Eating back exercise calories

Options
sa11yjane
sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
When you enter your details on this site, it asks how many sessions of exercise and how many minutes of exercise you will do each week. Surely then it uses this information when calculating your daily calorie intake?

So, when it sets my calorie intake at 1200 calories, this is assuming that I will do the 5 x 30 minute exercise sessions that I have entered onto the database?

If this is the case, then should I be entering these exercise session onto my daily diary as this then gives me extra calories to eat which have surely already been accounted for in the figures that they gave me so I would then be overeating if I ate them back? OR, should I just be entering any exercise OVER the pre-stated 30 minute exercise sessions?

Any ideas?!

Many thanks x

Replies

• dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I would say (from a non-expert view) that 1200 calories is absolutly the lowest you should go and you need to eat back all your exercise calories or you will not have enough energy/food to go about your daily life (or sustain this life style change long term)

Again - this is only my opinion

Diane
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It does NOT take into account the exercise you input in the settings, that is just to make an exercise goal for you. It only takes into account the activity level you set. Eat back the exercise calories.
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It does NOT take into account the exercise you input in the settings, that is just to make an exercise goal for you. It only takes into account the activity level you set. Eat back the exercise calories.

My thoughts exactly!
  • wendiann2222
    Options
    The sessions/minutes you entered will show up on the exercise page, so each time you enter what you did for exercise, it'll show up there like 30/30 or 20/30 mins or 2/5 for sessions. Once you enter the exercise, your food diary will tell you how many more calories you can eat. I'm a fan of eating my exercise calories because I become one helluva cranky-pants at 1200 cals haha
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I say eat your exercise calories before you workout! this way you burn them off.. i know you are not going to know exactly what you will burn but you can come close
  • caitlinmcauley
    Options
    i typically dont have a big appetite, so i find it really hard to eat them back. on the days where i just go for a walk, i dont feel obligated to eat them back. if i do a big work out on the elliptical, or an exercise dvd, i try to eat back most of them. my opinion is, if im not hungry, i shouldnt be shoving food down my throat. to me that seems worse then not eating them back at all.
  • thaislcrd
    thaislcrd Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Asked my doctor today and she said 1200 calories is fine if you are healthy, and I am, and that if I eat back my exercise calories I defeat the whole purpose of exercising, unless I want to mantain and not lose.

*I am eating around 1350 cal a day, but I do not eat all of my exercise calories back. I will not force myself to eat if I'm not hungry!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    go to settings >>>>>>> Update diet/fitness profile

the section ... How would you describe your normal daily activities? This is the part the site uses to alter your cal intake :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    MFP general tells women to eat 1200 and men around 1800. This is way off what you should be eating. So, yes, eat back every single morsel of your exercise cals, and then some.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Asked my doctor today and she said 1200 calories is fine if you are healthy, and I am, and that if I eat back my exercise calories I defeat the whole purpose of exercising, unless I want to mantain and not lose.

So you are saying that your doctor is advocating your only netting, say, 800-1000 calories a day and that you won't lose weight unless you eat that few calories? I'd find a new doctor, personally. One who actually understands how to lose weight in a healthy manner.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options

So you are saying that your doctor is advocating your only netting, say, 800-1000 calories a day and that you won't lose weight unless you eat that few calories? I'd find a new doctor, personally. One who actually understands how to lose weight in a healthy manner.

My thought as well.
  • mneiner
    mneiner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Either there has been a HUGE misunderstanding between you and your doctor OR you need a new doctor.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options

That's what I'm doing.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Unless you just had bariatric surgery, you need a new doctor. Even 1200 net is too low for the majority of people unless you're about 4'5".
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

What she said
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If you have 1200 calories for your budget, then that already includes a deficit that will allow you to lose weight. You set that deficit up when you went through the setup process (how many pounds a week you said you wanted to lose).

If you exercise, you are forcing your body into even more of a deficit. This might allow you to lose weight faster, or it might simply deprive your body of the energy it needs to keep your metabolism running efficiently.

MFP recommends eating back the exercise calories and maintaining the weight loss you set up. I've found through personal experience that NOT eating back your exercise calories will cause you to lose weight faster to start, then you will reach a "plateau" where your metabolism has slowed down and you either have to reduce calories even further or start eating more and get your metabolism back up (a "metabolism reset", which usually involves gaining a little weight for a short period).

Slow and steady wins the race. I'd urge you, especially starting out, to follow the guidelines of the site and eat back those exercise calories. I have gone the other way many times and not had good outcomes with it.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I think that the goal of how many times you exercise and how many minutes per week you exercise are mostly for your record keeping. To see how many minutes a week you're currently working out, do you need to add more, are you regularly exercising more than you originally thought you could. For me, I just changed my goal of burn an extra 500 calories per week over the course of 3 workouts. I then changed that goal to 1200 calories per week burned through exercise over the course of 4 days worth of exercise, as I've gotten adjusted and increased my ability. But my daily calories consumed goal didn't change from the 1200 net. So, really, I think it's just a way to keep tabs on your exercise goals. Just what I've always thought about it. SO, I eat the exercise calories, as I feel I need them. Most the time I eat them all back. Other days, if I am not hungry, I might be under 200-300 calories of my net goal of 1200.
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options

That "it defeats the whole purpose of exercising" thought is flawed. First of all, the whole purpose of exercising isn't solely burning calories, but also gaining lean mass, improving your circulatory system, "toning" up, and being able to eat more (why not?). Secondly, at 1200 calories you are already eating on a deficit (a very high one). If you eat 1200 and exercise 500, your net will be only 700 calories which isn't a healthy amount for weight loss. Sure, you'll lose, it might happen fast, but it won't be sustainable. As soon as you go back to eating a healthy amount, you'll start gaining it all back. Deprivation isn't the key. Slow and steady is the key.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    Everyone has different opinions on this...but for me...if I am hungry after I work out I am going to eat some of those calories back. I try to at least get 1200 cal in a day when I work out...and usually try to eat at least 1400 or more...I would just listen to your body..and if you are hungry eat!

I always try to remember..energy out..energy in...you eat to fuel your body.
  • andrevc
    andrevc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In your settings you indicate whether you are trying to maintain, gain or lose weight. So if your setting is to lose 1lb then you want to eat very close to the 1200kcal goal. Having too large of a calorie deficit can be just as bad as too many calories. Especially after a workout, it would be great to get a protein shake into you (I mean as soon as you can, like as you are walking out the gym) because your body is craving nourishment. Whey protein is great, but I prefer a mix of whey & casein if you have it. That will cover a good chunk of the calories you burned at the gym. Good luck'