Protein & Calories

Options
Is it bad to go over your protein count for the day even if you stay below your calorie intake?

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Not at all... MFP puts protein way too low...
  • cmoon00
    cmoon00 Posts: 18
    Options
    Great! Thank you for replying, I appreciate it :smile:
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    not sure why but protien is the one thing I do feel good about going over!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Nope in fact I need to add more blood into my protein stream.:laugh:
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    just make sure you drink a lot of water to flush out the extra... someone shared that too much protein plays havoc on your kidney? yeah... anyway, you should always drink water... :)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    just make sure you drink a lot of water to flush out the extra... someone shared that too much protein plays havoc on your kidney? yeah... anyway, you should always drink water... :)

My sis in law is a registered dietician and she told me that too much protein is bad for kidneys.
  • cmoon00
    cmoon00 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've heard that too much is a bad thing as well. Always seems like one of those things for women that is so hard to calculate how much is a good amount and how much is just too much!

I really appreciate everyone's comments, thank you all for the help!!
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too much is a bad thing as well. Always seems like one of those things for women that is so hard to calculate how much is a good amount and how much is just too much!

I really appreciate everyone's comments, thank you all for the help!!

To maintain the muscle you have now. You need to eat 1g per pound of body weight. If you wanting to build more muscle. 1-1.5g per pound of body weight. For guys to bulk up. They can do 2lb per pound of what they want to weigh. Anything more is to much.

So if you weigh 130. You should be getting 130g a day.

For a guy who wants to Bulk up and weighs 180. But he wants to get to 200. He can take up to 400g a day.

Anymore then whats listed above is a waste and can actual add up unwanted poundage (BodyFat)
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No. Excess protein is just used as fuel/calories and you'll burn it up.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    The amount of excess protein you'd need to cause kidney damage is ridiculous. As long as you are meeting your water requirements, your kindeys will be fine regardless of protein.

Any excess is either used as fuel or secreted naturally. Don't cut proteint when trying to lose weight. As stated the 1-1.5 g per day, even 2.0 g for muscle gain is perfectly acceptable and safe.
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No but just watch what kind of protein you consume. Stick with lean protein sources. Not ones with a lot of added calories or fat.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The Protein itself isn't Stored, but the Calories from it if not used up are Stored. So if you are ingesting to much for your Body. The added Calories from your Protein source are stored as fat.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    NO
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

My sis in law is a registered dietician and she told me that too much protein is bad for kidneys.

Unless you have kidney issues, though, 'too much' is awfully high.

If you DO have kidney issues, of course you should listen to your doctor about how much protein to eat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all as long as you stay in your calorie limit. The minumum recommended amount of protein is generally 1g per lb of LBM which is way higher than the MFP default settings.

You would have to eat a *kitten* load of protein for it to be too much.