shakes if I pre-plan my meals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference for me is that I get a bit gassy if I supplemented with too many shakes over actual food. But protein wise, it really doesn't make a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    I am hitting 126g protein some days, with no supplements and being a pescetarian. I have eggs, cottage cheese, a lot of 0% Fage yoghurt, fish, seafood and avocados. I have no issues eating enough and often go well over my daily protein goal, tho my macros are set to 45, 30, 25 or somesuch. I need my carbs to fuel the amount of cycling I do.

Sameish. I hit 130g+ without any protein powder... I don't find it hard at all. In fact I typically hit 130-160g on good days and can actually still be under on carbs, fat, sodium and cals.

Just focusing on the mostly protein foods I have in a day:

• 4+ egg whites at breakfast
    • 4-6 oz chicken or turkey for lunch
    • serving Fage 0% (single serving container)
    • cheese (like Feta or goat)
    • lean meat for dinner - typically around 6-8oz
    • peanut butter (Bell Plantation/BP2 = low in cals, high in protein, still good fat...)

I guess just do your research and of course eat whatcha want and like but this is my experience.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    In terms of the quality of protein, no there is no difference. Most people would get their suppliments from whey products, which is refined from a natural source.

The thing to remember though, is that protein intake - while very important - is not the only thing you need to consider in your diet. When eating other whole foods such as chicken, fish, red meat, eggs, yoghurt etc is that there are a whole host of other nutrients in them. Having some sort of variety in protein sources is beneficial to some point in that it will help meet your micronutrient needs.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    if i can take my protein with whole foods then i'll do it, but in times that i'm missing then would rather take the protein shakes, at least it's better than nothing.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Well, I would not say bars and shakes is "fake" protein. Many times, this protein is plant based (peanut butter is a common ingredient). A variety of protein sources is good so that one receives a balance of the essential amino acids in the diet so I would not rely on only one or two sources of protein. Current literature suggests that one does not have to necessarily eat meat to be able to achieve the balance of amino acids (though it may be easier to achieve if you do eat at least some meat products). It is possible to exceed protein needs and contribute to high cholesterol as well as possible kidney strain. Balance in all things.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i never use shakes or bars!!! i get a lot of my protein from greek yoghurt, also Kashi Golean cereal which is amazing! also shrimp, tuna and chicken.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just adding to what has already been said - protein shakes and bars are fine to get the protein levels up.

I am a vegetarian and have no problem getting to over 130g without protein shakes or bars (I am at 157g today with only 6g from protein powder). I usually sprinkle some on my greek yoghurt or sometimes have a shake to make sure I will get enough protein.

Just for the micronutrients, you should probably look to try to get the majority from 'real food' but there is nothing wrong with getting a fair chunk of your allowance from powders and bars.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it but as much as possible try incorporating protein from whole foods. Protein shakes & bars are designed for a quick meal on the go or as a supplement if you're having difficult time getting your daily protein intake but still nothing beats whole foods. As much as possible I try to get my protein sources from whole foods. I usually do a mix protein powder to my fruit smoothies when I'm at the gym after a lifting session since our gym has a fruit shake booth wherein you have the option of adding protein powder to it or none, with additional cost of course.
  • V1sual
    V1sual Posts: 3
    Options
    Only real difference vs real food such as chicken breast vs whey protein is the other nutrients added. I tend to add BCAAs to my shakes and make sure i have a multivitamin to make sure all the bases are covered. Helps me hit ~180g per day (1g/lb)
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I aim for 150 g of protein a day. I eat at around 2000 cals a day and I still have to supplement half the time with powder in order to reach this amount. I usually add 1/2 scoop to whatever foods I eat during the day a few times. So, if I have old fashioned oats for breakfast, I'll add 1/2 scoop protein powder to that. Later in the day if I have plain Greek yogurt, I'll add another 1/2 scoop to flavor the yogurt. It tastes great and helps me reach my daily goals :) Sometimes I'll another 1/2 or whole scoop with cottage cheese, fruit, and chilled green tea to make a fabulous pick me up smoothie. Not every day is perfect and we can't always eat a crap load of eggs and meat. If I'm on the go all day, I'll drink my shakes or have a CLIFF protein bar (organic) and it's all okay. I always have a cliff protein bar in my purse just in case I'm out longer than planned or if I just need to eat.