Memorial Weekends

Options
OK so this weekend is going to be SOOO tough for me with all of the barbeque grills going. Any suggestions as to how I can maintain eating healthy and still being able to be fulfilled and not feel as if I am going without? Anybody else tempted by the holidays?

Replies

• Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken :)

log what you eat -- the more you see it written down the less likely you are to go over -- get a nice run in in the mornings too
  • AprilPayne24
    Options
    No cheese on your burger
    1/2 a bun or no bun at all
    Super lean meat
    Add lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard
    No mayo
    Grilled Chicken with Seasoning
    Corn with little or low-cal butter
    Lots of fruit and veggies
    Stay away from (insert name here) salad....you name it; potato, macaroni, pasta
    Moderation, Moderation, Moderation!

Happy Holiday Weekend! :)
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to prelog my food so that I can see how much I should be eating before I do it.
  • aurelias27
    aurelias27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's definitely tough at barbecues, especially if you are going to multiple barbecues in one weekend! Here's what I do - I limit myself to one burger and I load up on salad (avoiding the potato salad or having just one spoonful). Maybe you could eat a smaller breakfast / lunch before the barbecue, or exercise in the morning if you know your calorie intake will be higher that day. I generally eat just an apple, and then a healthy salad with spinach or broccoli and oil and vinegar dressing if I know I'm going to eat more than usual in the evening. My weakness are Indian curries - I have to make them once every couple of weeks. And they have to be simmered in plenty of sauce!

But don't worry too much. Good luck and I hope you have a fun Memorial Day weekend!
  • 2befit2
    2befit2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    get up early and get your workout on first:wink:
  • afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    Two words:
    "Portion Control"
    You can pretty much eat what you want, but in moderation
    :D
    Have a great one!!
  • meidson
    meidson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you are going to a BBQ on Memorial Day, can you offer to bring a salad for everyone to enjoy? Salads usually go over well at a BBQ. You can make a tossed salad with lots of your favorite vegetables or a fruit salad. That way you will have a choice that is within your eating plan.

The Holiday Week-end is a tough one. I plan to exercise early in the day, drink a lot of water, and track what I eat. I might stray some from my usual way of eating, but I hope to be on-track again Tuesday when things will be back to normal.

Have an enjoyable Holiday Week-End!
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Log it beforehand! You pretty much know what foods will be on offer, so you can play around with different portions and side dishes in your log to see what fits into your day. Then, when you get there, you have a plan and you know you'll be on track.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I say portion control too...

For me, I'm not going to worry about counting calories but I'll try to be good. It's a holiday, I'll be out of town and it's only 1 day so eh...

I will go for a run early though!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I have TONS of great, diet friendly dishes you can bring to pass. PM if you are interested!!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    get up early and get your workout on first:wink:

^ This

And whether you are hosting or attending the BBQ, bring something healthy so you know that you won't be stuck eating chips and pasta salad all day. A nice big fruit salad is always yummy!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Just because there is a lot of good food around doesn't mean you have to stuff your face with all of it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm PSYCHED for all the grilled meat I'm going to eat this weekend! And yeah, just because there's a lot of food doesn't mean you need to gorge yourself. Work out like a beast and then MEAT
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You have all week to prepare for that one day. You could do the Weight Watchers thing and reserve some calories every day so you can eat a bit more that one day. Portion control and exercising early in the day are good suggestions, too. Try to make good choices just to alleviate any guilt you might feel if you went full bore.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have the best solution for BBQ temptations! I work the entire weekend. no time for fun. it'll just be business as usual for me.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    grilled veggie kabobs, grilled chicken marinaded in lemon juice/olive oil/garlic/lemon thyme, corn on the cob. Yum!! I love grilling!!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Eat chicken, and veggies, then you can have a few treats in moderation because you will be full from the really food :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Sure. Simple answer. Make the right choices.

Also, take some extra time in remembering those that have fought for your freedoms.
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I have the same problem, going to the lake with friends Saturday and Sunday, will be out on the boat most of the time I'm sure, with lots of alcohol there too.. :-( ** almost dread it.. think i will buy some of the tuna and chicken packets, low cal crackers, take some fruit, lots of water and try to swim as much as possible....
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    Options
    moderation + willpower. works wonders!