New from (and to!) South Carolina

Options
Cieren
Cieren Posts: 6 Member
Hey there - I'm new here; kind of sporadically tracked calories before, but am trying to do so on a much more consistent basis now. I'm not really sure how much I have to lose - somewhere between 95-120 pounds, I guess. I'm 5 ft 4, and my current weight is 235.

I WAS losing weight until I got engaged in 2010, then maintaining (wedding dress) until I got married...but when I got married, I moved from the Northeast down to South Carolina. Somewhere between barbecue and butter beans, I've gained another 20 pounds. Not cool. Worse - my husband is 6 ft 2 and about 160, and can eat literally whatever he wants without gaining a pound. This makes life a little bit more difficult.

So I'm working on it - I've started walking and counting calories. I don't really like exercise (I'm a gamer, mostly PC games, and very much a geek), and I LOVE food. But I know I can do it with some motivation!

Replies

• diemodemdie
    diemodemdie Posts: 37
    Options
    Well, welcome to MFP, and I wish you the best of luck in your journey! I guarantee that, since you did it before, you can do it again.

Might I make a suggestion? I understand the frustration of someone eating whatever they want and then all of a sudden, they lose 5 lbs. So frustrating! And disheartening! I have a few friends just like that.

But the thing is, how healthy is that for them? Sooner or later, it WILL catch up with them in one way. Maybe not in weight, but in health. So I suggest this in the hopes of both healthy living for all and weight loss for you: dictate what foods are made.

Explain to your husband that you don't want to limit the luck he has with eating whatever he wants. Say he goes out with the guys or something - go crazy! But if you see him eating wings in front of you while you look at wilted asparagus (if you like one and don't like the other), it can be a struggle to press on!

So when you're together, try to make healthy choices together. Explain that his support by his eating differently would be so motivating and helpful to you because you know you're working to make yourself better and he's doing the same. I'm sure losing a few extra pounds is something he won't complain about (unless he's bulking, but even then, there can be healthier ways).

Also, REWARD YOURSELF. Diet and exercise should NOT control your life. If food dictates your life now (or, more likely, your family), that's bad. But if you let healthy food dictate your life, how is that any different? Discipline yourself - but don't ban yourself from something you like. So once a week, get pizza. Or give yourself a day to pig out or indulge in something you love. Trust me, it makes it much easier to think "If I eat this salad, not only am I getting healthier, but it'll make that sweet I get at the end of the week that much more satisfying!"

We're all in this together, and though it's not easy, we're all here to help. Feel free to add me, and welcome to the newer, healthier you!
  • Ociases
    Ociases Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp! I can relate. I moved to SC from VA and somewhere along the way found myself at more than 250 lbs. On a 5'3" frame that's a bit much but since joining mfp I'm down to just under 200 now. My husband is 6'3" with an awesome metabolism (unfair) but that's okay. It's not easy losing weight and being a foodie... Anyways feel free to add me!