Mexican Restaurant Help!

Options
Hey everyone! I live in a very small town with no nice chain restaurants. We have a mexican restaurant, and it is the popular place to eat amongst coworkers. Needless to say, we eat there at least once a week on lunch breaks. I avoid going most of the time and eat a packed lunch instead, but sometimes a girl hates to miss social hour! What are some suggestions of things to eat at a Mexican restaurant that are relatively healthy?

Replies

• Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just skip the chips, and stick to grilled foods, with only veggie type toppings/sauces. Skip the cream sauces and heavy cheese dishes and you'll be fine.
  • mrsp1123
    mrsp1123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would eat a chicken taco salad (no fried shell obviously). You can use lots of salsa and any vegies you want. Depending on how they cook them chicken or shrip fajitas would be good. I would forgo the tortilla...
  • wannabeconfident
    Options
    Chicken Salad AND fajitas are both good responses! Thanks!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Drink water, don't have chips/salsa/queso, ask for no sides, split a meal with someone, go for corn over flour tortillas, chicken over beef...those are my tips! :D
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Just skip the chips, and stick to grilled foods, with only veggie type toppings/sauces. Skip the cream sauces and heavy cheese dishes and you'll be fine.

This is a great answer!!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Grilled chicken and Rice for me...
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options

end scene...
  • AmadaLynn
    AmadaLynn Posts: 116
    Options
    Chicken fajita, no wrap! What I get is around 350-400 calories. Not bad.
  • AmadaLynn
    AmadaLynn Posts: 116
    Options

So true, the sour chips, cream and guac will get you.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options

^^^^^^This
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options

end scene...
    LOL!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I always get the grilled chicken taco salad....I dump the shell, and use salsa instead of dressing.....
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Go for chicken or steak fajitas without the rice and beans. if you can just go for the meat and veggies even better. This is what I do when we do Mexican food, I'll order fajitas by themselves and eat the meat and veggies. If I'm super hungry I'll eat the tortillas, either way it allows me to stay within my cals for the day. OR you could eat whatever you want in a smaller portion size and zig zag your calories the rest of the week, because life without cheese enchiladas just isn't a life for me! :drinker:
  • Sweeteater65
    Sweeteater65 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    for some odd reason when I have some chips and salsa (don't go overboard) I always lose the next morning. That may not work for everyone and I really can't explain, but I do enjoy it ever now and then. :)
  • wannabeconfident
    Options
    I'm so excited about eating out now, and I was sort of dreading it before :) Thanks everyone!
  • krclaytor
    krclaytor Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Chicken Enchiladas with black beans and a side salad. For your main course at a Mexican restaurant, have some lean protein, such as grilled chicken breast, fish or shrimp. Another good choice is chicken or shrimp fajitas, which come with vegetables such as green and red peppers and onions. The American Heart Association recommends that you avoid high-fat quesadillas, as well as fatty meats, such as chorizo sausage and fried beef or pork carnitas. Small enchiladas with red sauce can also be low-calorie options.
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas are a good option. I order corn tortillas instead of flour. A chicken salad without the big fried tortilla bowl is also another good option or you can get a single taco and a side salad. You shouldn't have to miss social hour every week!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    If they have something called "molcajete", get it. They can usually feed 2-3 people.

It's a lava rock mortar filled with all kinds of goodies. Common components: carne asada, grilled shrimp, grilled chicken, some tasty fresh cheese, big Mexican green onions, cactus leaves, avacado, chorizo.

Remember: molcajete. Pronounced mole-caw-heh-teh.

Better yet -- jot it down. Don't worry about pronunciation. Just show it to the waiter.

IMG_0877.JPG
  • kryscallarman
    kryscallarman Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I always get vegetarian fajitas with corn tortillas. It's easier for me to control what I eat. Sometimes I don't use the tortillas and ask for a small plate and put the vegetables on it and add some salsa for flavor.

Stay away from chips and dairy (I also stay away from refried beans because they gross me out)
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Chkn Fajitas for 1. Make it 2 meals. Split it in half. A lot of protein in chicken, it'll keep you full.

Avoid the chips if you can. I can't. I typically show up a little later and txt a friend what to get me to avoid that temptation. That way I get there and my Iced Tea is read, and I won't have to wait 15 minutes next to a delicious bowl of chips and salsa.