Protein/Meat for Lunch

Options
SPBROOKS68
SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
I love turkey/chicken wraps for lunch but since I make them with lunch meat and there is so much negative talk about processed foods, please give me some ideas for healthy or cleaner meat/protein for lunch each day!!

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast?

We have a lot of frozen chicken breast which my Mom is able to take from where she works. Free protein :D

I use them in wraps, omelette's, sandwiches, etc.

We also have a roast dinner once a week which is usually chicken, so whatever chicken is left goes on sandwiches for the next day. Maybe you could make some roast dinners? Stock up on veggies, a bit of potato, some chicken and gravy :D
    Great stuff.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Grill up some chicken or turkey breast and slice into strips for your wraps :)
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    albacore and pickles??
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I started buying Tyson grilled and ready. It comes in strips or whole breasts. It could be easily used in wraps or on salads or eaten plain. I pan heat on the stove to give it a tougher texture, but you can take it straight from the freezer to the microwave. Pretty tasty. I'm sure it has more sodium, but it doesn't hurt sometimes.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i cook 3 chicken breasts on sunday night and take them for lunch mon thru wednesday. 25G of protein and only 250 calories. cant beat that.
  • petes287
    petes287 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Buy a whole turkey breast and roast it on Sunday. You'll never buy deli meat again.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    we buy a whole, uncooked chicken at the weekend, roast it on a sunday then slice bits off to take to work for lunch. It lasts nearly a week for about 1/4th the cost of buying cooked chicken breasts!

And you can buy free range & happy chickens to cook rather than intensively reared birds.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Yup, chicken breasts are awesome. Cut them into 4 oz portions, cook them all up in one night and have enough to last you through the week.
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    I like to bring canned tuna and always cook extra of any meat that I make so that I can bring leftovers to work. This week, I sliced a pork tenderloin into small pieces and cooked it at the beginning of the week, half of it in one seasoning and the other half in another. Chicken breasts are a staple though. :)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a Ham or a Turkey breast, roast it, season it and put away some in baggies....slice and make and Chomp de Sammich!:drinker:
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    bird, fish, cow, pig....frog?
  • SPBROOKS68
    Options
    So looks like chicken breasts is the winner - which I do not have a problem with other than they too have lots of added hormones and stuff in it. I just bought a pasture fed cow and that is the best meat EVER - So I might do a roast in the crockpot or on the grill this weekend then slice for lunch next week.
  • SPBROOKS68
    Options

IF I had a man that hunted my chest freezer would be full of venison and wild hog....
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options

IF I had a man that hunted my chest freezer would be full of venison and wild hog....

I forgot deer! Maybe a rabbit here and there too.
  • SPBROOKS68
    Options
    I like to bring canned tuna and always cook extra of any meat that I make so that I can bring leftovers to work. This week, I sliced a pork tenderloin into small pieces and cooked it at the beginning of the week, half of it in one seasoning and the other half in another. Chicken breasts are a staple though. :)

Not a fan of tuna in the can and not sure how this can be considered healthier than lunch meat since it is processed and canned... I do not like the salmon in the packs either but may have to check those out for variety...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said. Just roast some turkey or chicken, slice it up and keep in the fridge for your lunch. My husband likes sandwiches for lunch so this is what I do. I roast up a big batch of chicken on Sunday evening and use it for his sandwiches all week.

You could also substitute leftover or canned fish, hummus, tofu, shrimp, egg or egg salad, nut butter or cheese as the protein.
  • Magna2all
    Magna2all Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Those roasted chickens you can buy at Costco or your regular grocery store are good. Take them home, skin and bone them, portion out into baggies, and there you have easy real protein.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Not a fan of tuna in the can and not sure how this can be considered healthier than lunch meat since it is processed and canned... I do not like the salmon in the packs either but may have to check those out for variety...

Canning something doesn't necessarily mean "processed". Putting tuna in a can is no more processing than putting it in a wrap. Many times it can be high in sodium, but there is low sodium canned tuna. You just have to check the labels for additives. The reason lunch (deli) meats are unhealthy is the added sodium and nitrates.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Why do you need a man to hunt for you?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Canning something doesn't necessarily mean "processed". Putting tuna in a can is no more processing than putting it in a wrap. Many times it can be high in sodium, but there is low sodium canned tuna. You just have to check the labels for additives. The reason lunch (deli) meats are unhealthy is the added sodium and nitrates.

I don't see many cans of tuna swimming in the sea...

It's minimally processed, but processed nonetheless. Processed =/= bad/unhealthy