Insanity vs 30 Day Shred

Options
Sorry if this is a repeat topic. What are your thoughts on this? I am leaning toward 30DS, mainly because I love Jillian, but I wanted to see what everyone thinks. I am looking to shape my midsection which has been in horrible shape since I had my son (10 years ago, so no excuses there other than laziness). I don't need perfect abs, I just don't want a huge fat roll over my pants.

Note: I am in horrific shape.

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    UUUMM---for greater adherence then 30 DS because its easier. Insanity will get you better results.
  • myhusbandletsme
    myhusbandletsme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am going to start with 30DS and then more up to Insanity - I think it will work better for me as it seems less intense for starters and last only 1 month. Just seems more do-able to me...
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am going to start with 30DS and then more up to Insanity - I think it will work better for me as it seems less intense for starters and last only 1 month. Just seems more do-able to me...

That's a great plan, I think I am going to do that. It makes more sense to start slow, if you consider 30DS slow, which I do not!

Thanks to you both for the advice :)
  • tshields27
    tshields27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love Insanity more for the total body change, and I feel like i'm in the best shape of my life, even though i'm dead tired at times, but loving my results
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of 30DS because the workouts get monotonous VERY quickly and it's more about changing your body in ways that are purely visual/aesthetic rather than functional. Insanity is legitimate athletic training which will push your functional performance levels far beyond anything in any Jillian program. No offense to Jillian fans out there, just her programs are geared specifically toward people who only care about results they can see in the mirror, not results that show themselves functionally in applications of strength, speed, power, and athleticism. You can't even compare the two programs. It's about functional athletic training versus "toning up and fat loss." Too different to be compared...
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    They're not comparable. Insanity is more of an investment than Shred, in every possible way. Their goals are also very different. You will likely get good results from Shred, better results from Insanity if you can stick with it.
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of 30DS because the workouts get monotonous VERY quickly and it's more about changing your body in ways that are purely visual/aesthetic rather than functional. Insanity is legitimate athletic training which will push your functional performance levels far beyond anything in any Jillian program. No offense to Jillian fans out there, just her programs are geared specifically toward people who only care about results they can see in the mirror, not results that show themselves functionally in applications of strength, speed, power, and athleticism. You can't even compare the two programs. It's about functional athletic training versus "toning up and fat loss." Too different to be compared...

Very good point. Maybe I have the wrong mentality, but I am kind of just looking for results in the mirror. I have no interest in being athletic. I may change that mentality once done with 30DS I may like what I see so much I continue with Insanity. And you're right. Jillian sold out when she started marketing diet pills, while preaching health and exercise. It has to be one or the other. That being said, her video produces results and I will see what happens :)
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into Turbofire at all? I did all of Jillian Michaels DVDs but got really bored and although I toned up, I only lost about 8 pounds over three months. I tried Turbofire and lost 20 lbs in the same amount of time. My abs and arms are super toned now too, which was a nice surprise! The moves are a bit confusing at first, but once you get them it is a lot of fun and offers a lot of variety with all the different types of workouts. If you are more into dance/kickboxing/aerobics (and strength training thrown in a few times a week) it might appeal more to you. Just a thought.

I just started Insanity and it is tough and very athletic. Reminds me of my track and field days! I think I will alternate between Turbofire, Insanity, and Jillian. I am not sure I can do Insanity all out every day. It is super intense.

Good luck!