Favorite Restaurant Choices

Options
I travel - A LOT - for work, and struggle to make reasonable, good meal choices on the road. I often need to grab a quick meal at an airport between flights, am getting into town late at night when choices are limited,but haven't eaten in hours, or entertaining customers. Anybody else out there got insight on how to manage eating right when the kitchen isn't yours? Favorite restaurant chains to look for? Best menu choices that don't call attention to your diet when with a group? I try to carry some Kashi granola bars in my briefcase, but that only goes so far.

Replies

• bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i don't know if this will attract attention. but I love ChikFilA's kids meal with the grilled chicken and fruit. It's high in protein, low in calories :)
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So, the fried chicken sandwich w/ waffle fries = not so good, huh??? I haven't been to a chik-fil-a in FOREVER. :ohwell:
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • izzy2224
    izzy2224 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out the "Eat this Not That" twitter feed/book series that Men's Health Editor does. The website does best of lists, and the books will go by restaurant and recommend the best things to eat. http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Look into Eat This, Not That. They have suggestions for foods at most major national chains, and they have a smartphone app. Its $4.99 to download, but its a total lifesaver when you're eating on the go a lot. The website also has suggestions for various types of cuisine to make the smartest choices, so that you have guidelines for when eating at a generic non-chain restaurant.
  • kristers03
    kristers03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is a pretty good choice, just easy on sour cream or cheese if it doesn't fit into your daily allowance. Same with Panera, and if you go on panera's website you can customize the various breads and toppings to see the calorie differences. It's pretty nice! :D
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eat this not that app, downloaed today :smile:
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Chili's has a light menu that's pretty tasty, but I'm not sure if they offer it in the airport locations.

I often grab a bagel or regular turkey sandwich and only eat half the bread.

A chicken salad with dressing on the side is pretty standard, but can be pretty boring too.

For breakfast, I just get a side of scrambled eggs from a breakfast place, then add lean meat or fruit as a side. I skip the toast or muffin b/c I try not to eat breads with added sugars (which is why I dump half the bread on my sandwiches... b/c no bread on a sandwich is just weird to me).

Soup is another low cal option if you're not worried about sodium. Avoid anything cream based though.

At taco bell, I'll get an order of beans, no cheese and have them add tomatoes to it. Then I get one taco or something to go with it. They also have a light menu, but again, I'm not sure if they have those choices at the airport.

Another airport option is to fine a "market" and get greek yogurt, lunch meat, and other high protein snacks. I've carried a package of lunch meat through security before. Not sure it's really allowed, but I just left it in my carry-on and they didn't ask.

Good luck!
    Hope you find some good choices!
    Jen
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I travel for work, I always keep a stash of regular oatmeal packets in my bag, for hotel breakfasts in my room (pack a spoon, too.) If you're willing to think outside the menu, you can order "legally" just about anywhere. Just read the menu as if it's a grocery list, and then figure out your own custom creation that you can ask the kitchen to make using ingredients they already have. I often ask them to turn a sandwich into a salad, for example, or swap out an unhealthy side for a healthy one. Most places are pretty accomodating - their biggest challenge is figuring how the heck to ring my request into the register. ;)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I am a huge protein eater and I love beef ribs not pork but beef so if I had to eat out in any city I would look for Brothers BBQ with $40 bucks in my hand ready to chow down. :bigsmile:
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too! Wanting restaurant ideas other than just salads...
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Panera and Au Bon Pain both have a lot of soup and salad choices that are fairly low cal. Ruby Tuesday also has a good menu
  • AmyLiz3
    AmyLiz3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A lot of restaurants have nutrition facts now on their websites. I have been going to my faves and checking out that info and am in the process of making myself a little black book of the best choices. It may be a little time consuming but it is so worth it so far.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    A lot of restaurants have nutrition facts now on their websites. I have been going to my faves and checking out that info and am in the process of making myself a little black book of the best choices. It may be a little time consuming but it is so worth it so far.

GREAT idea!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Zaxby's - their house salad w/o bread w vinaigrette is delish

KFC - grilled chicken with corn and green beans

Texas Road House - 16 oz steak with side salad and veggies *big smile*
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I generally look through the menu for a lean protein that you can get grilled (chicken, fish, even lean beef) and pair it with Steamed or grilled veggies, and possibly a side salad or steamed potatoes.

I just ask for no oil or butter on my food. If anyone gives you a strange look, just tell them, you don't care for greasy food.

When it gets to the table, I squeeze a lemon over the meat and veggies.
  • kimpossible471
    Options

GREAT idea!

I really like this!!
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    I generally look through the menu for a lean protein that you can get grilled (chicken, fish, even lean beef) and pair it with Steamed or grilled veggies, and possibly a side salad or steamed potatoes.

I just ask for no oil or butter on my food. If anyone gives you a strange look, just tell them, you don't care for greasy food.

When it gets to the table, I squeeze a lemon over the meat and veggies.

I hadn't thought of the lemon...this sounds fairly workable...even at a steak house. Thanks!
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I went out to Applebee's the other night and had their Chicken Dijon and Portabellos off the under 550 menu. That was the first time I'd eaten out since starting MFP so I was trying to make the right choices but I wasn't real confident it would taste very good. I couldn't have been more wrong! It was far better than my usual selection from there (Quesadilla Burger or a pasta dish). It was only 470 calories.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory has a "Skinnylicious" menu that is pretty good. Everything I have tried from t has been really really tasty.