Stuck in a zone

Options
cdpm
cdpm Posts: 297 Member
I've been counting calories and exercising for coming up to 2 years now. This time last year I had lost 28 lbs and was down to 154lbs. Not bad for a years work! Since then I've gained lbs and keep yo-yoing between 160 - 165 lbs and this has been going on since about October.
I've read posts with people in similar positions and I've tried eating more calories, eating less calories. Changing my carb/protein/fat ratios. Making sure I eat back exercise calories.Doing more resistance workouts Taking measurements to see any loss there etc.

Now I'm just so fed up with it all and It's getting very frustrating. Especially as I'm on track to being bigger this summer than I was last summer if I don't break out of this range!
Any advice or tips would be welcome as it's been going on for so long!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    best to open your diary and tell more about your height etc to give folks a clue.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    More and Less are relative terms. Open your diary, fully describe your exercise plan, give your height.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    Open diary for you to look at (I didn't log from Thursday - Monday, but it's all there up to Wednesday). It has my exercises logged as well. Height is 5' 5''. I workout about 4 times a week, I was working with the 30 Day shred as well, to make sure I was getting a bit of strength training in everyday.
    I'm currently on 1400 cals a day, but not sure if I should increase or decrease this.
    I'm open to constructive criticism here, else I'd be losing steadily if I wasn't doing something wrong.. right?
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Check out the group here called Eat More to Weigh Less. There is a lot of great information and the people there are quite responsive to these topics. They have had a lot of success and good reading there along the way.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    first step is to log more consistently. Whenever I skip days it tends to lead to not so good choices. Log very honestly for a few weeks so you can see exactly what you are doing. Secondly, if possible can you try eating less processed foods. From what I could see you are eating a lot of premade pasta/sandwiches and take out. although the calories are under I wonder if the sodium is correct. Most of the time take out and processed are very high in sodium. Good luck to you!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused - you said you were eating back your exercise calories but there's often a few hundred left on your food diary ?
  • Bub1971
    Bub1971 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sometimes with me when I hit plateaus its not adequate water consumption on a consistently.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Without knowing that much about you, it would seem that you have found your natural plane - everybody has one where they seem to be able to maintain comfortably.

However, if you are not logging your calories then the likelihood is that you are eating way more than you think you are, especially when you log your take-away food. If you've been ding that the past couple of weeks, then that could account for your weight gain.

I'd almost say start for scratch.

Spend the next two weeks eating normally - logging everything. Don't worry if you are over on days. Make food notes, use scales to measure portions and see what your true calorie count is. It might surprise you!

If you have an HRM, pop it on one afternoon when you are doing something typical and let it run for 3-5 hrs. That should give you an indication of how many calories you are burning just getting on with daily life. Compare that to when you are exercising and if necessary make adjustments on your exercise calories burnt less your normal activity burn.

Then once the Jubilee Bank Holiday is over, start eating as per MFP. Choose a goal weight loss and try and stick to it. If you've identified any foods that might be holding on to the weight - pasta, bread, potatoes (all very lovely at times, but VHC for what they are) maybe exclude them temporarily or at least cut back on them. Try having protein with every meal and cut out the crisps for 4-6 weeks. You need carbs as much as you need fat and protein as well as vitamins and minerals - finding the balance that works for you is the tricky bit. Try and enjoy what you eat and don't eat anything you don't enjoy, just because you believe it's good for you. Carry on with your exercises.

Only weight yourself once a week (same day, same conditions) and make sure you've taken a start weight, as well as bust, waist, hip & thigh measurements too (and maybe a front & profile picture).

This is just my suggestion. I'm not claiming any prior knowledge of your personal circumstances, or that I'm a qualified PT, nutritionist or medical professional.

Good luck!