I need a flavor I can fall in love with!

Options
So I am scheduled to have lap band on November 24 and I am going to have to drink protien drinks. However I am disgussted by the flavor of most of those drinks. I know with out a doubt I can not take the ones that are suppossed to be like shakes. I was ok with the cherry nectar but if it is the only one I like I am not going to like it long. Are there any that are truly flavorless or with minimal after taste?

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    hmm i dont think I can be of help here, i dunno what restrictions u have but I drink slim fast optima shake in french vanilla and I love it.

great job on the 28lbs tho! that's awesome! keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    can you make your own drinks? Do you have restrictions for fruit? I put a banana and then frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, or whatever I'm in the mood for), yogurt, protein power and milk in a blender and make whatever flavor I want. You could use sugar free cocoa powder for a chocolate one. There are tons of smoothie recipies out there. But, be careful with sugar content. For me, refined sugar (even honey) tends to increase my hunger. So, if you buy a product, try for something designed for diabetics, so the glycemic impact is lower. I don't seem to have the same problem with sugars from fruit.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to help either. I like the Special K Protein Shakes but you said that you can't take those. Sorry I wish I was of more help.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The Designer Whey sweetened with Stevia has a very good taste. I mix it with coffee or blueberries or just plain and it doesn't have the yucky fake aftertaste most of the shakes have. They are also all natural so that is good, too.
  • kksam
    kksam Posts: 38
    Options
    I have found that if I use the powder slim fast and mix it in a blender the taste is great. Can't stand the can ones......too tin flavored. I also had to take ensure before my transplant and really like the vanilla flavors but they must be cold. Good luck to you.
  • emkay617
    Options
    Try Muscle Milk light - i love all the flavors..choc mint, cookie dough, vanilla... Also the brand "dessert" makes really good protein powder- the name doesn't lie- its tastey!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I second Muscle Milk!!! The chocolate flavor is sooo good and it's low in sugar with no sugar alcohol, and also lactose free! Delish!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb protein powder is the absolute BEST!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The flavor of most of those would be greatly improved with some frozen fruit and a blender. If you're allowed to do that, here are some recipes:

http://www.trulyhuge.com/protein_smoothie_recipes.htm

Good luck with your surgery, and here's hoping you don't go too insane having to drink those shakes. :drinker:
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I spoke with the clerk at a natural foods store yesterday and she suggested blending in frozen fruit also as well as mixing it with water instead of milk so I am going to try that. The issue with the special K and even slimfast is that it has too much sugar not enough protein. I will try some muscle milk also anything to get the protien down.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I spoke with the clerk at a natural foods store yesterday and she suggested blending in frozen fruit also as well as mixing it with water instead of milk so I am going to try that. The issue with the special K and even slimfast is that it has too much sugar not enough protein. I will try some muscle milk also anything to get the protien down.

Jay Robb has good protein and it has no sugar. It is sweetened with stevia. You don't have to Doctor it up at all.