sodium intake

Options
koneil83
koneil83 Posts: 82 Member
So I am trying to watch my sodium intake now because I had not realized how much was in my diet. However, MFP has me at 2,500 a day. I am assuming this is 2,500mg but it still seems high to me. Does this sound correct? If not what is a good amount?

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you have blood pressure issues, doctors usually recommend 1500mg. I believe I read 2300mg is recommended otherwise.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    it is correct just dont have more than that it isn't good for you
  • kateva143
    kateva143 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a hard enough time staying under 2500... it's really the process foods that you need to stay away from... and unfortunately cold cuts. Even though many choices are pretty low cal, the sodium is the silent diet killer =/
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you have blood pressure issues, doctors usually recommend 1500mg. I believe I read 2300mg is recommended otherwise.
    This is what's recommended -I believe this change was recent. If you don't have kidney impairment, it really doesn't matter what your daily sodium intake is so long as it is a consistent amount each day. Any more than usual, your kidneys start to compensate, you retain water and BP goes up. I intake 10000mg (10g) salt daily and my BP is 110/70.

Weight and age are the biggest factors affecting BP. Salt is very minimal in comparison
  • bouselhoff
    bouselhoff Posts: 15
    Options
    Does anyone know if it's possible to change the daily sodium goal in your diary? I can't find anything anywhere..
  • wabrody
    wabrody Posts: 202
    Options
    . Even though many choices are pretty low cal, the sodium is the silent diet killer =/

See that makes me nervous. I drink 8-12 bottles of water everyday, and they put Sodium in the bottled water here (22 mg per bottle). They say they put it in the water because it gets so hot out here.
  • Fairlady1964
    Fairlady1964 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if it's possible to change the daily sodium goal in your diary? I can't find anything anywhere..

Go to My Home
    Go to Goals
    Click on Change Goals
    Click on Custom (then Continue)
    Edit the numbers you want to change
    Click on Change Goals
  • bouselhoff
    bouselhoff Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you!!!!!!!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    . Even though many choices are pretty low cal, the sodium is the silent diet killer =/

See that makes me nervous. I drink 8-12 bottles of water everyday, and they put Sodium in the bottled water here (22 mg per bottle). They say they put it in the water because it gets so hot out here.

Uh... not necessary when you're eating a balanced diet (any, really, fresh veggies have sodium). Try Deer Park brand.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    2,500mg is the recommended amount by most doctors. 1,500 if you have high blood pressure. I shoot for 1,500-2000 myself, most of the time I am under 1,800.