Fitbit & Bodybugg - Is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• JhKd
    JhKd Posts: 20
    Options
    The BodyMedia seems like the fitbit...am I right. I giving myself more and more options and making the decision harder!

Actually the BodyMedia and the BodyBugg are the same thing with different branding. If you've been looking at a bodybugg, then bodymedia fit is the same thing.

I've been wearing a Bodymedia Fit since February. It's a great device. I don't have any personal experience with a Fitbit, but to me, the BMF seems like it would be more accurate.
  • jennylee133
    jennylee133 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a BodyBugg before but I didn't feel comfortable wearing it to work & it also gave me a rash on my arm, though that was years ago and it has been redesigned since then. I did think it was quite accurate though.

I just received a Fitbit for Mother's Day and I love it. I am not sure how they compare for accuracy but I just use it to get an idea directionally of how I am doing each day and it has been great for that. It has also motivated me to try to increase my steps which I think has been the most beneficial thing for me.

Good luck with whichever you choose!
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Body Bugg!!!! I love that I can see how many calories I am burning!!! That was my biggest question of all. I has been wearing a HRM and using calculators to see calorie burns for work outs. They were always way off. The body bugg & body media are 90% accurate!!! Fit bit doesn't have the acuracy. It's just an estimate by using your height, weight, etc. I wore my friends fit bit and compared it to my BB and my calorie burn was much lower and the steps too were about 500 steps off.

I have the SP version so at anytime I can link it to my phone and see what my stats are. Love this feature. : ) The only draw back is that it's a paid subscription. But if your like me and swear by it then the cost is not an issue. Mine came with 6 months paid subscription.
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit and use it religiously, but I've changed HOW I use it since I got it. I don't rely on it for telling me how many calories I've burned - While it's more than a stab in the dark, it is still only an estimate based on a person of the same age, height, weight, and gender as you, and doesn't take your specific metabolism into account. I had been synching it with MFP for a while and eating back the exercise calories it gave me, but stopped because I felt that it was giving me more calories than I was entitled to. Inistead, I just use it as a way to motivate myself and keep moving. Also, it does have a sleep tracker, but I've found there to be too big of a gap between the "regular" and "sensitive" settings. If I have it set to sensitive, it shows that I only sleep something like 3-4 hours a night, whereas if I have it on regular, it has me not waking up at all, and I can tell just on my own that I'm really somewhere in between.
  • castle88
    castle88 Posts: 27
    Options
    I LOVE my fitbit! Since I've been wearing it I've become determined to spend as much of my day on my feet as I can, just to see the big numbers and the extra calories I'm allowed to eat at the end of the day! On average I've been burning 400-500cal more a day because of this. And I just earned my 500km 'badge' which is satisfying! The sleep tracking if very interesting too and I've used it to figure out that I have my worst nights sleep when I have a cup of tea when I get home from work. Best money I ever spent!
  • mandyk16
    mandyk16 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Fit. Its really a great tool. I think any of them accomplish the same thing though, just to make you aware of your calorie burn and encourage more activity. I have the one that sych's with my iphone so i can check in during the day on my progress. They also have a place to log your foods, but their database is terrible compared to here. I tried for 2 months to use it, and just gave up. i've started tracking my foods here, and using that for the calorie burn. If you get it, try costco, they have the best price and it includes a 12 month sunscription.

On a side note - I have friends who have the fit bit and like it a lot too. All good products, just personal preference!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your opinions and experiences :)
  • hwells828
    hwells828 Posts: 14
    Options
    How does Body Media track your food intake?
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    This is just a guess, but you probably need to input it on the site
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This is just a guess, but you probably need to input it on the site

I think you have to pay for their website to do that.
  • hwells828
    hwells828 Posts: 14
    Options
    Oh - I just think that would be annoying to put my food log on here AND on the other site. I heard the FitBit links to this site so I was curious if body media does the same.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Body Bugg does not connect to this site. I log my calories here (database is better and I was on here first) and use that to get my TDEE.
  • Tojsmom
    Tojsmom Posts: 51
    Options
    Bump....I want to read this later when I have more time
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great thread - Does anyone use the BodyMedia Link with an iPhone4S? I would like to see stats on my phone but have read mixed reviews that it would even work with a 4S.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump... still trying to decide if I need one of these :)
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    BodyMedia users.. if you do not pay for the subscription, can you still get your calories burned without the digital show? I didn't purchase the add on digital. I'm not interested in the subscription. Should I cancel my ordeR?
  • cla49
    cla49 Posts: 1
    Options
    Sorry to have to ask this, but what is TDEE?
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit and LOVE it. Found out I was way under eating based on how active I am. I love how small it is and noone knows I am wearing it where as the other is a big bulky thing on your arm. I have cross compared a running activity with my HRM and it was dead on with my fitbit. Yes the Body fit uses a sensor based on body heat so it may be more accurate but I am maintaining wonderfully eating back all that fitbit says that I have burned and havent gained anything. So that is a plus plus for me.

I also love that it synchs right into MFP. So I set MFP for my BMR and then eat everything back that fitbit logs as exercise! =)

Oh and TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Oh ya and there isnt a subscription you have to pay for with the fitbit =)