100+ pounds to lose

TheGoblinRoad
TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I find it baffling that I need to lose this much.

I remember being in school when I was a kid and there was this one day in Gym class where everyone lined up to weigh ourselves (with everyone looking on) and I was the heaviest kid in the class.

I weighed 89 pounds!

But really, at most I was 5 lbs overweight. Unfortunately, rather than being encouraged to join a sports team, I was put on my first diet, and began decades of yo-yoing.

I've decided in advance, that if my kids (the ones I don't yet have) ever have a weight problem, the first thing I'm going to do is just say "Let's go for a hike" or something like that, and see if they'd be interested in a sports team. I don't think promoting dieting when they're kids is going to work out well for most.

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    That's definately a step in the right direction to break the chain. My whole family is overweight so no one ever did anything to help me lose weight... because I was "normal" just like them. Now I understand what was wrong with that.... and I vow to never let me kids (that i don't have yet) become like me.

Healthy snacks and exercise!
  • RXchic
    RXchic Posts: 47
    Hang in there - it can be done! Try not to look at the total number of pounds you need to lose. It can be too overwhelming. I too have a lot of weight to lose - total wt loss goal of 103lbs. I try to take things in 20lbs increments and I have just passed my half way mark :tongue: Kids are a great motivator. Setting a healthy example for my toddler is what finally drove me to the treadmill.
    Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    I agree! my parents never had us doing anything physical, and they wonder why I had a weight problem throughou life! Now that I have a daughter that's all changed!
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    I don't believe in putting kids on diets. My little girl is 2 and before I put her on a diet, I'd work on exercising with her.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    If kids are still young enough to learn how to eat and they're not consistently making their own choices - like teenagers - then of course no diet is in order. Besides just getting them up and playing though, I would be feeding my kids (the ones I don't have yet) healthier foods in general if I realized they had a problem. And yes dessert would still be on the menu. :bigsmile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    I now weigh less than I did in middle school. Once I break 200 lbs, I'll weigh less than I did in 6th grade. My parents never taught me proper eating habits, just to clean my plate. I've had to teach myself. But fear is a good reason for learning - I'm now the only person in my entire immediate family without diabetes.

I intend to keep it that way.
  • Yerika
    Yerika Posts: 5
    I agree. It's really hurtful that parents tell kids flat out that they are fat. My dad has been calling me fatty since the 5th grade :angry: and when i was at my lightest 115 lbs he still called me that, landing me at the hospital severly anemic and with anorexia. :huh: So now i'm having a hard time with my sefl image. I look in the mirror and think: :eww gross! :sick:
This discussion has been closed.