running 10k

Options
There is a 10K coming up on June 9th this year that I was thinking about entering. The last race I did was a 5k about 10 years ago. I have been training and have done quite a few 6 mile runs for the past 3 months. these however have been on the treadmill and I am not sure how that translates to flat surface running. Obviously hills are a different matter. The weather broke and I did do a 2.5 mile run yesterday VERY hilly and no problems. Also I am used to running on soft ground not pavement which I assume that the race will be held on since it is not cross country. Should I still plan on doing this race that is just around the corner? is there enough time to transition to running on pavement, with wind and mild hills?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you can do 6 mi on the treadmill you can do it outside also. Do the race. Try to run outside more before the race so that your mind knows you can do it.
  • hikergalrm
    hikergalrm Posts: 20
    Options
    Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sheepiegail
    sheepiegail Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    what training program is good? I have been winging it and usually do my 6 miles Sat or Sun. I have been running 4-5 days a week with one day off and one day on the elliptical for an hour.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    If you can do 6 mi on the treadmill you can do it outside also. Do the race. Try to run outside more before the race so that your mind knows you can do it.

Yep!