NSV - Dining out w the team

Options
Last night after a long day, the team I work with wanted to go out and grab dinner. Without a moment of hesitation, I said I was in as well. We went to a BBQ restaurant and I opened the menu and saw the 660 calorie dinner portion of the menu and I went straight there. I saw the Steak Tenderloins on the menu and pulled out my phone and hit the myfitnesspal app to look up the restaurant and the entree. It was listed and showed at 550 for the dinner, including the brocolli and grilled pineapple steaks. I'm not a huge brocolli fan, so I swapped it for corn on the cob, which I also found on the site. Everyone else got huge combo platters with double meat. My entree arrived, I had the steak, one of the grilled pineapple steaks and one of the pieces of corn on the cob. And I was quite satisfied, not feeling the slightest bit hungry or guilty as the rest of the guys wolfed down their huge portions. Before I started, I would have been eating like the others. Now, I can't even think of eating that way!

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I love the lighter menus! I never used to eat them before, and now both my husband and I order off of them. The food is just as good, and the portions are perfect!
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    Great job! That is a big deal! Good for you! Congratulations on making positive changes! BTW, that dinner you ordered sounds delicious!
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Fantastic!! Good for you!!
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Great Job, you definately rocked it! I still find dining out is one of my biggest challenges....
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    nice job
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I travel 80% of the time for work and meals are a constant stuggle! Light options are great and I am so glad to see them more and more.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! I am the same way. I went to dinner last week with my father and before I ordered I logged it to make sure it was within my caloric range. Good job!
  • wendolene17
    Options
    That is awesome - good for you!!!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Celebrating your NSV with you!
    Isn't it *liberating* when you can feel confident going out and remaining control over yourself?
    It's QUITE LIKELY you're a positive role model for a few (who knows? maybe ALL of them?) as
    they watch what you do, and how it has already transformed you!

Early on, I avoided doing this because I knew I'd cave and eat alongside everyone else. (result: I felt resentment, and it was an emotional roller coaster>>>binge)
    Later, I thought the best approach was to go and just take my own snacks and nibble ( result: I gave the impression
    I was too good for them)

Then, with advice from my friends here on MFP, I learned how to order better, eat along with them,
    not draw heavy attention to ME, and just enjoyed the company of the people I was with.
    Result: They started paying attention to what I was ordering, asking advice, and implementing it in their own lives...slow changes for themselves.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    *cheering* I love when menus give their values - it makes things so much nicer!

Congrats on your progress!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! that is awesome!! I have been on maintenance for about 9 months with my journey starting January 2011.. i still remember the day/place/time i replaced french fries with a salad haha Now i play "what would the old me eat" and list what i would have gotten and laugh then become slightly disgusted at my old choices... congrats and keep at it, it will become second nature eventually and you'll learn to eat, actually crave, the healthier options :-)