5'3" and unmotivated

Options
Today i joined this site cuz my cousin said it helped her. I think its pretty cool so far! I been goin to the gym on and off since January and cant seem to lose any weight! Im totally discouraged! I like going to the gym when i have a buddy but its hard to go alone! I dont know what to do to motivate myself more! When i look in the mirror i wanna puke so i just dont look any more! My boyfriend loves me the way i am so when i wanna give up hes ok with it so its really easy to do! I like myself as a person just not as a reflection in the mirror! So what should i do to stay motivated? Any suggestions will help!

Replies

• rmarchul
    rmarchul Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    motivation is temporary, you need to make a mental change. Dig deep and find out if being in better shape makes you happier or if you are happy the way you are, its all up to you. You can find motivation off and on, here and there but it is never going to be there 100% of the time. I like going to work out by myself when i do, its time for me to think and reflect on what i want rather then talk talk talk and no focus on myself or my work out. Treat yourself to something when you lose a pound or reach a goal, make small goals to start then pick up the pace once your feeling it.
    Good luck and side note...what makes me work harder and laugh at the same time, Zombi Land he says fatties go first, so that makes me run harder! I dont want to go first.
  • dalessi123
    dalessi123 Posts: 22
    Options

Good luck and side note...what makes me work harder and laugh at the same time, Zombi Land he says fatties go first, so that makes me run harder! I dont want to go first.

HAHAHAHAH I LOVE this
  • rachieepachiee
    Options
    Most people think that going to the gym makes you lose weight but losing weight is 80% about diet!
    If you work out your BMR it will tell you how many calories you should be consuming each day - this website usually works it out for you when you sign up.
    I would also do more exercises with weights - weight exercises for me have been the most effective, but I still like to try and do cardio 2-3 times per week.
    Try mixing it up and do a run, cycle and swim each week.
    if you can't fit that in I would focus more on doing weights, a weight workout can last as long as you want which is a bonus :)
    Take a look at your diet and make sure you record EVERYTHING you eat each day on this and you should notice a difference within 12 weeks!
    Hope this helps :)
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree with food being the number one thing to work on first! Start trying to cut out the processed foods and work your way from there. Also, what kind of workouts are you currently doing at the gym? If you would like, feel free to send me a message and we can talk :)
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You are lucky you can even go to a gym, I have to get creative at home because I have an infant! I wish I could go!
  • mercy4life
    mercy4life Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The post above is correct- 80% is diet, unless you are working out like 4 hours a day! Lol...so for the rest of us, making GOOD choices (not DIET), needs to be a primary focus. My top 3 tips for you:

1) find healthy foods you REALLY enjoy that make you feel like, "wow! this is so good, I can stand to pass up that burger"
    ex. I really enjoy a dense, chewy multigrain bread like Alpine Valley Multi Grain, 81 cal per slice,
    Soooo much better than that flimsy low cal bread! Add any lowfat protein and some veggies- you got yourself
    a sandwich that is enjoyable, not just tolerable!

2) find exercise that is also fun! Ex. I love water aerobics! NOT just for old ladies! MAJOR fat burner and fun!

3) Get your boyfriend/husband on board by asking THEM to find and COOK some healthy meals for BOTH of you :happy:
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    motivation is temporary, you need to make a mental change. Dig deep and find out if being in better shape makes you happier or if you are happy the way you are, its all up to you. You can find motivation off and on, here and there but it is never going to be there 100% of the time. I like going to work out by myself when i do, its time for me to think and reflect on what i want rather then talk talk talk and no focus on myself or my work out. Treat yourself to something when you lose a pound or reach a goal, make small goals to start then pick up the pace once your feeling it.

what she said.

also, find an exercise that you like. zumba is what did it for me in the beginning. it was a structured 1 hour class so, i knew when i had to go to the gym and even if i went by myself, there was a room full of women all working towards the same objective. i've made some lifelong friends through my group fitness classes.
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    Look at going to the gym alone as a challenge - a good challenge. Also, take a good hard look at what you want to accomplish and make goals. I'm going to be honest. It isn't easy and it will take time, even if you are dedicated 100% it will take time. But keep in mind, the weight didn't come on over night so it won't be lost over night either. Get with it! Find the motiviation within. Don't give up!!!! Also get that BF on board. You will BOTH reap the benefits from being healthier together.:wink: