How long for the last 20 lbs?

Options
Hi All,

I have noticed that the last 20 lbs has been really difficult to drop. My weight loss has slowed significantly but not stopped entirely.

How long did it take those of you who are at a healthy BMI to drop the last 20 lbs? What kind of expectation should I have for losses?

I'm seeing about 0.5 loss per week average. My losses were close to 1-2 lbs per week for the first 30 lbs.

P.S. I'm not quitting, just curious.

Replies

• ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am noticing the same for the last 15 lbs that I have to lose.
    Used to be losing more than 2lbs/week.
    No matter, even if I lose at 0.5lb/week average, I am ok :-)
  • tori_grr
    tori_grr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite to my last 20 but close, I heard that taking cold showers can help with the last stubborn lbs you have to lose. Oh and drink lots of water ice cold water :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    cold water?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm probably at about the same point, with just under 20%bf. I noticed it is taking a lot longer for weight to shift now than it did in the beginning - with my diet and exercise pretty much the same.

So I can keep mixing things up I've decided to focus on the weights for a while, and only eat at about 500 cals under maintenance for a while. I dont expect my weight to drop, but it will be interesting to see if there is much change in composition and if I'm still going to get some 'noob' gains with a more regimented weights program.

You know you'll get regular updates of my progress though :)
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    same here, the last 10 are coming off sooooo slowly... I finally seen a 1/2 lb difference this morning , which is the first time I have seen it that low so dang right I recorded it.. I find it a little amusing though that every time I slack on my workout and cheat on my foods, I lose a little. But when I stick to being strict on everything, I stay the same. errrr
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I didn't get stuck until I was two pounds away from my goal--meaning, I lost weight consistently over a five month period of time. However, I kinda went into this with the mindset that I wasn't dieting; rather, this was my new lifestyle and it didn't really matter how long it took for the weight to come off, because this is the way I would be eating forever. Yes, I was restricting calories somewhat, but I wasn't starving. I knew I'd get there eventually if I was diligent. It took me a month to drop the two pounds to reach my goal, and the funny thing is, as soon as I started eating at maintenance for my goal weight, I dropped another 1 1/2 pounds in a little over a week. Seems like sometimes when I don't try as hard, I have better results. And no, I do not believe in starvation mode, per se. I can't explain why it happens sometimes. I guess it's a little like waiting for a pot to boil.

A half a pound a week is really a very respectable loss when you get close to your goal. Yes, it is frustratingly slow when you have your eye on a number, but it might make you feel better to focus less on the scale and more on body measurements and the way your clothes fit. I noticed changes there before the numbers on the scale changed more often than not.

Just keep trudging forward. Eventually, you WILL arrive!
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm now at that 20lb-remaining point as well, but I'm not going to stress out about it.

The weight didn't come on overnight.....it's not going to come off overnight either. I'll just keep plugging away.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    A half a pound a week is really a very respectable loss when you get close to your goal. Yes, it is frustratingly slow when you have your eye on a number, but it might make you feel better to focus less on the scale and more on body measurements and the way your clothes fit. I noticed changes there before the numbers on the scale changed more often than not.

[/quote]

I agree, I have not been getting on the scale, but did this morning for heck of it and bam it was down. I do measurements weekly. and down 4 sizes in a few short months. So you are right I should be thankful for that 1/2 lb and I am , I just find it funny when I "don't care so much" is when it happens :) thanks for the reminder
  • purprincess33
    purprincess33 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Im at the same point..I dropped 37lbs since January, and now stuck on my last 20lbs....i was the same dropping anywhere from 1-3lbs a week...now im lucky if i drop .05-1lb...im taken all suggestions..but i think the key at this point is exercise. Im way under my calorie goal every night..and I feel like fitness pal yells at me for it. Telling me im not eating enough..But I eat all day..I choose to eat light all day. Thankful im not gaining..but not losing as fast as I was..IM taken all suggestions at this point.
  • Julietecosse
    Julietecosse Posts: 165
    Options
    I didn't get stuck until I was two pounds away from my goal--meaning, I lost weight consistently over a five month period of time. However, I kinda went into this with the mindset that I wasn't dieting; rather, this was my new lifestyle and it didn't really matter how long it took for the weight to come off, because this is the way I would be eating forever. Yes, I was restricting calories somewhat, but I wasn't starving. I knew I'd get there eventually if I was diligent. It took me a month to drop the two pounds to reach my goal, and the funny thing is, as soon as I started eating at maintenance for my goal weight, I dropped another 1 1/2 pounds in a little over a week. Seems like sometimes when I don't try as hard, I have better results. And no, I do not believe in starvation mode, per se. I can't explain why it happens sometimes. I guess it's a little like waiting for a pot to boil.

Very encouraging. Thanks.

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Im at the same point..I dropped 37lbs since January, and now stuck on my last 20lbs....i was the same dropping anywhere from 1-3lbs a week...now im lucky if i drop .05-1lb...im taken all suggestions..but i think the key at this point is exercise. Im way under my calorie goal every night..and I feel like fitness pal yells at me for it. Telling me im not eating enough..But I eat all day..I choose to eat light all day. Thankful im not gaining..but not losing as fast as I was..IM taken all suggestions at this point.

I hit a plateau about two months ago, and the only thing that got me out of it was eating more and exercising more. Being way under your calorie goal can actually be a bad thing.
  • librarybook
    Options
    Way to go for getting to the last 20!! Don't worry, it will take you time. Just enjoy how far you have come, and remind yourself you are fabulous where you are, and when you finally reach that goal you'll have even more reason to celebrate. Don't stress, that can set you up for failure. Do something good for yourself.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Way to go for getting to the last 20!! Don't worry, it will take you time. Just enjoy how far you have come, and remind yourself you are fabulous where you are, and when you finally reach that goal you'll have even more reason to celebrate. Don't stress, that can set you up for failure. Do something good for yourself.

Thank you sweetie!

And thank you to those who commented. It is very helpful to know it's not just me. LOL