What to do when you plateau??

Options
Hi everyone! I have a problem- I'm stuck! I've lost 20 pounds over the past three months or so, but I haven't lost any weight these past few weeks. I'm pretty sure my body has stopped losing weight, although I'm trying to lost at least another 10 pounds. Has anyone experienced this?? If so, how can I get my body back on track so I can continue losing the weight?

I'm 5 feet tall, 129 pounds, consuming 1200 calories a less a day. I never eat back exercise calories.

Please let me know if you have any advice on this. I really appreciate it. Thank you so much! :)

Replies

• Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty low.. I think you need to eat a bit more.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Yep eat more.
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I 3rd that, I eat more, it's worked so far. :D
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Raise your intake to TDEE (maintenance), plus a little for two weeks. This will give your body time to recover from the effects of your previous 'diet'.

Subtract 20% from your maintenance number. Eat that for however long it takes you to lose the weight you want to. If you exercise and want to eat that back, fine. If you don't want to eat it back, fine (assuming you're not burning 700cal/day in cardio).

Unfortunately, most women don't listen initially (or don't get the advice in the first place...MFP is bad about that), and end up restraining themselves into a plateau by eating that stupid minimal number the site gives you. Imagine how much farther along you would be if you had just at the right amount of food to begin with.
  • Tiffany_Felice
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Also a lot of people don't put into account that as you lose more wieght you usually become more active as well which means your body needs more "maintenance" calories. So think about how much you worked out before compared to now and increase your caloric intake about 100-200. Its like reseting your metabolism--Your body needs calories to burn calories. You've been living off 1200 for a while now i'm sure your body is used to "sustaining". If you give it more to burn it will work harder to burn thus more weight loss. Hope this makes sense.
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have a problem- I'm stuck! I've lost 20 pounds over the past three months or so, but I haven't lost any weight these past few weeks. I'm pretty sure my body has stopped losing weight, although I'm trying to lost at least another 10 pounds. Has anyone experienced this?? If so, how can I get my body back on track so I can continue losing the weight?

I'm 5 feet tall, 129 pounds, consuming 1200 calories a less a day. I never eat back exercise calories.

Please let me know if you have any advice on this. I really appreciate it. Thank you so much! :)

Find your answers in this topic..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/599949-tired-plateaud-scale-not-moving-found-my-answer
  • Raeca89
    Raeca89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same situation. I have lost 20 lbs in the past 3 months and have plateaued a bit even though I want to lose 10 more lbs :P
    You mentioned studying abroad next year so I gather you're a student. Just curious, have you moved back home for the summer after the completion of the school year? I know for me, I just finished up this last semester and have moved home for summer. It has been SOOOO much harder sticking to my 1200 calorie daily limit when moving back because I tend to eat out a lot more and don't have access to my school's gym anymore. What *may* have happened in while you're still taking in a net 1200 calories, the foods you're eating are less healthy and/or you may not be getting the amount of exercise you and your body were used to while in school. At least, that's what I think is going on with me. If this is the case, you might want to just be more attentive to where you're getting your calories from or try to fit in more exercise. I know I've been doing alternative exercise like parking in further parking spaces, taking long brisk walks around my neighborhood and taking stairs more often.
    One thing I have ended up having to submit to is altering my goals on MFP. While I still want to lose weight, I know it will be harder now that I'm home and there are SO many food options around me. What I've done is editing my weight goals from 2 lbs a week to 1 lb a week which increased my calorie intake levels. I still aim for the 1200 calories but I'm not so hard on myself if I eat my new 1390 calories a day (which will still lose me a lb in a week). I only do this though because I'm not in a particular "rush" to lose the next 10 lbs... This *could* help you if you're willing to cool the weight loss down a bit but still have that be your goal :)
    If this isn't the issue with you, I have heard from a friend that your body can get so used to a particular workout routine that you get to a plateau. She would suggest varying up your routine every two weeks, incorporating different workouts or switching the focus of your workout. Then go back.
    Hopefully this helps! Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same situation. I have lost 20 lbs in the past 3 months and have plateaued a bit even though I want to lose 10 more lbs :P
    You mentioned studying abroad next year so I gather you're a student. Just curious, have you moved back home for the summer after the completion of the school year? I know for me, I just finished up this last semester and have moved home for summer. It has been SOOOO much harder sticking to my 1200 calorie daily limit when moving back because I tend to eat out a lot more and don't have access to my school's gym anymore. What *may* have happened in while you're still taking in a net 1200 calories, the foods you're eating are less healthy and/or you may not be getting the amount of exercise you and your body were used to while in school. At least, that's what I think is going on with me. If this is the case, you might want to just be more attentive to where you're getting your calories from or try to fit in more exercise. I know I've been doing alternative exercise like parking in further parking spaces, taking long brisk walks around my neighborhood and taking stairs more often.
    One thing I have ended up having to submit to is altering my goals on MFP. While I still want to lose weight, I know it will be harder now that I'm home and there are SO many food options around me. What I've done is editing my weight goals from 2 lbs a week to 1 lb a week which increased my calorie intake levels. I still aim for the 1200 calories but I'm not so hard on myself if I eat my new 1390 calories a day (which will still lose me a lb in a week). I only do this though because I'm not in a particular "rush" to lose the next 10 lbs... This *could* help you if you're willing to cool the weight loss down a bit but still have that be your goal :)
    If this isn't the issue with you, I have heard from a friend that your body can get so used to a particular workout routine that you get to a plateau. She would suggest varying up your routine every two weeks, incorporating different workouts or switching the focus of your workout. Then go back.
    Hopefully this helps! Good luck!

You might also think about reading 3 of the 7 posts above yours for advice you need.
  • lenaelkins
    lenaelkins Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts! So from the advice you all gave, it seems that I should up my calorie intake by 200 calories or so. By doing this, my body will be able to burn more, therefore losing more weight. Am I understanding this correctly? I am nervous to up my calorie intake by that much, but if it's worked for others, I suppose it's worth a try. Thanks again! :)
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There is a group here on MFP called Eat More to Weigh Less. Check out the information there -- I think it's really helpful and supports the recommendations to up your intake.
  • missymaeavila
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised to hear these responses! I have had the same problem. I have lost 38lbs. so far but have not lost anything for about 5 weeks. I have been doing alot of cardio and weight training so I will increase my intake and see if it helps. Thanks for all the advise!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info here - Eat More To Weigh Less: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

I am down to my last few pounds for my current goal, and I was stuck, bouncing back and for between the same 3 to 5 pounds. I upped my calories and within a few weeks, the weight started dropping again. There's a ton of info at that link, it's a lot to take in, and takes some time to wrap your head around eating more calories to lose weight - we've all been told for too long to eat less and workout more, which really doesn't do any of us any favors.
  • mike4him
    mike4him Posts: 16
    Options
    If you have a smartphone or someone with one..find the podcast through an Application called Stitcher called Fit2Fat..They have a podcast right now that discusses your exact issue with a person that lost 200 lbs that is stuck at her current weight no matter what she does. They basically said the same thing..If she eats more she will lose weight..She was not eating enough calories based on her working out and based on her continuing to lose weight..as you lose weight you need more calories for your body to function properly and operate..of course they need to be healthy and good for you calories ..This is probably what is going on with you.....on the other hand there are many other factors that need to be considered and it would be best to talk to a trainer/nutritionist/holistic eating coach about it, because every situation is different and there could be a number of things that could be going on and it is dangerous to take advice from all of us so- called experts when we all don't have enough information about you to make an accurate recommendation... Congratulations. I have found that healthier eating,whole foods, right amount of water daily, enough sleep, cardio and weight lifting 4-6 days a week and less processed foods is the key..typically any food item with multiple ingredients or chemicals are bad for you..Adding good fats to your diet and increasing your weight training have been key for most women I or my wife have spoken to (she has been in health/fitness and has been a personal trainer for over 25 years, by the way) It seems like women don't do enough weight lifting and that is a big area that my wife struggles to try to help women to lose weight and get healthier by doing it..and if you do it the right way you will not bulk up ..but tone and lose weight and lose more weight while you are at rest..I wish you the best..My wife's diet and physical body was transformed by following a book she bought at amazon.com for 33 cents called Body By God , a New York Times Bestseller..if you want to get some ideas you may not already have or heard before.
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Also, a new or different excercise may jump start your metabolism. I just went through this and got a new work out video and a bike and finally moved the scale 3lbs. after 4 weeks of the same weight.
  • lenaelkins
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! After doing some research I'm (nervously) upping my calorie intake by 152 calories a day (my TDEE-15%= now 1352 calories a day).

Have other people had positive experiences by following this "eat more lose more" TDEE method? Again, thank you all for your feedback! :)
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! After doing some research I'm (nervously) upping my calorie intake by 152 calories a day (my TDEE-15%= now 1352 calories a day).

Have other people had positive experiences by following this "eat more lose more" TDEE method? Again, thank you all for your feedback! :)

Most of us have. The problem is you won't likely see any real gains right away. Again I'd like to suggest you eat at TDEE for at least two weeks to get your system back in check. After that, subtract your 15-20%, and you'll begin to drop regularly again.
  • lenaelkins
    Options
    So you're saying I shouldn't just jump into my TDEE-15%, but stay at my TDEE for two weeks? I feel like that's a lot of calories (I'd be jumping from 1200 to 1591...)

Again, thank you!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    So you're saying I shouldn't just jump into my TDEE-15%, but stay at my TDEE for two weeks? I feel like that's a lot of calories (I'd be jumping from 1200 to 1591...)

Again, thank you!

But that's the thing...it's not a lot of calories hun, it's what you need to eat just to sustain the body mass you currently have. It'll help your body destress, and get you primed to begin losing again.

Also realize, it's not a lot of calories period. You're talking FOUR hundred calories. Have an apple with a couple spoons of Jif Natural peanut butter...problem solved!

:flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Again, thank you!

Do you truly know how many you used to eat before you made these changes?

Most don't, and when you compare 1600 to perhaps the 2000 you were eating - not really that much in context.