difference between brown and white eggs

Options
im starting to eat healthy and i wanted to know which is healther brown or white eggs or is it the same please be so kind give me your thoughts thanks

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    None
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I eat mostly egg whites. There is no difference in the two except price that I have noticed in my own grocery stores.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The only difference is the breed of chicken that laid the egg...there is no nutritional difference...nor is there a "freshness" difference. If your neighbor has a hen that lays brown eggs, then yes, those will be fresher than the white ones at the grocery...but not because of the color, it would be because of the proximity. The neighbor could have a hen that laid white eggs, or red speckled ones...

The taste difference can be found when you are talking about "fresh" eggs...like from the neighbor vice the grocery...there is nothing like poaching an egg that was laid yesterday. Of course you won't get a great hard boiled egg from one that is only a day old.

Ok, I have digressed...the answer to your question is that there is no difference. Can you tell I love eggs? :-)
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Exactly right- it's SOOO funny that they are different prices in some countries!
    The only difference is the breed of chicken that laid the egg...there is no nutritional difference...nor is there a "freshness" difference. If your neighbor has a hen that lays brown eggs, then yes, those will be fresher than the white ones at the grocery...but not because of the color, it would be because of the proximity. The neighbor could have a hen that laid white eggs, or red speckled ones...

The taste difference can be found when you are talking about "fresh" eggs...like from the neighbor vice the grocery...there is nothing like poaching an egg that was laid yesterday. Of course you won't get a great hard boiled egg from one that is only a day old.

Ok, I have digressed...the answer to your question is that there is no difference. Can you tell I love eggs? :-)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My chickens lay brown, beige, white, green and blue eggs. It's just dependent on the bird who laid it. There is no nutritional difference in them based on color. If you want to focus on healthier eggs make sure you buy organic, cage free eggs if possible. Chickens who are allowed to roam around and eat bugs and grass will have a better nutritional profile than those kept in cages and fed commercial chicken food.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    im starting to eat healthy and i wanted to know which is healther brown or white eggs or is it the same please be so kind give me your thoughts thanks

Personally, I don't think there is any difference accept the richness of the yolk. I prefer brown eggs, but I was raised on them.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Even though there is no difference, I have found that brown eggs tend to have more blood spots. But that's probably just my luck...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

^^^this^^^ I have 6 chickens myself ( not old enough to lay yet....) the color of the egg shell is determined by the breed of the chicken--it is all the same inside. I think next year we want to get some "easter eggers" who lay pale blue or another color of egg. Right now we have 3 white egg layers, and 3 brown egg layers...
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    White chickens = white eggs.
    Brown chickens = brown eggs.

my boss has chickens. I prefer getting the eggs fresh from her.. they are sooooo freaking yummy fresh!
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options

^^^this^^^ I have 6 chickens myself ( not old enough to lay yet....) the color of the egg shell is determined by the breed of the chicken--it is all the same inside. I think next year we want to get some "easter eggers" who lay pale blue or another color of egg. Right now we have 3 white egg layers, and 3 brown egg layers...

I want a blue egg...my kid would get a kick out of that...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    We may have to order from a hatchery to get several different colors of layers. I think my kids will LOVE seeing different colors of eggs. I can only imagine how excited they will get when they see the first egg we get, regardless of color ;)
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Yep.. you guys are right... no difference. I also have chickens, one of my Araucana hens even lays a pink colored egg. All the same inside. However, once you start having farm fresh eggs, you will never be able to buy those pale yoked eggs ever again! :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    White chickens = white eggs.
    Brown chickens = brown eggs.

my boss has chickens. I prefer getting the eggs fresh from her.. they are sooooo freaking yummy fresh!

Not true.

There are brown chickens (brown leghorns, etc.) who lay white eggs and white chickens (white orpingtons, white rocks) who lay brown eggs.

Most breeds of chickens come in many colors, and the members of the same breed usually lay the same colored egg. Orpingtons, for example, come in many colors including white, buff (yellow-brown), black, and blue, but all colors will lay the same light-brown eggs.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Ameraucanas are cool -- just be warned if you get them from a standard hatchery they'll usually be mixed-breeds. This is actually more fun in most cases because the chickens you get will lay eggs in many colors including olive, light blue, light brown(almost pink).