Problem with ALL clothes getting too big?

Options
One side effect of weight loss, of course, is that your clothes get too big.

I am almost at my goal weight, and all of my clothes do not fit - I mean I need almost everything new - workout pants are falling down while running, bras could be tighter, jeans have saggy bottoms, and I'm swimming in my pants.

Today I literally fell in the street because I tripped in my dress pants that were too big! It was pretty embarassing. :blushing:

How are you guys dealing with your clothes not fitting? Do you buy new clothes, or just wait until you reach your goal? I have about 10 lbs to go, and I think I may go down one more size.

Of course I am thrilled to have lost the weight, but I didn't count on the expense of replacing my entire wardrobe!!!
:grumble: :noway: :smile:

Replies

• jaminsmonster
    Options
    Second hand clothes! When you get to your goal then splurge on higher quality:laugh: I shop goodwill or garage sales & get tons of compliments
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I'd say buy pants that have some stretch and buy them sorta snug so when you hit goal they will still fit!! I bought a pair of Christopher Blues blue jeans with some stretch last Feb. in size 6, when I put them on my hubby said those are a bit snug are'nt they? well him just saying that kept me from wearing them and last week end I got them out put em on and they were loose to where I wore a belt. I still weigh 150 but I must definately am losing inches!!! You can buy almost anything with some spandex in it shirts, jeans, slacks, capris, shorts, shirts, blouses, jackets, dresses and skirts!! Best wishes and GOOD Job!!!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Second hand clothes! When you get to your goal then splurge on higher quality:laugh: I shop goodwill or garage sales & get tons of compliments

I definitely second this advice, it's what I did through the entire time of losing the weight. There's a huge Salvation Army store I go to, and get tons of great bargains for like a buck each! :happy:
  • cdgibson1
    cdgibson1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey
    what are you doing to get those abs? What was your starting weight? I started at 240 3 weeks ago and have lost 8 pounds and one pant size. I love wearing those baggy pants! Ev eryone is noticing. I want a tummy like yours.
  • LADOGMOM
    LADOGMOM Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this problem...:sad:

But I hope to...some day.

Congratulations on your success.
  • healthiesthappiestme
    Options
    I have had to replace my wardrobe 3 times and I mean a complete change out. I tried to sell some of my clothes at a consignment/ second hand store. That way I didn't feel quite so guilty about buying all new clothes that were not going to fit for very long. It's not easy though. I was so excited that I had lost all the weight and then the reality of having nothing to wear set in. Not so fun! Congratulations on the weight loss. Keep up the good work!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I had several size of clothing so I won't have to worry for another 25 lbs. Luckily I have a sister who is smaller than me and likes to shop. She buys two of things sometimes and gives me one (One day we were dressed alike:laugh: ). I do buy new bras though usually a cup size smaller. Thankfully jeans shrink in the dryer.

Today I literally fell in the street because I tripped in my dress pants that were too big! It was pretty embarassing. :blushing:
  • kjwasmund
    kjwasmund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you have a store called Plato's Closet in your area, check it out! Bring your clothes in and they will give you cash for what they take and they have a great selection of second hand clothes. I bought a lot of stuff there after my clothes were too big. I even got a $100 pair of jeans for $20!
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and kind words! Congrats to all of you guys for your great success! I could not have done this without MFP and all of your inspirations!
    :flowerforyou:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Hey
    what are you doing to get those abs? What was your starting weight? I started at 240 3 weeks ago and have lost 8 pounds and one pant size. I love wearing those baggy pants! Ev eryone is noticing. I want a tummy like yours.

My stomach is not too bad - I keep my weight in my lower body - but thanks. I've been doing P90X for a few weeks now, and I do the ab ripper 3x a week. I did a few hundred crunches before P90X though - it just made my tummy feel better after having my two babies!

My starting stats were 40-31-41... 168 lbs @ 5'8" (that is my starting picture - I need to take a new one) and I am now 148 lbs and 38-27-38. My goal weight is 140 with measurements of 36-26-36. I started at a size 12, and am now in mostly 6's - depending on the store.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    If you have a store called Plato's Closet in your area, check it out! Bring your clothes in and they will give you cash for what they take and they have a great selection of second hand clothes. I bought a lot of stuff there after my clothes were too big. I even got a $100 pair of jeans for $20!

Thanks for the tip!

I'm in Toronto, so we don't have that, but we do have some second hand stores - I should check them out. One is a second hand boutique "The Stock Exchange", but they only have designer clothes (D&G, Prada, etc) - I can't even afford them second hand! I fell in love with a skirt in there, and it was $150!! :cry: Out of my price range for used clothes!
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Well in Toronto we have Extoggery its at Eglington and Laird. Its really good quality stuff for great prices. Of course their are always a million sales at Old Navy I've gotten jeans on clearance for $12.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    yeah... I wish I could say I had that problem...
    BUT!
    I kept all my skinny clothes from about a size 10. Oh, my... size 10 again!!!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I had kept some smaller sizes, but I've almost gone through them! :bigsmile:
    I have a couple of friends & between the 3 of us, we wear similar sizes but are all built differently, so we can switch clothes around.
    Just this afternoon I went through my closet & sorted a BUNCH of too big clothes for the women's shelter. I tried on all my old stuff because with the cooler weather I need something to wear other than my summery clothes.
    I'm pleased that a lot of shirts & sweaters look great, but I'm going to need pants for cooler days.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Well in Toronto we have Extoggery its at Eglington and Laird. Its really good quality stuff for great prices. Of course their are always a million sales at Old Navy I've gotten jeans on clearance for $12.

I'm going to check it out! Thanks! I'm at Yonge & Eg visiting friends all the time!
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I have gone from a 22 (pretty much 24) to a 16. I had some clothes that I had outgrown that I shrunk back into, but I am almost through those. I have bought a few key pieces as I went and usually a little tight. I hit the clearance racks and can find some really good deals. I have looked in a few second hand stores, but I wasn't able to find anything I liked. I buy my bottoms a little tight so they last a little longer. It is a good reward as you go to have at least a couple outfits that fit well. I have altered a few pieces as I went (skirts and a couple tops) to get a few more months out of them. I am currently at a size where they can be passed on to my sister in law when I shrink out of them.

Basically it is a good problem to have. Buy pieces that either have stretch or will fall ok when they are a little big. Hit the sales or less expensive stores. I find I feel better and slimmer in clothes that actually fit. Congrats on your progress! :flowerforyou:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    what about planning a clothing swap party? Get together 3-5 friends and possibly their friends and have them bring the clothes they are no longer wearing for a "swap".
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    what about planning a clothing swap party? Get together 3-5 friends and possibly their friends and have them bring the clothes they are no longer wearing for a "swap".

That is a GREAT idea! I think you would need quite a crowd to get the sizes you need, but its a great idea for sure. If I do it, I will share the results!

And thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice - great ideas on here!