Building muscle on a keto diet

Options
Have any of you booked any success in the gym on a keto diet? I've been lifting on a calorie deficit for about 6 months now and lost fat and built muscle at the same time. The thing is that about a month ago I haven't been losing any visible fat, but I lost pounds of weight on the scale.

I am thinking about going on a keto diet to lose the remaining fat and weight but I am afraid that I won't build muscle, have no energy at the gym and maybe even lose muscle. I've always been eating no more than 120g of carbs a day and I feel fine, I actually feel worse and more hungry once I eat more than 150g of carbs a day. So maybe the keto diet will be good for someone like me to lose the fat and eventually start my bulk once I reach about 12%.

Replies

• jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    I have a buddy who lost 80lbs of fat and gained 25lbs of muscle while on keto diet. He went from 42" waist to 28" waist in about 18 months.

Read mauro di pasquale

http://www.tnation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_mass/eat_like_a_man_part_i_test_driving_the_anabolic_diet

and who do you believe? The men winning bodybuilding competitions or the bloggers on MFP?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Have any of you booked any success in the gym on a keto diet? I've been lifting on a calorie deficit for about 6 months now and lost fat and built muscle at the same time. The thing is that about a month ago I haven't been losing any visible fat, but I lost pounds of weight on the scale.

I am thinking about going on a keto diet to lose the remaining fat and weight but I am afraid that I won't build muscle, have no energy at the gym and maybe even lose muscle. I've always been eating no more than 120g of carbs a day and I feel fine, I actually feel worse and more hungry once I eat more than 150g of carbs a day. So maybe the keto diet will be good for someone like me to lose the fat and eventually start my bulk once I reach about 12%.
    You need to read this then.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/578951-ketogenic-diets-not-good-for-muscle-building?hl=ketogenic+diet+not+good#posts-8235696

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just picked up some BCAA containing protein shakes today, to try to help with this problem. I'm not on a ketogenic diet, but I am am at a significant caloric deficiency (trying to cut body fat) and not getting a ton of carbs, so I'm hoping the BCAA containing protein shakes after I work out help with the loss of muscle mass.
  • nintento64
    nintento64 Posts: 17
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/578951-ketogenic-diets-not-good-for-muscle-building?hl=ketogenic+diet+not+good#posts-8235696

IDEA Fitness member

Well that's interesting. Curious to see if there are people here with personal experience with this.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

How did you come to the conclusion that you lost fat and built muscle?

And don't worry about building muscle while on a deficit, worry about that when you're in a surplus
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have a buddy who lost 80lbs of fat and gained 25lbs of muscle while on keto diet. He went from 42" waist to 28" waist in about 18 months.

Read mauro di pasquale

http://www.tnation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_mass/eat_like_a_man_part_i_test_driving_the_anabolic_diet

and who do you believe? The men winning bodybuilding competitions or the bloggers on MFP?
    And did it drug free?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Well that's interesting. Curious to see if there are people here with personal experience with this.
    I do. Used to compete and got tired of dieting. So went keto in the off season to keep bodyfat low. Didn't add any muscle while on it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nintento64
    Options

And don't worry about building muscle while on a deficit, worry about that when you're in a surplus

How did you come to the conclusion that you cannot lose fat and built muscle at the same time?
  • Acg67
    Options

How did you come to the conclusion that you cannot lose fat and built muscle at the same time?

Strong reading comprehension
  • nintento64
    Options

Right. it's not hard to notice that I built muscle as I see myself in the mirror on a daily basis.
  • Acg67
    Options

Right. it's not hard to notice that I built muscle as I see myself in the mirror on a daily basis.

It's also not hard to be confused into thinking you gained muscle while cutting a bunch of bodyfat
  • nintento64
    Options

It's also not hard to be confused into thinking you gained muscle while cutting a bunch of bodyfat

That's true, but I am sure I gained muscle. Strength is going slower obviously but I am definitely gaining muscle. It might be going slower than if I would be in a caloric surplus, but I am gaining muscle. I just want to lose the excess fat I have quickly and then when I am done with that I can go on a bulk.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Lots of people think they've built muscle because they can now see it. Do research on muscle building in calorie deficit and you'll find out that only certain individuals can actually do it and it's minimal at that. Scientific study will verify this.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That's true, but I am sure I gained muscle. Strength is going slower obviously but I am definitely gaining muscle. It might be going slower than if I would be in a caloric surplus, but I am gaining muscle. I just want to lose the excess fat I have quickly and then when I am done with that I can go on a bulk.
    Gaining strength isn't an indication that muscle was gained though. Power lifters and Olympic lifters gain strength without putting on weight so that they can compete in their weight classes. To gain muscle is to add weight.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nintento64
    Options
    Sure guys.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You asked. It's not like I don't bodybuild or train for a living.:laugh: I've been at this game for well over 28 years and KNOW how it works. You don't have to believe it. Denial is not uncommon in the newbie who really isn't well versed in the science of muscle building. Good luck on your endeavors.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nintento64
    Options
    And especially those 'newbies' , especially former obese newbies will gain muscle regardless if they are in a caloric deficit or surplus. it is only a question of when those muscle and strength gains stop(usually after the first 10-12 months). Only THEN it will be required to go into a caloric surplus (bulk)