Vegetarian Layer Cake - 31g protein/slice!

Options
mollydubs
mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
7245333676_d41e3ded4e.jpg
per slice: 227 calories // 16g carbs // 4g fat // 31g protein // 4g fiber // 7g sugar

I know how tough it can be to get a lot of protein for less than a bajillion carbs when you're a vegetarian so I've been trying to come up with some better veggie entrees. Here's my most recent addition. It's seriously tasty, fun to make, and you can tailor it to your favorite veggies without affecting the nutrition facts too much. (I did, however, pick the veggies I did both for their taste and their nutritional value so the recipe is sooorta optimized as is...if you ask me) Just keep that yummy seitan in there :)

RECIPE: http://quicheaweek.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/veggie-seitan-layer-cake/

Replies

• zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    That looks fantastic! Fellow veggie here and I'm looking at your picture thinking "my family would totally eat that!" I make kind of a sheppards pie with veggie ground that my family just loves.
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    Did you use any kind of a sauce in it, or is it just the juices from the tomato holding everything together?
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Molly...I love your blogs!!! I am tottally going to attempt this or that tex mex quiche this weekend I tell you!!!! Keep up the good cooking and sharing!!
  • mollydubs
    Options
    Zen - The diced canned tomatoes have a lot of juice so that, along with the ricotta and some strategic layering, keeps it all in shape. That at the springform pan is a must. You could also use tomato sauce instead of/in addition to the diced tomatoes but I had half a can of diced tomatoes in my fridge so that baby had to go!

krjack - thanks! let me know how it goes! I'm always curious to see if other people like the stuff I like :)
  • moonchyld62
    moonchyld62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It looks simply scrumpscious! Did I even spell that word right? Didn't know veggies could look so good! Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    your da best!!! thank you!
  • Misskittyfantastico
    Misskittyfantastico Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Looks good! Are the trader joes beef style strip things made of seitan? We don't have them in the UK, but I have seitan!
  • dypab
    dypab Posts: 19
    Options
    book marking to try !
  • mollydubs
    Options
    Looks good! Are the trader joes beef style strip things made of seitan? We don't have them in the UK, but I have seitan!

Yup! I typically use westsoy seitan but I did my weekly shopping at trader joe's last thursday and came across their version. Pretty yummy but so is regular old seitan and homemade seitan too :)