Protein limit too low?

Options
My protein limit is currently 52g but I always seem to go over this with my normal foods. I have tried to cut back certain things but even my Greek Yogurt eats up half my protein so I'm left with only a meal and a half worth of protein. Is it bad if I go over because I seem to every day. I dont feel like if I go over by 5-10g that it is a problem, its better than me going over by 200 calories or grams of fat, which I dont. Just something thats been bugging me, any info is more than welcome.

Replies

• Monife
    Monife Posts: 9
    Options
    I think the protein limits MFP sets are too low. I go over on them every day but I just ignore it. As long as it is lean and healthy protein, I don't see the problem.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Its easy to change go to my goal and customise your settings,
    I currently have mine at 40% carbs and 30% fat and 30% protein, as I didn't want to go down the low fat route, I tend to love carbs and find if I take them down too much I'm always over.
    It's only a number and there to point you in the right direction.
    Lots of threads around regarding high protein

good luck in your weight loss and keep eating those proteins they ARE the building blocks :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i workut more intensely with weights so my protein is way up there on the avg of 130-160 give or take. i use the food and exercise diary on here as a guide and do not etch it in stone. you have to add or take away whatever is comfortable for you. 56 g of protein is totally not enough for me .i have six meals a day and that 56 is often just two meals worth
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I eat 52g in one meal.

Go to My Home->Goals->Change Goals->Custom and change the percentages.

If you know your body fat %, aim for 1g/lb of lean mass. If you don't know your body fat, aim for 1g/lb of body weight. Then, make sure you have enough fat. Aim for between 0.4-1g/lb of total weight. Then fill in the rest for carbs.
  • HarlequinnAsh
    Options
    So its not just me. I did change it a little bit to allow for some more protein in my diet. I was just surprised how much protein I got out of my daily meals and confused at how that was a bad thing.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I try my best to eat at least 115g per day (please don't look at today, I'm sick as a dog lol). Yes, MFP sets it WAY low. Truthfully, going over on fat and/or protein isn't an issue. Keep your calories in line.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so I don't know what your calorie goal is, but I shoot for 30% of my calories from protein and the number MFP gives me is way low for that.

Another way to figure it is 0.8 grams per lb body weight, OR 1 g per lb of your GOAL weight.

All of these numbers are likely higher than what MFP is giving you in your allowance, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think of the protein as more of a *minimum* goal rather than a maximum. It's best to have all things in moderation, of course, but having extra protein isn't the same as, say, having extra saturated fats.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I eat 52g in one meal.

Go to My Home->Goals->Change Goals->Custom and change the percentages.

If you know your body fat %, aim for 1g/lb of lean mass. If you don't know your body fat, aim for 1g/lb of body weight. Then, make sure you have enough fat. Aim for between 0.4-1g/lb of total weight. Then fill in the rest for carbs.

Thanks for posting that! I was sure there was a way to change your goals, but I couldn't figure it out (didn't try to hard really, but thanks for putting it out there).
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I use the 40% (protein) - 40% (carb) - 20% (fat) -- seems to work well... maybe you could research it a bit see if that is a fit for you :)