I need help quitting the diet soda!

Options
I really want to quit drinking diet soda. Right now I am having 2-3 per day. I also try and drink a lot of water but diet pop is just crap and I only want quality foods/drinks in my body.

I just really like to have one with my salad at lunch- I think it helps me feel fuller. And I like to have one at night with dinner.

Please help! :sad:

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    What kind of help are you looking for?
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    My mom drank nearly 2 L a day and quit cold turkey...Go for it!!!
  • CPRV
    CPRV Posts: 10
    Options
    I started drinking mineral water (soda water) with lemon, just make sure you get the brands with very low sodium.
  • midnightangelz
    Options
    From your tracker you just quit smoking. HUGE GRATS on that accomplishment. 2-3 diet sodas a day will not hurt you too much right now, and trying to quit something else that you like, so soon on the heals of stopping smoking, could cause both programs to fail.
    IMO - keep your 2 diet sodas a day for now (swith to caffine free diet if you like), and give yourself a few months to keep with your no-smoking and calorie goal before you decide to cut out your 'reward' of the soda.

Good luck!
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    3 weeks ago I switched to Crystal Light. It's worked really well at breaking me from the soda and getting me to drink more water. I use 1 packet of the wild strawberry "energy" formula per day for my caffeine "needs" and usually use one other packet per day (the kind you put in a bottle of water). My goal is ultimately to get off that too since it's not natural either, but I felt like it was better to use it to get off the carbonation.

Good Luck!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Start drinking iced tea non sweetened. Replace for one of those sodas a day and then in about a week get rid of the last one.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I replaced soda with the sparkling flavored water from walmart. It has the same "texture" as soda but no calories and no sugar.

exercise.png
  • stephcheers
    Options
    Best of luck to you. I was a Diet Cherry Pepsi addict for years. Drinking anywhere from 3 to 6 cans a day. The first 2 weeks were very difficult, but now that I drink carbonated water and flavored water, and water I actually crave that.

It can be done. But like all this being healthy stuff....it's never as easy as you want or hope it will be.

:drinker:
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I basically quit cold turkey, I was drinking 2-3 20oz bottles a day and I just stopped one day. For me it was a mental thing that I thought I needed to have one. I only drink water and i don't miss the soda at all. I think that you need to just try to limit yourself to one a day for now and just make sure that that for every soda you drink to drink at least 8oz of water aftewards. I think for me it was the health benefit that got me to stop. I was so tired of retaining all of the water that I would hold on to after drinking soda.
    I wish you the best of luck and just remember that you can do it just stay positive!!!!

:drinker: :drinker:
  • donamurphy
    Options
    I TOTALLY agree!! :bigsmile: And I SO understand that feeling of elation that comes with the feeling that you have conquered a bad habit (like smoking, for instance)!! You suddenly feel like you just want to cleanse yourself of every other negative thing in your life!! HOWEVER! - it is sometimes a sure-fire way to end up right back where you started. :sad: If you tend to be a little bit of a perfectionist - or, perhaps, OCD - like me - it's even worse! We are the WORLD'S WORST trying to take on the whole war - instead of fighting - and WINNING - one battle at a time!! :grumble: Then, when everything doesn't go just perfectly - we get frustrated - or, even worse - we quit. :cry: I wish I had a dollar for everytime that's happened to me!! :embarassed: My biggest struggle has always been taking things ONE STEP AT A TIME!! :huh: But, so far - this time around - I am managing to overcome my desire to change everything about myself, all at once! I want to encourage you, in that area, too!!! I hear it's the best - and quickest - way to success! :happy:
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I will cut down to 1 after lunch for a while then try to cut that one out cold turkey. I want to avoid the carbonation and the artificial sweeteners. so club soda or crystal light wouldn't really help me.

Man, quitting chocolate, smoking, drinking, and diet pepsi... what do I have left??? LOL The answer is my health!
  • lindsayrose
    Options
    I recently quit drinking diet coke and I feel great. It has been about 3.5 weeks. I don't even really miss it that much. I went out and bought a cheap ($15) iced tea maker. I bought a bunch of lemons to throw into it and it has worked out really well. I wanted to stop the artificial sweetners, I just couldn't stand the taste anymore. The iced tea has great antioxidants and plenty of caffiene.
    This might incourage you, I feel a lot less bloated, and my stomach seems to have thinned out quite a bit. And its only been a couple of weeks. Good luck and just keep reminding yourself of how it doesn't do anything good for you, so why bother.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I quit April 30th - not even a sip since....

I started by drinking 8 oz of water BEFORE I would allow myself a soda...everytime I wanted one. Then I challenged my family to no sodas for any of us in May - we're all about winning so we all did it-they all started back and I have kept right on going....don't really desire them at all anymore. I like a treat of Crystal light once in a while for some flavor but pretty much I drink water and couple cups of coffee each day.
  • lindsayrose
    Options
    ShellyBelly where did you get your no smoking ticker? I recently quite smoking to and would like a ticker for encouragement. TX