frustrated

Options
Ok, I need to vent. :explode: When I first started working out I set the treadmill to my weight [131 lbs] so I could get an accurate reading of my calorie burn. I was doing 700-800 calorie workouts (about 80 minutes) and everything seemed to be going alright. Recently I've been doing 1,000-1020 calorie workouts. I started to feel really good about myself that I was working that hard & able to burn that many calroies without having to strain much more than before. I guess I am just ignorant but I actually thought I was just gaining muscle and the workouts were burning more calories. I am not sure when it happened or if someone else was playing with the treadmill but yesterday I mentioned this to Greg [my fiance] and he said "are you sure its set to your weight?" and I just shrugged it off & was like "well, yeh..." I just finished doing a workout & the treadmill is set for someone who is 177 lbs. I am soo upset!!! I feel like I've been lying to myself & didn't even know it. I was sooo proud of myself & felt attractive when I got off the treadmill & it said I had burned 1,000+ calories. Now, I don't want to set it back to that weight b/c I know I'll only see 700 calories burned & for some reason that doesn't make me feel accomplished-- even though I know that the 1,000+ calorie burn is a lie. :ohwell:

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you're burning 700 calories in a workout, that's something to be proud of. Crazy proud actually.
  • lizzyksm
    Options
    Girl! I'm proud when I burn 300! Shoot. You should be having a party! :-)
    Don't get frustrated because of some silly number. At the end of the day you are working out and your body is thankful for it. Any form of exercise combined with healthy eating will work.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I only burn about 200 calories when I work out. 700 Calories is a lot to me! I think you are doing good!
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You should be proud, that is still a lot of calories to be burned!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    when you get frustrated.... just think of how you USED to be... sitting on the couch flipping channels... not burning ANY calories (or is that just me...?)
  • SpazyK
    SpazyK Posts: 17
    Options
    My suggestion - get back on the treadmill tonight and set it for your weight. Try to burn the 1,000 calories - if you can't do it tonight then make it your goal to accomplish it!!! 1,000 is a crazy amount to loose during a workout, but at least you'll be able to say you did it and KNOW it's true :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    <<SNIP>>
    I was sooo proud of myself & felt attractive when I got off the treadmill & it said I had burned 1,000+ calories.
    <<SNIP>>

You had every right to be proud and you still do. And you're very attractive. And you're being silly :happy:

So get on that mill and do 750,,, and work your way up to the 1000 - but for real this time. Or get some dumbbells and add a little weight. Or take a step class,,, there's tons'a stuff to do, and you're doing just super. :smile:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Ok, I need to vent. :explode: When I first started working out I set the treadmill to my weight [131 lbs] so I could get an accurate reading of my calorie burn. I was doing 700-800 calorie workouts (about 80 minutes) and everything seemed to be going alright. Recently I've been doing 1,000-1020 calorie workouts. I started to feel really good about myself that I was working that hard & able to burn that many calroies without having to strain much more than before. I guess I am just ignorant but I actually thought I was just gaining muscle and the workouts were burning more calories. I am not sure when it happened or if someone else was playing with the treadmill but yesterday I mentioned this to Greg [my fiance] and he said "are you sure its set to your weight?" and I just shrugged it off & was like "well, yeh..." I just finished doing a workout & the treadmill is set for someone who is 177 lbs. I am soo upset!!! I feel like I've been lying to myself & didn't even know it. I was sooo proud of myself & felt attractive when I got off the treadmill & it said I had burned 1,000+ calories. Now, I don't want to set it back to that weight b/c I know I'll only see 700 calories burned & for some reason that doesn't make me feel accomplished-- even though I know that the 1,000+ calorie burn is a lie. :ohwell:

Casper is right...

Plus you lost 11 pounds already, so you're doing something right.
  • kbglazier
    kbglazier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's everything I can do to burn 200 calories during cardio without passing out, so girl, if you are burning 700 calories you should have a parade in your honor.

My fat hat is off to you, and keep up the good work.