Signed Up for a Half Marathon... Oh God.

Options
So, i walked in to work today, and everyone was happy to see me, and missed me over the last couple of days that i have been sick. so i was feeling pretty good, when 3 of my friends/coworkers came into my office and were like, "guess what! we're going to do a 22k in june! we're starting our running plan tomorrow! it's going to be so fun!" i felt sad. dejected. embarrased that they were all going to have fun without me. one of them said, "and guess what?! they have a walking section too! you have 6 hours to complete the race!" so, excited at the challenge, i signed up. i know i can easily do 5k because i do it every other weekend. however 4 times that amount i'm not so sure about, but i am definitely going to try.

i'm 276 pounds... i have 7 weeks to get ready for the race... did i bite off more than i can chew?

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    So, i walked in to work today, and everyone was happy to see me, and missed me over the last couple of days that i have been sick. so i was feeling pretty good, when 3 of my friends/coworkers came into my office and were like, "guess what! we're going to do a 22k in june! we're starting our running plan tomorrow! it's going to be so fun!" i felt sad. dejected. embarrased that they were all going to have fun without me. one of them said, "and guess what?! they have a walking section too! you have 6 hours to complete the race!" so, excited at the challenge, i signed up. i know i can easily do 5k because i do it every other weekend. however 4 times that amount i'm not so sure about, but i am definitely going to try.

i'm 276 pounds... i have 7 weeks to get ready for the race... did i bite off more than i can chew?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! You can do it!!!
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You can do this! You are an inspiration!
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You can do it, YES YOU CAN !!!
  • ashlaurenn
    Options
    Yes! just practice a little at a time. What a great goal to look forward too and think of how happy you will be when it comes around.

Go and get motivation by buying a new pair of runners that are right for you and get them christened!!

Don't do what i did and in preparation for a 10km marathon, got a stress fracture from too much training, too soon and i think also from running on a hard surface. owch, wasted my entrance fees too which was annoying.

good luck and yes you can do it!!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Take some music with you so you'll have something other than the finish line to focus on!!
  • chrissy8382015
    Options
    2 years ago I did a triathalon, I was over wieght and not in the best of shape. But I took it in little bites and I finished with a pretty good time. Keep going think positive and do your best and forget the rest.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ksukaro
    ksukaro Posts: 29
    Options
    I just recently completed one too, and what really kept me motivated was I had a training schedule, and it helped me keep on track, you can find one by Googling Hal Higdon's half marathon training.
    best of luck, have fun!
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! this is going to give me a boost for sure.