Pregnant/Moms Who Breastfeed.

Options
I am expecting :) and have heard.. that breastfeeding your baby can help you lose some of the pregnancy weight after. I was curious if anyone has had success with losing their pregnancy weight by breast feeding?

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    According to LLL, women who breastfeed tend to loose more weight and more body fat than women who formula feed (including those on calorie reduced diets).
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvoctnov97p115.html is a link to the article I am referring to.

Personally, after the birth of my first I had no trouble losing the weight while breastfeeding and walking a few times a week. With my second child, it was harder to lose the weight, but I successfully breastfed her through my 40 lb weightloss journey here on MFP.

A few tips: While pregnant, eat healthy but don't necessarily eat for two. You only need a few hundred extra calories a day, and most of those should come from healthy foods. Give yourself 6-8 weeks to recover from birth before starting to exercise. Then, only try to lose 1 lb a week, losing weight too fast can affect your supply. If you are serious about breastfeeding, go to a breastfeeding class while pregnant, and also see if you can attend a local La Leche League meeting while pregnant. Having those support networks in place before having the baby can make the whole experience much smoother.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I sure did! I gained about 40lbs with both boys. I lost the first 25 of it without really doing much exercise, and when I did start again, it was easier to keep the weight dropping while I breastfed. You just really have to pay attention to your eating. I know for me, I was hungrier breastfeeding than pregnant.
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I'm am currently breastfeeding my 10 week old. I have lost 53lbs since going into the hospital to deliver him. I gained around 40 while pregnant, so I'm 13lbs below my pre-preg weight. I have a while to go till my goal. I'm sure that nursing is helping alot. Breastfeeding is actually listed as a food on here, you get -500 calories if you are nursing full time. I'm trying VERY hard to eat good calories, lots of almonds, peanut butter ect.
  • crysgwinn
    crysgwinn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my baby weight after my last two by breast feeding...........But unfortunately I put it right back on, after I stopped. Now six years later, here I am on MFP! ; )
  • micbegin
    micbegin Posts: 9
    Options
    I breastfed both my boys for a year. I certainly lost the baby weight within 6 weeks... it was the extra stuff that I'm still battling. I really think the most important thing is to be careful while you're pregnant to not gain extra weight. I gained 50 with my first and 45 with my second :X NOT GOOD!

Breastfeeding is so good for you in other ways too - and certainly the best thing for your baby!!

Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!!! <3
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

Breastfeeding does not always equal weight loss. Sure, you should lose weight in the beginning just due to the fact that *hopefully* most of the weight you put on was baby weight. However, neither of the times I breastfed (a singleton and then twins) did it actually help 'melt the pounds away'. Some women experience it, others don't, unfortunately.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I gained around 20 lbs with my first two pregnancies and lost it all within a week while breastfeeding. I just had my third 8 weeks ago and lost most of the 35 lbs I gained within a month, but I'm still holding on to some. After having my first baby I actually was too skinny while breastfeeding. This time (11 years later with a crummier metabolism) I'm trying to find a balance between maintaining my supply and losing weight. I was allowing myself 500 extra calories (available in the food database) for breastfeeding, and after seeing that my supply was okay I switched to 300 extra calories a day. If I ever feel hungry at the end of the day I eat a little more without feeling bad. I know my body needs it because on the days I felt hungry and didn't eat my supply dropped. Breastfeeding isn't magic, so don't be discouraged if the weight doesn't melt off. If anything I think it makes losing weight harder sometimes because I can't just workout like a maniac and eat super lean. Obviously breastfeeding is worth losing weight a little more slowly, though, if that ends up being the case.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i mean if anyone wants to go on a dry run before pregancy to compare , heck ill volinteer considering its for medical purposes ill get no enjoyment out of it ....shifts eyes
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding supposedly burns around 500 calories a day (assuming you're only breastfeeding and not supplementing). Obviously you still need to watch what you're eating, but if you eat well while nursing, you should find you lose weight steadily. I breastfed my 4 children, and for me I could drop the first 20-25 pounds pretty quickly with no effort.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i mean if anyone wants to go on a dry run before pregancy to compare , heck ill volinteer considering its for medical purposes ill get no enjoyment out of it ....shifts eyes

hehehe :laugh:
  • justdoit_steph
    Options
    I breastfed my son for 2 years and I didn't lose any weight. However, after I stopped nursing the weight did come off with hard work. I was under the impression that the weight would just melt off since I was nursing and this just wasn't the case in my situation. However, all that being said if I was ever to have another baby I would still nurse. It is such a special bond that I can't even begin to describe BUT it is very special :)
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    I breastfed both of my children and it did not make me lose weight. of course, I was not watching what I ate, either. I indulged with food up until recently because I was so happy I COULD eat after suffering from hyperemesis for the entire pregnancy with my daughter (my first) . I put on 88 pounds from before I was pregnant through the 2 pregnancies and while I was breastfeeding.(had my daughter and when she was 8 months got pregnant again with my son, breastfed through the 2nd pregnancy and weaned both of them completely at the same time(my daughter was still nursing at bedtime) when my son was ~14 months old.) I don't doubt it will help you drop weight if you watch what you are eating, though.
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Tip #1 - you are NOT eating for two. You are eating for ONE who happens to be pregnant. Until the last few weeks your baby will not be any larger than various fruits. How many calories do you think something the size of an apple would honestly need? Add that many more to your diet. No more, unless advised by a doctor.
    Tip #2 - Make sure the calories you are giving your little one are healthy!! Cannot stress that one enough. Yes diet coke in moderate quantities will not hurt your baby, but not having it will be better. If given the choice between fast food and a nutirent dense salad go with the salad. Every time. Eat a variety of fruits, veggies, lean meats, dairy, etc. Each nutrient you take in will do something amazing for your baby. Eating an extra serving of fish a week during the second trimest will aid in brain development, eating healthy fats in the thrid will help baby to bulk up, etc.
    Tip #3 - Keep exercsing. If you already run, keep running, if you're a walker don't stop! Even into the last weeks (unless you're on bed rest or something obviously), just don't start anything too strenous if you're not accustomed to it. Walking and squats/lunges will be your friend during labour. I promise.
    Tip #4 - Yes, breast feed if you can. Not just for the benefits to you (and there are tons) but also for the benefits to your baby (even more than you).

Last thing I want to add... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* I have!

With my first I gained about 55 pounds during pregnancy. Within 4 months of her birth, I was at least 15 pounds UNDER my pre-pregnancy weight -- nearly back to my high school weight. That continued, and then I got pregnant with my second child while I was still nursing my first. I didn't gain as much with him, but it still all came off within a couple of months of nursing.

You need to be careful to eat enough. A lot of women have trouble losing the weight even with nursing, and it's often because they eat too little. Breastfeeding burns a LOT of calories -- 500 per day for the average infant. Your body will take nutrition from your food and give it to the baby before it gives it to you while you're nursing. That's how it works. Your body's first priority becomes the baby, so you could be severely malnourished and still have high-quality milk. So make sure you're eating enough to cover the calorie burn, and eating nutritious food so you can stay healthy.

My biggest issue was when my second child weaned at 22 months, and I kept eating like I still had a nursing baby. :) Watch that! That's how I gained 35 pounds. :laugh:
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I dropped much of my baby weight during the 6 months I breastfed my son..... but once I stopped I gained some back too. Im sure this was because while breastfeeding I didn't have to exercise or eat "right" because I was burning so many calories and when I stopped my body responded to poor eating, no exercising and no breastfeeding :(
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is true. I breastfed all 7 of my babies and it helped me each time. Make sure you eat and drink enough to sustain your nutritional status. Don't go on a calorie restrictive diet, just eat healthy and get back to exercise slowly.
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    I am almost 32 weeks. I lost 30 pounds a few months before I became pregnant an it looks like its all coming back. will I lose some when I breast feed and with all the calories needed to breast feed can I still lose weight?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I am expecting :) and have heard.. that breastfeeding your baby can help you lose some of the pregnancy weight after. I was curious if anyone has had success with losing their pregnancy weight by breast feeding?

I lost the 20 lbs I gained with pregnancy in 11 days pp. It took a while longer for my hips to shrink to normal and for my body to get back to normal. But breastfeeding helps shrink your uterus back to normal faster as well so you at least won't have that "puffiness" as long.

I will say that I was hardly any more hungry than normal while pregnant but when I was nursing I was ravenous.

I highly suggest breastfeeding though. One of the best things about it is no making bottle at night! Just whip it out and feed and right back to sleep :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I am almost 32 weeks. I lost 30 pounds a few months before I became pregnant an it looks like its all coming back. will I lose some when I breast feed and with all the calories needed to breast feed can I still lose weight?

Many women lose their baby weight while breastfeeding, while others don't lose any weight during lactation. Most women who eat healthy foods and eat to their own feelings of fullness have no trouble losing some weight. Yes, even with eating an extra 300-500 calories a day, many women lose weight while nursing their little ones exclusively.

La Leche League suggests not trying to lose weight until you have recovered from pregnancy, labor, and delivery, and have established your milk supply. This means not actively trying to lose weight until 2 months post-partum. Many women find that much of their pregnancy weight falls off in the first few months. Once your doctor clears you for exercise, try not to lose more than a pound a week. More weight than that can affect your milk supply.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    congrats!!!! :smile:

i b/fed both of my boys for over a year. (exclusively b/feeding for the first 9 months, no formula or food supplements) i lost ALL my pregnancy weight by the time they were each 4 months old.