Any ladies on Mirena IUD?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am about to get my second Mirena put in as the first 5 years is coming to an end. I have had no problem with gaining or losing weight related to it. The hormones in the Mirena are localized and supposedly only a tiny amount ends up in the blood stream. I have been extremely happy with it.
    they certainly weren't localized for me. :-) boobs hurt, migraines, weight gain while counting calories. Then I had it removed and had a horrible hormone crash.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've had it for 3 years now... and while I DID gain most of my weight in those 3 years (80 lbs) I'm not sure how much that had to do with it... I had just had my 3rd baby and became a stay at home mom and was baking and cooking (and EATING!) like crazy.. not to mention I eat when I'm stressed, bored, sad, etc etc etc! LOL But I've lost almost 40 lbs (over the course of a year, not as fast as I would have liked but I did gain about 10 over the holidays because I broke my foot and well... Christmas cookies). I LOVE the Mirena so far.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I had my mirena for almost 4.5 years and I haven't had any issues with it except no periods most of the time. It will expire in january though. I never had weight issues with it.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Though it can affect each person differently....see that ticker down there?

Every ounce of that weight loss has been with Mirena.
  • NomadicKris
    NomadicKris Posts: 90
    Options
    Hmm, interesting thread. I am in the process of looking at getting one as my medication for depression does not work with my cycles which are every 2 weeks at the moment and therefore equals bugger all motivation and loads of unbalanced emotions for most of the time.

To be honest the weight side of it hadn't occurred to me, but for me I think if it can help with balancing out my hormones then I will be able to push myself harder anyway.
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've have my Mirena for one year exactly this month. From May 2011-December 2012 I went from 229 to 246! But I don't blame a single bit on that weight gain on the Mirena. I had a 9 month old baby at the time I got my Mirena (who I had just quit breast feeding only 2 months prior) and my eating habits were worse than horrible and I sat on my butt all day long!!!! Joined MFP and started changing a lot of my bad habits (but still have a lot I need to fix!!!) and in 4 1/2 months I've lost 43 lbs! I don't think my form of birth control has affected my weight good or bad at all. I see what I eat and how much I burn by tracking it. It's a real eye opener to my bad habits!