Changing today for a better tomorrow

Options
Greetings Everyone, I'm Brandy and I'm pretty new to Myfitnesspals and thought that it was time I introduce myself properly lol. I'm a 27 year old switchboard operator and I'm 300lbs. I have always had issues with my body weight even as a child, though in truth it wasn't really an issue then but growing up with a family of very petite women, even when I was healthy I looked overweight. At the age of eleven my cousin and aunt got it in their heads I was overweight and needed to diet, so they would force me to eat nothing but salads, would buy too small of clothes telling me to loose into them, and would force me into excercising that I wasn't ready for. Due to that I've always had an issue with dieting and excersing, every time I would try I would feel that worthlessness come over me again and I'd get discouraged rather then motivated. I also felt safe in my weight because of sexual abuse I suffered as a child and into my teen years. I used it as a sheild and it worked unfortunately it worked too well. Now that I'm older and have dealt with the issues of my younger years i'm ready to find that special someone but now that shield that I had used is now keeping me from finding that happiness. I don't know how many times i've been told "oh you'd make a wonderful girlfriend...if only you were prettier." Each time has left a scar on my heart that has been almost impossible to heal from. But now, at the age of 27 I've realized that I'm tired of being the odd one out, tired of not being able to enjoy life to the fullest. I want people to see the me thats inside, on the outside. I'm finally ready for this change and the great thing is that for the first time in my life, I'm not doing it for anyone other than myself. I joined a gym with my best friend and have gone almost every day the last two weeks spending 2 1/2 hours there working on cardio and strength training and I though I haven't seen any results physically, mentally and emotionally I feel healthier already then I have in years!

Replies

• reppinplates
    reppinplates Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sad story, I am glad you have decided to make a lifestyle change.

Weight management is 90% nutrition. I can't stress enough hitting your calorie goal and macro's if you want to see progress.
    Work your way up slowly on the strength and cardio. 2 1/2 hours seems a bit overkill. Gradually work your way up.

I have seen numerous cases of people starting out training way too often/hard and they burn out and progress comes to a halt. Keeping this in mind I am not telling you to slack off! but moderation is key.

If you need any help or tips on training or nutrition just send me a message.

Wishing you luck on your future goals.
  • BrandyLRose
    Options
    Thanks so much for the kind support. As to overkilling actually its honestly not that bad, I do 30 minutes on the elliptical for cardio then in the strength training one day I'll work on the lower half of the body then the next I go to upper body, usually about 7 machines but with 3 sets of 15 reps each with a mixture of weights, but nothing that causes too much strain and then after that its the toning machines so really its not as bad as it sounds lol. But I do thank you for the advice !! it's so nice to have people actually support you for the right reasons lol.
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your past, but very glad to hear you are read to take your life into your own hands!

Always remember why you are doing this, and that this is a lifestyle change, not just a means to an end. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    best of luck to you in your journey.....you have started and that is the key....make a schedule for your workouts - keep those appts with yourself - you are that important....plan out your menus as best you can and stick with it...you will see things happen very soon and i hope that the "high" of seeing a loss keeps you motivated to stay the course....i highly recommend get a strong group of supporters on here...that was the thing that made the difference for me....i used the iphone app for about 4 months before coming to the website and then i found the wonderful group of people who push me and support me daily.....good luck to you and please feel free to friend request me if you want more support....denise
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Brandy,

You are beautiful NOW, people need to get over themselves and see you for who you truly are. I am very proud of you walking through the turmoil you called a previous life and coming to this one. And still being hopeful and positive for a happy tomorrow, yesterday is gone, it’s over and we can’t change it no matter how hard we try. However you can use every tear and moment of anger to make you stronger today. Having been a very overweight child my whole life, sexually and physically abused most of my pre-pubescent years, I know where and what you are feeling. Don’t let those people win, you Are strong, you Are beautiful, you DO deserve to be happy. The one thing that I regret that I didn’t do when I was young, and still struggle with today, is not asking for help, even just a support net for the days when I would fail and fall to the ground. You need to swallow your pride and ask another (many others) to come along side you to be there when things are good, but also for when you miss the trapeze and fall to the ground. They will be your safety net. MFP, if you have not noticed yet, is AMAZING at this. The days that I don’t log, don’t work out and am not seen for a while, I have 3-4 amazing people on here that take notice and contact me, pick me up and bring me back. They don’t judge, they just love. I am proud of you Brandy, you’ve got this…

Leslye
  • IBetterShapeUp
    Options
    Hi Brandy, Welcome and best of luck with myfitnesspal. I find that tracking everything you put in your mouth definitely make you more aware and will make a huge difference. Make your goals small and all those small things add up to huge progress. One day, one week, one month. Losing weight and life style change is a mindset. Once you are determined, things happen. Best of luck.
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi Brandy! I'm so glad that you've faced those past issues and your working your way healthy! That's a HUGE victory right there!!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some more support and encouragement. You can do this!
  • BrandyLRose
    Options
    I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone that has offered their support and well wishes and kind words. It feels so overwhelming to find so many people who know so little about me willing to step up and offer their advice and friendship. It's strange that all your life you can feel so alone but in reality there are so many that might not know everything that your going through, but understand the emotions, the highs and lows. who really do know what it's like. Thank you guys so much for reminding me of that.