Strength training say what?

Options
So I'm kinda new to this whole excersise thing and like everyone else I want to lose weight and get super toned and muscular. The only problem is, the only way I really know to work out is to just jump on a treadmill or elliptical and start going. I know strength training is important, but I don't really know what to do. Would someone be willing to give me like an strength training excersise road map so I know what excersises to do and stuff like that. I'm 5'2 and weigh 146...bleh

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Here watch this chick she's good

http://youtu.be/kDqklk1ZESo
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women, its like 10 dollars from amazon and will keep you going for months and months. Also you can try stronglifts.com that is a free online program, and I think there is one called starting strength that may be free online as well.
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    Go to stronglifts.com, Do the 5x5 program. I think you have to enter your name, but you don't pay for a membership or anything. I started off with bodybuilding.com, and I ended up doing 8-12 different lifts a day, which was complicated and confusing. Alot of people do stronglifts because its only 3 lifts, with 2 different routines, alternating. One day you do: squats, pendlay rows, bench press and the next workout you do squats, overhead press and deadlifts. Them are the two routines that you alternate between, doing 5 sets x 5 reps. I do it three times a week. Trust me it will help tighten your body up!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    There are so many wonderful things out there! If you like the gym or can have weight equipment at home...Strong lifts 5X5 and especially the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women are wonderful! If the gym/home gym isn't doable then a great place to start is nerdfitness.com It's about using the world around you as your gym and resistance training using your body weight. I LOVE nerdfitness.com and the Angry Birds workout is fantastic. I wish you the best!
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Do you currently have a gym membership? If so, have you used the initial free training appointment? Many gyms offer this and it can help get you started. From there, you can start to mold your own workout. If you'd like, feel free to message me and we can talk :)
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    P90X seems to do a good mix of strength training and cardio.
  • QueenCatlady09
    QueenCatlady09 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will def check those sites out! I have a gym membership with machines and stuff like that too! Its a pretty small one though haha
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just be sure not to work the same muscle groups two days in a row. When you lift weights, you tear the muscle fibers and they need 48-hours to repair. You'll know your doing it right when your muscles hurt the next day.