What do you consider "Clean Eating" ?

Options

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    To me it means foods that have been washed and haven't been on the floor for more than five seconds.

Heeeyyyy some of my best meals have been floor food. :p
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Thank you for a great introduction to this thread. I've been on MFP since October and though I was eating healthy I've been slipping back into old habits (as long as it fits in my calories, it's pretty much acceptable.) I have new goals now though. I've lost the nearly 30 pounds I want gone, although I'd like to see some fat come off for a loss of about another 5-10 pounds. I am aiming for some serious muscle definition now. I've just started BodyRock TV workouts (AWESOME- bodyrock.tv) and I now realize the importance of a "clean" diet. So for me, starting today, my clean diet will be defined as eating as many fresh foods as possible (fruits, veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs), and stay away from processed foods as much as possible (with the exception of some protein bars here and there). I am especially being conscious about complex vs simple carbs. I've stocked up on sweet potatoes and I'm going to try a variety of recipes since they're complex carbs and are even considered a "superfood" (http://www.livestrong.com/article/45305-superfood/). However, clean eating, to me, means doing your best to have a natural, healthy diet. No one is perfect and in this day and age it is extremely difficult to avoid ALL processed things. I will be happy to keep about 80% of my diet clean, at least. Also, in my mind, clean eating stresses the importance of water too. I've just bought a 75 ounce water jug and am having great success drinking at least one per day, which is 9 cups right there! :drinker:
  • RistinaWin
    RistinaWin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I recently had a scare with potential breast cancer, so I was looking into clean eating and have been trying my best to follow it. Organic, fresh fruits and veggies and organic meats. As for processed foods, one rule of thumb I learned in all my reading is that is should have no more than 5 ingredients in it and they should all be pronounceable. I stick to that probably 80% of the time. If I do choose a product that has more than 5 ingredients, they are usually a multitude of fruits and veggies, no added crap.

Loving this topic, love seeing so many people working towards clean eating. Yay for everyone :bigsmile:
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Ideally if I can recognize all the ingredients or don't need to read them.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    "Clean" means "minimal processing" to me.

"Dirty" items generally include items whose calorie load is way out of balance and/or contain little to no nutrition to justify their use in any quantity:
    - Most canned items unless I've canned them myself - too much sodium and preservative, items have usually been cooked too much to retain much benefit, etc.
    - Deep-Fried anything (stir-fry is OK).
    - Froot (my nickname for heavily-processed fruits like sugar-added applesauce, "fruit juice" that contains very small amounts of actual fruit, and pretty much anything that uses the "contains fruit" label in a desperate attempt to appear healthy when it's really empty calories).
    - Junk foods like chips, buttered popcorn, candy, or pretty much anything whose preparation involves deep frying, lots of sugar or salt, bleaching, etc.
    - Artificial sweeteners.
    - Breakfast cereals with a sweetener of any kind as one of the first 5 ingredients.
    - White flour or sugar

There are plenty of examples of this. Things that are so calorically inefficient in terms of nutrition that they are best avoided unless you have plenty of extra calories to waste, and let's face it - most of us don't.

That does not mean I never use "dirty" items. I just enjoy them in very strict moderation and make sure I work my nutrients into the calories remaining to me.

If I fall off the wagon one day and gorge myself on a dirty food, I will NOT skip required nutritious items to stay in my calorie deficit - I'll exceed the deficit and take the hit on my weight loss goal. The machine must be fed good food, no matter what.
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If they didn't have it 100 years ago....it's clean!
    ^ This.

Anything that is not processed, including full fat dairy, home made breads, real butter, fresh eggs, free range chicken, grass fed beef, lots of fruits and veggies. No cereal.

The book "Nourishing Traditions" defines it for me. My great grandmother lived to 94 eating this way. For me though, the challenge is to eat smaller quantities and exercise enough to offset full-fat foods.
  • nurserae7
    nurserae7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!
  • jameehardey
    jameehardey Posts: 32
    Options
    -unprocessed junk
    -stuff my grandys would know!
    if its from a plant not made on one
    all natural ingrediants i can pronounce
    and usually less than 3-5 ingrediants!
  • nurserae7
    nurserae7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me is when I'm done I don't have to change my shirt. :laugh: If they didn't have it 100 years ago....it's clean!

I agree!!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    If it used to have a pulse or grew straight out of the ground then I consider it clean. If you had to "do" something else to it to get it to be an ingredient instead of an end product then it's processed. That includes pasta of any kind.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Great Responses so far... Thank you for keeping it "On Topic" as well...

Thanks Everyone!

(((Knowledge is Power, Power is Success... Gain Knowledge and you will have the power for Success!)))
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    A need to see a disease-free recent STD test.

Haha my favorite answer so far!
  • AmyB_1992
    AmyB_1992 Posts: 32
    Options
    For me it's eating 250 calories or under in each meal and having up to 3 snacks under 100 calories each.

that has nothing to do with clean eating. I call that starving.

That's about 900 calories, I call it healthy eating, especially considering my daily calorie goal is 1,200

Being that you're only 19 years old you should be eating about twice that. Healthy eating is ensuring your body has enough nutrition and energy to carry out it's vital functions, not restricting yourself heavily.

I'll up my calories once I lose enough weight.

And you will gain back most of the weight because you put your body into starvation mode, causing it to eat your muscle instead of fat and lower your metabolism.

What you need to understand is that you should not eat below your BMR. Those calories are needed to keep your body running. Think of them as the baseline or the minimum needed to survive. Anything above that is icing and you don't need it, but it is nice to have.

If your metabolism is depressed, which is what you are doing by starving yourself, it may not come back. Then you will not be able to eat more than what you are eating now without gaining weight. You are basically setting yourself up for yo-yo dieting. If you want more info, message me.

I know, but mfp says I should eat up to 1,200 calories a day to lose weight so 1,200 calories a day I shall eat.
  • SnowWhite824
    SnowWhite824 Posts: 210
    Options
    Ok, I have a question. I roasted some shrimp with a little EVOO, salt and pepper. Is that concidered "clean"? What about packaged sun dried tomatoes? Don't know if I could make those myself!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a question. I roasted some shrimp with a little EVOO, salt and pepper. Is that concidered "clean"? What about packaged sun dried tomatoes? Don't know if I could make those myself!

to me yes...adding good fats and seasonings is great...things like sun dried tomatoes, check the package and see if it has any type of preservative

there are different variations - but I would consider what you describe as clean...
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    To me it is eating foods that are close to nature. If it is in a box I look to see what the ingredients are, if it is natural, then it's ok.
  • SnowWhite824
    SnowWhite824 Posts: 210
    Options

to me yes...adding good fats and seasonings is great...things like sun dried tomatoes, check the package and see if it has any type of preservative

there are different variations - but I would consider what you describe as clean...

The sun dried tomatoes have sulfates in it - its says its put in there to retain the color. Don't know much about sulfates..... I'm guessing that the tomatoes would turn brown otherwise.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options

The sun dried tomatoes have sulfates in it - its says its put in there to retain the color. Don't know much about sulfates..... I'm guessing that the tomatoes would turn brown otherwise.

sulfates is a preservative that can cause GI track issues. I would look for another brand of sun dried tomatoes.
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I say I'm "eating clean" I have to follow these rules. No oil, no dairy, fat free soy milk is ok, wheetbix are ok, light tuna in water is ok, vegetables are ok as long as they're steamed, no sugar, no carbohydrates except wheetbix, no bananas, no sauces that are oil basssed, no potatoes, no meat except light tuna, no nuts, no sweet potato and definately no processed food. Although I'll admit I do not think this is by any means the definition of clean eating.

why do you hate food so much? :)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I think the people who say "Any food around in my grandmother's day" have no idea how long the American diet has included huge amounts of processed foods. Either that or they are really really old.