What do you eat when you feel faint and shakey?

Options

Replies

• MBuckler3
    MBuckler3 Posts: 22
    Options
    I had that happen to me a few times and I was told to eat a banana. I tried it and it works.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    you should go to the doctor to rule out hypoglycemia or any other low blood sugar problems.....The suggestions are great for bringing your level back up, but it is nothing to play around with...your body could be producing too much insulin.

Also could be a vitamin deficiency of some sort.

Better to be safe than sorry.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of things that can make you prone to fainting that have little or nothing to do with your diet (e.g., neurocardiogenic syncope, postular orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, etc.). Go to your doctor if this is happening frequently, just to be sure you know what you're dealing with.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If this happens often I would definitely see a Dr.
    You may not be eating enough or your blood sugar could be low due to some other factor(s).
    You could faint one time and really hurt yourself...don't take chances, go see a Dr. to be sure.
    Just my opinion...
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am going to comment on this without reading any one elses comments so forgive me if I repeat things others have said or what not but...
    I used to have that problem quite often now it is only every so often. I would have hard candy (star mints work well) and juice. I narrowed it down to the kinds of carbs I was eating would make my sugar drop like a rock. Breads/grains at lunch time would cause it for me. I started checking my sugar every day about an hour or two after I ate lunch and then again when ever I felt faint like that, it would generally fall really low around that time.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    fish tacos
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Apple or banana with PB, or a PB sandwich, bowl of cereal, or a protein bar. I suggest you go to a doctor!:(
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    This happens to me quite a lot even though I am full and have eaten enough

I get really shakey and feel I want to faint at times, its quite horrible. Now I try and eat a banana and drink plenty of fluids, but its not good enough, the best solution for me is to eat something which has sugars in it, i.e a chocolate bar or something, but I don't want to eat things high in sugar, calories and fat, so I am looking at solutions for a quick grab when I feel like this

Problem is when you are out and about the only thiing I can find thats quick and easy to do the job is convenient food i.e chocolate

I strongly suggest going to the doctor. Your blood sugar swings might be nothing...or they might be a sign of something serious. It's really best to get checked out to make sure.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic and this happens to me at work if I'm especially busy. My nursing assistants know right away to grab me some chocolate milk (it's fat free) bc dairy helps my sugars sustain and I'm not getting that instant rise then fall off as I do with OJ.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    This happen to me this morning, I had some fruit and felt better.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    This morning after my workout and shower, I felt horrible. I felt shakey, faint, I was sweating.. I would have gone back to sleep if I didn't have to go to work. I have not felt that way in years so i'm not quite sure what triggered it. All Natural Chunky Peanut butter did the trick for me.. Just a tablespoon. and it coated my stomach. Hope you feel better!
  • jgarf4me
    jgarf4me Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    try a protein shake with a small amount of fruit. your diet may not be adequate to support your life.
    Good luck
    Jeff
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into "Reactive Hypoglycemia"? Just a thought.
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to have this happen to me frequently and was told by a doctor that I was probably hypoglycemic. To prevent my blood sugar from crashing, I was told to eat every 2 or 3 hours throughout the day. I usually tend to stretch to 3 hours and it works perfectly. I also try to make sure I am eating a protein/carb combination.
  • N_Bridgeman
    N_Bridgeman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt really helps me out. Its high in protein, and you can get flavours that have some immediate sugar in them. Really makes me feel better.
  • Nvertommen
    Nvertommen Posts: 27
    Options
    I have the same problem, when I have it I try to get something with sugar, preferably fluid, to feel better immediately because it is the fastest way to raise the level of sugar.

Interesting to read that protein has something to do with it.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues. It's usually because I need to eat or I got up too quick. I personally can't use hot tubs or go for long periods of time without eating. I have low blood pressure. My doctor is not concerned just wants me to eat more calories than what I was. (1200 is not enough for me) I keep fresh fruit, almonds, or grab cottage cheese. I also kee water around all the time even if I'm just going to the clinic or a kid's event.
  • annabelsmommy
    annabelsmommy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This happens to me quite a lot even though I am full and have eaten enough

I get really shakey and feel I want to faint at times, its quite horrible. Now I try and eat a banana and drink plenty of fluids, but its not good enough, the best solution for me is to eat something which has sugars in it, i.e a chocolate bar or something, but I don't want to eat things high in sugar, calories and fat, so I am looking at solutions for a quick grab when I feel like this

Problem is when you are out and about the only thiing I can find thats quick and easy to do the job is convenient food i.e chocolate

This happened to me alot when I wasn't eating enough protein. Keep a jar of peanut butter in your car and eat a spoonful or two if you're feeling like this. It always helps me to feel better. Other than that you can try to incorporate more protein into your diet throughout the day to prevent that feeling all together. Good luck!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you taking in?

If I'm faint and shakey, it's because :

a ) I worked out like a fiend and need food NOW

b ) Haven't been eating enough.
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    you want to eat protien... and carbs... like an apple with peanut butter....

the sort of things that will keep your blood sugar up more effectively are protien and carbs....

sugary foods can cause a quick rise and then drop in blood sugar.... protien and good carbs cause a more gradual rise with a slower decline....

^^^^this