I'm new and stuck in a rut!

Options
Hi, I am new to this....and really need some motivation. I have been trying for a long time to lose the weight I need to. I swear the word DIET means eat..lol I think in the run of a day I think more about food than anything else...Please some advice would help.:smile:

Replies

• spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I find that once I adjusted my eating a lot of my cravings were reduced and when I do eat the foods I used to love they almost taste gross and unsatisfying.

Dieting is just as much of a mental battle as it is what you eat.

My suggestion is if you are really motivated right now then go at it hard (but reasonable). Establish new habits and results and that can help sustain you.

Nobody ever said it is going to be easy but it is far from impossible.

The biggest change for me came when I changed my mind. Do that and the rest will follow.

Good luck
  • librarybook
    Options
    You've got to start somewhere, why not today & where you are?! Get a journal, pray, call in friend support, and think about why you are doing what you are doing. Best wishes!!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The diary here, for food and exercise helps so much. The friend support does as well. Start today, own it, own the goals you want long term. Also make short term goals and treat yourself to healthy things when you hit those mini goals.
  • Candacesaulnier
    Options
    When I am hungy I make my self drink a big glass of water first & then wait 20 mins. If I am still looking for something to eat after that then I will find something. I dont buy junk food anymore so its not in the house to tempt me.

Frozen grapes are my new fave treat but water will fill you up better than you think :)
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When I am hungy I make my self drink a big glass of water first & then wait 20 mins. If I am still looking for something to eat after that then I will find something. I dont buy junk food anymore so its not in the house to tempt me.

This is great advice - I used to think I was hungry ALL the time. Now I try to drink more water first thing in the morning after my workouts and I'm less hungry. I also try to finish a full glass of water with each meal (i.e.: finish eating and drinking the water at roughly the same time). This makes me eat more slowly so that I feel full.

Anyway - the diary on MFP is great and the support/accountability from the friends on here is outstanding. It has helped me tremendously. I am a huge foodie so now I just budget it in. If I know that I am going out to eat with friends I will try to work out more that week so that I have some extra calories to put towards my indulgences :)