I ran for the first time on a treadmill yesterday!

Options
Nickuki
Nickuki Posts: 15 Member
Ok I know it seems like no big deal and people do this all the time… I however have never been able to. Over the years I’ve joined gyms on and off (I move a lot) and I’ve just never been able to do it.

I suffer from anxiety and I tend to over-think and over-worry about… everything. So all I could picture was me tripping, falling and all-round making a fool out of myself.

Yesterday I decided I was going to try, if other people can do it why can’t I?

It took a good 30 minutes of building myself up to a speed I could jog at and then a little more to start running. I pulled the stop cord out so many times by mistake and I had to steady myself often… but I did it! And then I almost puked… I think however that was more the nerves getting to me, and I kept going!

I ran for 1 1/2 minutes then walked for a few minutes till my heart-rate went down (and I’d stopped shaking lol) then repeated for about 30 minutes. It was amazing!

So why did I decided to post about it… well in case there’s anyone else who is like the me of Monday and scared to try. If I can do it… so can you! Don’t let the fear hold you back, start slow, make mistakes, look a bit silly but you will get there!

Granted I didn’t run really fast and I wobbled a lot, but I did it! I’m hoping to improve over the next two months (when my membership runs out!).

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was also really scared of running on the treadmill at first (I was afraid I was going to misstep and go flying off) and it took some time to get used to it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i am thinking of getting one,, been looking around,,, i wonder if i am going to like it or not!
  • April4th
    April4th Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I kinda did the same thing for the first time yesterday--except mine was much more a jog. I did 40 minutes on the ArcTrainer first then was only going to do a 10 minute walk on the treadmill. But twice during that walk, I turned up the speed and jogged for about 1 minute each time. Not terribly impressive, I know. But something different.
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    Good job! You have to start somewhere and if you never did that before, then you are off to a good start. Keep it up!
    Feel free to add me if you like!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It's a huge deal. As a very beginning runner myself, I know what feat it is to run that first mile, EVER. I always joked when I started that before that I'd only run away from wild animals and to food. Now I run for fun. I'm not sure which is better!

Keep up the great work!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking that first step....

"Do one thing every day that scares you."
    Eleanor Roosevelt
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am very much like the you of Monday! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the treadmill may be secretly plotting my death, lying in wait until I up the speed... It's not time yet for me, but thank you for posting your tale of survival!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Brilliant and well done!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    It took me a lot of courage to run on the treadmill at the gym. Even more to start working in the weight room. And a good bit to feel comfortable on the track. I'm used to it all now, and consider it to be my second home, but it is really scary.
    Good for you for finding the courage. Pretty soon, it will feel natural, and if anyone looks at you, instead of wondering what you are doing wrong, you'll just assume you have a boogie ;)
  • Nickuki
    Nickuki Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am honestly so stupidly proud of myself! I can't wait till tomorrow so I can do it some more!
    I am very much like the you of Monday! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the treadmill may be secretly plotting my death, lying in wait until I up the speed... It's not time yet for me, but thank you for posting your tale of survival!

Lol! Hopefully I've shown it whose boss and it won't be giving me any more trouble. I hope when you decide you are ready to do it you love it as much as I did (without the almost puking part though...). Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time to work your way up. Test the stop buttons so you know what it feels like if you need to hit it. Try jumping your feet off to the sides too. That's what I did, made sure I was 100% comfortable with all of the ways to stop as quickly as I could. The little safety cord made me feel better too lol.
  • simbatabby
    simbatabby Posts: 35
    Options
    Well done!!!

Im way too scared to run on a treadmill, like you for fear of falling etc... I have tried but fear just took over all I do now is fast walk! lol
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    WTG!

We can all be our own worst enemies!

Congrats on overcoming your fear & hesitation!

Keep up the good work.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! Thanks for posting - not everyone understands anxiety - it can truly be overwhelming! Thanks for helping to assure us all that we can do things out of our comfort zone!
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Great Work!!! and way to push yourself. You would be amazed at what you can do when you put your mind to it :) Keep working at it and you will be running for 30 mins. straight in no time. I remember the day I ran my first mile without stopping I did puke, but the exhilaration was so worth it.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I think its an easier way to start, for me at least. Hope you keep it up!
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and great post. Hopefully you encourage some others. I run on the treadmill but not as much as I could or should!
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to only run on a treadmill... one Sunday night I went to the gym and ran and after 1 mile, I had to go to the bathroom, so I paused my mill and went. I came back changing the song on my ipod and somehow the machine turned back on. I didn't notice, so when I stepped on it, my foot flung back and I tried to catch my footing with my other foot on the moving treadmill, which catapoulted me off the back and I hit my arm on the handles on the sides, my knee on the end of the mill, and ultimately flung myself into the elliptical machine behind me. It was the most bizzare experience ever and I was so beat up afterward. People around me were very concerned and I was determined that I could continue running, until I looked at the bruise on my shin and the strawberry on my other knee. I just sucked it up and went home not stepping on a treadmill again for 3-4 weeks. Now, I only run on the treadmill if it is going to lightning or if it is going to snow. It was a terrible experience, but it doesn't happen to everyone. Good luck!