45lbs in 3 months...help me out

Options
i want to lose 45 lbs in 3 months which is 15lbs a month. I eat 1450 calories a day, a number arbitrarily set by me after having lost 21lbs on a 1280 calorie allotment. When I do workout I usually do 60 minutes of cardio and and another 30 minutes of strength training. Is this good enough to lose 15lns a month?

How often should I be working out? Should increase the frequency of my workouts as well as the time spent working out? Should I up my calories again? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    Bump...I want to hear what people have to say about this as well.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    3500 calories to equal 1lb. Make sure to burn enough, but don't forget to fuel enough. Lots of protein, lower carbs, high veggies/fruit, lower sodium.

Remember if you are strength training you may gain muscle that will shrink your inches, but may not come off on the scale.

15lbs a month is 3-4lbs a week - that is a very high goal. But I wish you luck!
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I think that 30 lbs would be realistic.
    If you set your goal at 30 lbs and work hard you may pass it, but 3-4 lbs per week is very high and if you do not have much to lose it will be very difficult to maintain that.

One problem with a very lofty goal is what happens if you do not make it, or do not remain on track to get there. Many people will just give up, set realistic goals and you will be fueled by success to achieve more
  • jackieb1977
    jackieb1977 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    im interested in what others would say on this too, 5 months in and ive only just reached 24 lbs, it came off quick but slowed and stayed the same for over 5 weeks, have increased exercise to burn over 1'500- 2'000 kcals per day it has started moving again but still at only at approx 2lbs a week. would love to be losing at about 4lbs a week
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight too fast weight compromises your lean body mass. It's better to lose it more slowly and try to retain muscle while shedding fat. You will look better in the long run if you do it that way.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Xia21
    Xia21 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current weight.

If you are at a high weight (like me) then its completely possible, but you dont wanna set your self up for dissappointment especially if you are smaller.

You can add me if you'd like, I'm doing something similar and its working well, but it is hard work :] good luck on your journey
  • timvickroy
    timvickroy Posts: 12
    Options
    45 pounds in 3 months works out to be about 3.5 pounds lost per WEEK (45/13=3.5). One pound of fat takes roughly 3500 calories to burn off. That works out to a DAILY calorie deficit of 1750 calories (3.5*3500/7=1750). This means if you eat 1450 calories per day, you need to be burning a total of 3200 calories per day.

Based on the info in your profile, your BMR is about 1700 calories. You would need to do about 1500 calories worth of exercise everyday to achieve your desired burn rate. 1500 calories is about 2.5 to 3 hours of CONTINUOUS exercise (cycling, running, swimming, etc.). Continuous means your heart rate is elevated the entire time - very little (or no) resting. And you would need to do this every day.

It's not impossible. In fact I have done something similar a couple of times to get down to my 'racing weight' (not for that long, however). It's not easy, though, and sustaining it for 3 months would be pretty tough.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'll be aiming for 20-30lbs over the three month period then. :(

I need to lose the weight because I'm starting flying lessons soon and I want to be able to fit comfortably in the cockpit with the instructor. I am also doing adult swimming lessons soon and I want to wear a wetsuit without looking like a stuffed sausage.

Thanks everyone.