When I was a kid...

Options
GasMasterFlash
GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
...the term "binge", when it related to food, referred to disordered eating. It referred to episodes of uncontrollable eating.

Now, on MFP, it means eating more than one's allotted calories one day, or eating (gasp) a hamburger. What the **** happened?

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hamburger is ok cause there are no carbs....It's the bun that makes it a binge. Evil carbs.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    People like drama. I don't know what bullying is supposed to mean anymore, either. Or being rude.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hamburger is ok cause there are no carbs....It's the bun that makes it a binge. Evil carbs.

'scuse me -- that ONLY applies if the bun is eaten after 8pm...
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    It's funny that you mention it...
    As a foreigner, I never learned that word in English classes. Later on, when I was in th US, I'm pretty sure I've never heard that word for the whole year I lived there.

I don't see many people saying "binge" outside of MFP.

Now... Did you say hamburger? *want*
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    People like drama. I don't know what bullying is supposed to mean anymore, either. Or being rude.
    On MFP, "bullying" = "expressing an opposing viewpoint".
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    People like drama.

The media has taken a lot of words and made them meaningless....there is nothing that is just boring and average anymore...it is all a major crisis.

snowstorm= snow-pocalypse
    winning anything by more than 2 points= slaughter
    eating more calories=binge

and when I was a kid, there was no such thing as a food binge. Binges referred 100% to alcohol
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    It's funny that you mention it...
    As a foreigner, I never learned that word in English classes. Later on, when I was in th US, I'm pretty sure I've never heard that word for the whole year I lived there.
    Yeah, outside of MFP, it's related to disordered eating. Here, though, it's used in place of "overeating" or "overindulging".
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Bigmomma0u812 Posts: 118
    Options
    I can't help but think this reminds me of a movie I watched as a teen. It was Clueless with Alicia Silverstone. I remember one scene where she talks about how she felt like a cow because of all she had eaten that day and it was not cow or binge worthy. Sometimes I think that's how people on here act. It's funny, but to each their own. We're all on a similar mission just going about it in different fashions.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this last night as I ate jellybeans uncontrollably, having no REAL idea how many I ate..when I binge it's on jellybeans but it's a binge because I don't count how many I gobble but it's at least half a pound sometimes
  • alh228
    alh228 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    8 hamburgers = binge

1 hamburger = delicious
  • Insangelous
    Insangelous Posts: 33
    Options
    I still use the term binge for ed's. Sorry, but I don't see eating a bit over something like 1200 as a binge. A binge is more than just... eating a bit more than you should. It's not being able to stop, it's killing your emotions with food on such an unhealthy basis - more than just on a physical basis, but also super unhealthy for ones mind because of the reason. I don't use binge unless it's an actual binge.
  • Insangelous
    Insangelous Posts: 33
    Options
    8 hamburgers = binge

1 hamburger = delicious

Exactly. It's more than just a bit.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    I was thinking about this last night as I ate jellybeans uncontrollably, having no REAL idea how many I ate..when I binge it's on jellybeans but it's a binge because I don't count how many I gobble but it's at least half a pound sometimes
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. That is not a "binge". It may be "indulging", but it is not "binging".
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    People love to be dramatic. We use extreme words for mundane things, and then we can't express ourselves properly when we actually need the extreme words. It's not enough to say that you like to be neat, you have to be "OCD". You can't say you have a short attention span, you have ADHD. You don't just dislike mushrooms, you're allergic to them. Then people who actually have those conditions don't get taken seriously.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Uncontrollably, or uncontrolled? There's a big difference. If you just chose to eat a lot of jellybeans without counting them, that's different than binging.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a binge even if I clear 3000 calories; it's just a high calorie day, meh, those happen.

However if more than a third of that 3000 comes from alcohol, then yes it's a "binge."
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*
    I don't know what other people use it for, but I don't use it at all.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is a disorder. Binge eating occurs in bulima nervosa, and is a cycle where people cannot control their eating and go crazy on food. It is not just eating "too much", its going to burger king, wendys, taco bell, hardees, dunkin donuts, mcdonalds and then pizza hut in one day.

Yeah, people are dramatic, such is life.

Someone mentioned clueless, and it really shows you the messages we send women and YOUNG girls about food and body image. There used to be a show that Mary Kate and Ashey Olsen did that was on ABC family or something, called so little time. The gorgeous supermodel on that show used to smell cheeseburgers and starve herself....

YAY America.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    When-I-Was-A-Kid..jpg