Winter Weight

Options
So here in the North East, it's started to get chilly - and I've started to get HUNGRY.

I didn't notice my diet so much in the summer, but now I'm getting MUNCHY and it's more of a challenge to stay within my calories. Does anybody else feel this way? Is nature just trying to tell us to pack on a few pounds to prepare for the winter?

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    So here in the North East, it's started to get chilly - and I've started to get HUNGRY.

I didn't notice my diet so much in the summer, but now I'm getting MUNCHY and it's more of a challenge to stay within my calories. Does anybody else feel this way? Is nature just trying to tell us to pack on a few pounds to prepare for the winter?

YESSS!!! I have always gotten so d@mn hungry in the fall its nuts. This year is no different. BTW, I'm in central PA. For like the past 2 weeks I have been so hungry, and to top it off I've been hurt so I couldn't run :noway: :sick: Not a good combination.

I think its nature that does it, but we shall overcome :drinker:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    is that why i want to eat EVERYTHING in my path all of a sudden these last two weeks???? :noway: :noway: :noway:

i was wondering if it had to do with the cold weather i was doing so well and now nothing satisfies me :grumble:
  • katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    Options
    For me, colder weather = more movies + more warm, comfort foods + less outdoor activities. Plus being able to cover up in comfy hoodies and sweat pants doesn't help much either. Maybe if I set the thermostat for 82 degrees I can beat it! :laugh:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    okay so you guys are preparing to hibernate? :wink:

That's funny - but there is probably a lot of truth to this.
  • mamamia866
    mamamia866 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is nature, unfortunately. that's what other mammals do. they pack on the pounds before hibernating. The way I've dealt with it is sneaking in a lot of recreational exercise. I bring my dog to the park and walk along the trails for an hour or so. before I know it, I've burned 200 calories. If you're feeling munchy and have gone over your calories, just offset it with hiking or bike riding or buy a couple 30 minute workout dvd's for those rainy and snowy days.

and protein snacks!! bars, nuts, smoothies, even just a tablespoon of peanut butter should hold you over until your next meal. a lot of people I know swear by CLIF bars. I know they're expensive, in which case use only for emergencies. Fruit leather is pretty tasty too.

Hope this helps. :wink:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I'm not looking forward to the colder weather either, I hate to go out and walk when its cold. :frown: I do belong to a gym which is good, but somehow i hurt my back a few days ago and its not resolving as quickly as i'd like which isn't helping. I can feel my coat getting thicker!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling this way too. I could go on an eating spree every night. I am controlling it for the most part but its hard. I am also very tired, I think that is seasonal too. I started sleeping in an extra hour and working out in the evening. I have only done it the past couple of nights, but it helps with the sleepiness, and the need to feed.

My kids and husband have been on binges too. I decided to stop buying them easy to grab food, then my husband stopped at Costco yesterday on the way home from work and grabbed a bunch of munchies. I am avoiding the snack cupboard!!
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Excuses! haha ha :laugh: Where I live in Canada, winter generally lasts from November-March :grumble: And most people tend to gain weight...but I actually usually pack it on in the summer lol to me fried chicken bbqs, ice cream, fresh cut fries (I live on the beach in case you didn't notice) are all more tempting than any winter foods hehe hopefully I can use this to my advantage :drinker:

Just think how happy you will be this year actually LOSING weight over the winter, while everyone else is getting "fluffy" to keep warm :laugh:
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    Yeah it's so easy to gain weight in the winter but this year I am going to lose. Just the other day I was SO hungry, I couldn't get enough food! I went way over my calories. So yesterday I just ate a little less than normal and plan to do the same today to offset that bad day.

I got some decaf green tea- mint flavor to drink when the hunger pangs are calling. it really seems to help. I also drink coffee with skim milk.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find I'm Munchier in the colder months.Already am!I does seem though I too in the past was more tempted by yummy summer fair , but that's not the case now.Tackled that hurdle!Actually lost 15 lbs this summer! WOO HOO!I have to fight the urge to overeat during the winter and especially holidays.In past years I was happy to just NOT gain weight,and maintain, but I'm going to buck that trend this year ,and actually lose weight during the holidays.Which is challenging, because there's so many delicious scrumptious cakes, cookie and pies around! i will join the local community center and take advantage of that more this winter.I'll have to get my fill of salad , turnips,squash... (without extra butter or brown sugar)so I won't be tempted to eat too many desserts! I WILL learn to make something I like to splurge on , but a healthier version.And even if no one else partakes of it, I know that I'll have a least one healthier option available to me.And maybe if no one else is, I'll bring some fruit salad, yummy yummy!Even with a dollop of homemade whipped cream will be better than most of the other stuff available.I will not eat like a cavewoman this winter! I don't need anymore padding then I am already endowed with!Now more muscle , that 's another story!:happy:
    Weight as of 10/08/09:170
    Goal for Feb 15TH 2010: 160
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    SOUP SOUP SOUP.......healthy and filling and nice and hot for winter. Soup actually can make you feel more full AND you can make it out of pretty much any vegetable. Just be careful not to go overboard on bread and/or crackers.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Actually, bears have it good: all summer long they stuff their faces with everything in sight. As soon as the weather gets nasty, they crawl into a cave and go to sleep. They lose weight IN THEIR SLEEP, and when spring rolls around they're slim and svelte and start all over again stuffing their faces.

I've been pretty hungry the last week or so too, but by logging everything I eat I've been able to keep a lid on it to some degree. At least I won't have to go on prednisone this year and gain 30 lbs over Christmas, as happened to me 2 years ago :explode: