Kettlebells?

Options
Hello all, just a question on kettlebells. I currently use kettlebells 4-5 nights a week and was wondering what are they actually classified as exercise wise? Just need to know in order to properly update my exercise tab. Thanks for any info!

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Honestly anything that is not my daily routine exercise wise I always wear my HRM to account for calories burned. I think that is the best way. JMO
  • Shoshannah68
    Options
    If they don't show up you could post them as circuit training general. Then add the minutes you worked out with them. Someone else might have a better idea
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sparkpeople.com has it as 20 cals per min. You have to manually enter it into your exercise tab on here.
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast

copy the above link and follow to webmd - it tells you about kettle balls and the cal they burn.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Valid question, this. First time I tried kettlebells, I thought I was having a heart attack because my pulse rocketed. I just thought they were a weight workout, rather than cardio - but frankly they seem to sit right in the middle for me. Susansmyser's suggestion of circuit training seems to be a reasonable middle ground.

Bluddy love kettlebells.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Does your HR go up when you use them? Mine does. Therefore I log it as cardio to account for calories burned, and if I'm gaining some muscle tone at the same time, well.. bonus!! I sweat and shake after about 15 minutes (found some youtube routines)....And you are doing this 4-5 time a week?? Good on ya!!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,927 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Definitely list it as circuit training, though the calorie count may be low depending on your intensity. As a side note for people who don't really use them, kettlebells=awesome. I feel so strong when I use them. On the other hand, be careful of your shoulders with some moves if you have messed up/weak ones. I have hyperflexible shoulders, so it can be problematic sometimes. Other than that, they are an amazing workout--cardio, strength training, endurance, all in one. Tip: Don't turn to the Jillian Michaels DVD about them. She has bad form. Unless you know correct form, in which case you can correct hers.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I list it under cardio/circuit training.
  • Ensiferum84
    Options
    Awesome, thank you all for the info. HR does fly with the KB routine & have found more strength from them when doing body weight exercises too. Do you all know if 30 min is acceptable with this or less? I have seen 10 minute workouts online and yes it burns but I never think that it is enough..